+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving province after PR because of discrimination? Any advice?

delpi

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
ashuindian said:
Which provinces are called Atlantic region area? Are you from Pakistan?
New foundland
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island .
He is an European not from Pakistan, it is written in his replies.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
arcticbeans said:
Does anyone have experience of moving province after gaining PR?

We landed and activated our PR just over three months ago, at first we loved our province. I found a job I loved immediately, we bought a beautiful home with cash from our savings, my wife started making friends at mother and toddler groups and everything looked great.

Very quickly though the discrimination and abuse started. I won't go into too much detail but it has become so bad that we have had to move banks three times due to the horrific treatment by staff of my wife. Each time we have had a full apology and compensation from the banks, but it just keeps happening. That is just the tip of the iceberg, a lot worse things happened too.

My wife, who has lived all over the world and has never had difficulties making friends and settling in before has been asked to leave five different toddler play groups as they apparently "foreigners aren't welcome".

Our two year old son's swings and slide in our yard have been vandalised, the people in our street find it funny to send their dogs (rottweilers) into our yard (and onto our deck) to snarl and growl at my wife and son to frighten them into going back inside. I have seen it too, and we have CCTV footage of it all. We have told the police and shown them the footage but all they do is go around and talk to the people, they won't do anything else.

My wife has been threatened to "go back home" multiple times too, including by a " neighbour" who broke into our home to threaten her and our little boy.

So much more has happened too :(

We have now lived in three different places in the province, but still within commuting distance for me, but everywhere is the same. My wife is so depressed that she vomits several times per day and our local doctor says the stress is badly affecting her health. She is becoming too frightened to go outside at all and has panic attacks daily, which is nothing like her.

I have just received the job offer of a lifetime from another province, would we be allowed to accept and leave this province? I have emailed CIC and our province describing the above and asking but have no response yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling very low at the minute. :(
Write a direct letter to Prime Minister, he is talking very loudly about humanity and equally nowadays. He called and established thousands of Syrians and Iraqis in Canada despite heavy opposition from the citizens.

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
ashuindian said:
Racism/ discrimination can happen to any immigrant regardless of their nationality/religion. but generally it is far less in Canada than Asian countries.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The way this is described, there is something fishy on this case.
Usually in the areas where discrimination happens it is not overall.
For example banks - you can get bad treatment by specific person (usually at 1 subsidiary). Most of the time treatment is neutral regardless of client. General hassles are put same way on anybody randomly (for example if new or careless employee does miskate when treating your account). Such behaviour can be described as non professional, but not dicriminatory toward specific person or group of people.

Churches - I do not believe that statement. At least not the literal way it was written. In order to ask in 20 different churches, you need to reach wider area and again such behaviour would be already known and denounced openly (here it is literaly talking about opened discrimination). On the top, you are free to attend mass regardless of your branch of christianity. Worst what could happne is that they maybe asked proof of christianity (I know about such request being done in Taiwan). So they ask for some kind of letter from your home church (to get it in English, French or Latin). That one should solve the problem.

Behaviour of neighbours - the cold and the "I do not care" attitude can be easily understood as discrimination or racism there. It can even be that there was an idiot with a dog not properly secured. But again the way that is described is fishy.

For me it looks more like cultural shock, where you assume, that everybody would behave the same way you are used in your country (where everybody knows you and maybe it is easier to get friends).
And for others to be closed and not to care that much looked already offensive.

The question is, how did you react.
1. In case of vandalism - this should be solved with police and same goes for reckless dogs owners.
2. In case of banks (where many Canadians complain about incompetence), the simple customer approach to swich to the bank that is closer to my expectation
3. When it comes to making friends, it is hardly to await to be invited for the same events than at home. You should not even await that they would care about your problems, kids and such stuff. At start it is just small talk with many many people until your really hit somebody whom you can make your friend. But that small talk is what is required there.

And before everybody bash me about my opinion, think again. The case presented here is just one side of the coin. And since it is so dark and murky it is too hard to believe.
I would even tend to beleive that the starter of this thread is more like to gathering evidence why he has to move to the other province.

My best advice is to contact the organisations that helps new immigrants to settle in the local community.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
vensak said:
The way this is described, there is something fishy on this case.
Usually in the areas where discrimination happens it is not overall.
For example banks - you can get bad treatment by specific person (usually at 1 subsidiary). Most of the time treatment is neutral regardless of client. General hassles are put same way on anybody randomly (for example if new or careless employee does miskate when treating your account). Such behaviour can be described as non professional, but not dicriminatory toward specific person or group of people.

Churches - I do not believe that statement. At least not the literal way it was written. In order to ask in 20 different churches, you need to reach wider area and again such behaviour would be already known and denounced openly (here it is literaly talking about opened discrimination). On the top, you are free to attend mass regardless of your branch of christianity. Worst what could happne is that they maybe asked proof of christianity (I know about such request being done in Taiwan). So they ask for some kind of letter from your home church (to get it in English, French or Latin). That one should solve the problem.

Behaviour of neighbours - the cold and the "I do not care" attitude can be easily understood as discrimination or racism there. It can even be that there was an idiot with a dog not properly secured. But again the way that is described is fishy.

For me it looks more like cultural shock, where you assume, that everybody would behave the same way you are used in your country (where everybody knows you and maybe it is easier to get friends).
And for others to be closed and not to care that much looked already offensive.

The question is, how did you react.
1. In case of vandalism - this should be solved with police and same goes for reckless dogs owners.
2. In case of banks (where many Canadians complain about incompetence), the simple customer approach to swich to the bank that is closer to my expectation
3. When it comes to making friends, it is hardly to await to be invited for the same events than at home. You should not even await that they would care about your problems, kids and such stuff. At start it is just small talk with many many people until your really hit somebody whom you can make your friend. But that small talk is what is required there.

And before everybody bash me about my opinion, think again. The case presented here is just one side of the coin. And since it is so dark and murky it is too hard to believe.
I would even tend to beleive that the starter of this thread is more like to gathering evidence why he has to move to the other province.

My best advice is to contact the organisations that helps new immigrants to settle in the local community.
Please, and what about non Christians?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashuindian said:
Please, and what about non Christians?
When it comes to requirements for other religions praying places, I do not have much idea there (this depends on internal regulation of the religion).
For atheist there no need to attend any praying sessions (unless they want to become religious and then is it is rather to contact the chosen community with such request. There are usually speciall sessions for newcommers into religion).
As for visiting the Churche outside the praying mass, there is no problem for anybody to visit it, as long as he or she will keep the simple rules of conduct (no food, appropriate cloth, some do not want photos with Flash and some no photos what so ever).

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks everyone, we are going to move provinces, hopefully things will improve a lot.

Vensak your responses show that you haven't read my posts properly. If think there is something fishy about my experiences then you are either very naive, very lucky to have led such a sheltered life, or hold such prejudices yourself and want to discredit my experiences in order to dismiss and minimise discrimination.

As I mentioned, my wife and I have lived in many different countries across the world (with far greater culture shock than Europe to Canada) and we have never before had problems.
You cannot visit churches here outside of prayer times and services as they lock the doors, do not speak about something you clearly do not have experience of. Also, a letter does not solve the problem, it is not that simple when discriminatory attitudes are so ingrained.
Neighbours, we would love cold and do not care, to be left alone, well that would be wonderful! Cold and do not care is NOT the same as receiving threats.
As for the rest of your reply, well, as you have clearly been fortunate enough not to be in such a situation and I hope you never will be.

We do not WANT to move province. It will cost us a huge amount of money and upheaval to move, including moving all of our household contents which we had shipped over from Europe. If it was our intention to move provinces from the start, we would hardly have spent $40,000 having all of our furniture etc sent over. We feel we are lfet with no choice but to move. We have tried other places in our province but it is the same.

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashuindian thank you, I will, that's a really good idea. I have also emailed our MP.

We still have no respoonse from CIC but this morning our province have said we are welcome to leave whenever we want without consequences as they are satisfied we did everything we could to settle here. So good news on that front at least.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
ashuindian said:
NB, NS, PEI, NL

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arcticbeans said:
Thanks everyone, we are going to move provinces, hopefully things will improve a lot.

Vensak your responses show that you haven't read my posts properly. If think there is something fishy about my experiences then you are either very naive, very lucky to have led such a sheltered life, or hold such prejudices yourself and want to discredit my experiences in order to dismiss and minimise discrimination.

As I mentioned, my wife and I have lived in many different countries across the world (with far greater culture shock than Europe to Canada) and we have never before had problems.
You cannot visit churches here outside of prayer times and services as they lock the doors, do not speak about something you clearly do not have experience of. Also, a letter does not solve the problem, it is not that simple when discriminatory attitudes are so ingrained.
Neighbours, we would love cold and do not care, to be left alone, well that would be wonderful! Cold and do not care is NOT the same as receiving threats.
As for the rest of your reply, well, as you have clearly been fortunate enough not to be in such a situation and I hope you never will be.

We do not WANT to move province. It will cost us a huge amount of money and upheaval to move, including moving all of our household contents which we had shipped over from Europe. If it was our intention to move provinces from the start, we would hardly have spent $40,000 having all of our furniture etc sent over. We feel we are lfet with no choice but to move. We have tried other places in our province but it is the same.
Here is the problem with your statement:
1. You are speaking of discrimination from all sides and in rather opened way (services, religious services, schools or maternity clubs, residential area).
2. You are speaking of the same behaviour in whole province regardless where you go.
3. You are practicaly accusing the whole province.

Now the facts about Canada:

1. they do have immigration of around 300k foreigners per year (and that is excluded temporary workers and international students).

2. The immigration mixture is of all kind of cultures, nationalities or religions.

3. The range of % of new immigrants in different provinces can vary somewhere between 10 to 30%

With that said, it is rather clear that native Canadians (who are also immigrants just 3 to 8 generations by themselves), had seen or came in contact with all kind of foreigners. Weather they liked it or not, they had and have to cope with it.
And yes for sure some react the way that they fear more foreigners, some do not care and some welcome the situation. But the official government stand is for immigration and against discrimination.

Such enviroment can create local discrimination and even serious one, however it is just too hard to believe for it to be on a scale of province where majority is participating in it.

With the immigration policies, chances are very high that somebody just like you (be it type of religion or country of origin) would end up in the very same province recieving very same treatement. And chances also are that that person would denounce whole province.

That is why I find the whole story fishy.

Other points of your story is, that everything started well. You mentioned, that first starting days were ok and you have even hit a good job. So what happened then? I have seen, that you mentioned having pets yourself in your older posts, so there might be part of it causing these troubles (if you have moved with those pets of course).

Somehwere in this story I am missing the other side point of the view.

And as for the churches, that are closed outside the praying hours, this could be understood in smaller communities, where they want to eliminate problems inside (some might have security cameras while other simply lock the door). But not as some kind of discrimination.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
mf4361 said:
NB, NS, PEI, NL
Ok thanks, means, New Burnswik, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Foundlan and Labrador

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vensak - I know that you don't understand, and I know that you are trying to understand and in doing so have become confused. I don't have anything more to say to you, as to be frank I don't have the time to explain to you how the watch was made when I asked what the time is.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
arcticbeans said:
Does anyone have experience of moving province after gaining PR?

We landed and activated our PR just over three months ago, at first we loved our province. I found a job I loved immediately, we bought a beautiful home with cash from our savings, my wife started making friends at mother and toddler groups and everything looked great.

Very quickly though the discrimination and abuse started. I won't go into too much detail but it has become so bad that we have had to move banks three times due to the horrific treatment by staff of my wife. Each time we have had a full apology and compensation from the banks, but it just keeps happening. That is just the tip of the iceberg, a lot worse things happened too.

My wife, who has lived all over the world and has never had difficulties making friends and settling in before has been asked to leave five different toddler play groups as they apparently "foreigners aren't welcome".

Our two year old son's swings and slide in our yard have been vandalised, the people in our street find it funny to send their dogs (rottweilers) into our yard (and onto our deck) to snarl and growl at my wife and son to frighten them into going back inside. I have seen it too, and we have CCTV footage of it all. We have told the police and shown them the footage but all they do is go around and talk to the people, they won't do anything else.

My wife has been threatened to "go back home" multiple times too, including by a " neighbour" who broke into our home to threaten her and our little boy.

So much more has happened too :(

We have now lived in three different places in the province, but still within commuting distance for me, but everywhere is the same. My wife is so depressed that she vomits several times per day and our local doctor says the stress is badly affecting her health. She is becoming too frightened to go outside at all and has panic attacks daily, which is nothing like her.

I have just received the job offer of a lifetime from another province, would we be allowed to accept and leave this province? I have emailed CIC and our province describing the above and asking but have no response yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling very low at the minute. :(
Interesting story, i didn't know such things could happen here - to that extent. I hope you've moved already and found a better life in the new province.