+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving personal belongings....

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canusa13 said:
I moved from California too. We looked at various options of shipping our belongings and it was just so expensive that it wasn't worth it for us. We sold all of our furniture, decorations, kitchen stuff, etc donated and gave away clothes that we haven't worn in a while and just shipped a few boxes and brought a few suitcases (paid extra). We figured that we're better off keeping only our favourite clothes, pictures, etc than paying literally thousands of dollars to move it all. Our stuff wasn't expensive or anything, so there was no point in paying more to move it to Canada than it would be to buy new stuff. Even packing the few boxes and suitcases was stressful and a huge PITA, so I can't imagine packing, moving and unpacking the whole household. From the money we made by selling our belongings, we bought new furniture, new toys for our daughter, winter clothes (we didn't need any in California), etc. I'm really happy with our decision.
Good plan...especially now with the Loonie at about $0.71 versus the USD. They can sell everything (that can be replaced) in the U.S. and then buy new `stuff' when they get to Canada...and have money left over.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
That's pretty much what I'm doing. No furniture, no kitchen stuff, none of that...I bet I wind up with something in the neighborhood of 20 boxes...so I'm really just looking for a good (and inexpensive) carrier to ship with.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
canusa13 said:
I moved from California too. We looked at various options of shipping our belongings and it was just so expensive that it wasn't worth it for us. We sold all of our furniture, decorations, kitchen stuff, etc donated and gave away clothes that we haven't worn in a while and just shipped a few boxes and brought a few suitcases (paid extra). We figured that we're better off keeping only our favourite clothes, pictures, etc than paying literally thousands of dollars to move it all. Our stuff wasn't expensive or anything, so there was no point in paying more to move it to Canada than it would be to buy new stuff. Even packing the few boxes and suitcases was stressful and a huge PITA, so I can't imagine packing, moving and unpacking the whole household. From the money we made by selling our belongings, we bought new furniture, new toys for our daughter, winter clothes (we didn't need any in California), etc. I'm really happy with our decision.
Oh yeah, I agree. I sold all of my furniture, sold my car and donated soo much before I came to Canada. I have about 100 boxes of personal items that I wanted to keep. I have a lot of sentimental items too that I wanted to keep.

bradybunchmom

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2016
Yeah it is expensive and I would try to purge more however I already did as much as possible. My 4 children and I reduced a 4 bedroom house to about 1 bedroom worth. I can't ask my kids (teens) to get rid of the items they saved when I already moved them away from their home. I would guess that I have a small uhaul truck worth of stuff.

Californiacicle

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
Guelph, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-20-2013
I have to say hi to all of the California folks in this thread. *waves*

When we moved my DH and SD drove our stuff in the biggest UHAUL and I flew with our newborn son. If we ever can bring my mom over we will do the same.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Californiacicle said:
I have to say hi to all of the California folks in this thread. *waves*

When we moved my DH and SD drove our stuff in the biggest UHAUL and I flew with our newborn son. If we ever can bring my mom over we will do the same.
Hello!! It's cool seeing so many from California.

I was raised in Long Beach, Ca, but had moved to Redding, Ca and lived there for 18 years until I came to Ontario, Canada. I never thought I would live on the East Coast side of the map. LOL

How is everyone adjusting to Winter in Canada?

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
bradybunchmom said:
Yeah it is expensive and I would try to purge more however I already did as much as possible. My 4 children and I reduced a 4 bedroom house to about 1 bedroom worth. I can't ask my kids (teens) to get rid of the items they saved when I already moved them away from their home. I would guess that I have a small uhaul truck worth of stuff.
Wow!! You got rid of a lot!! It's hard having to get rid of so much. There were things I would have liked to have kept, but I just couldn't see paying to ship even more than the boxes I already have. Lol
I feel good about the things I kept. It's funny because I miss my stuff. Ha!! It will be so fun getting it and going through the boxes after a few years.

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
Whem my mum and i returned to canada after many years away we made up a spreadsheet that had a description of the item, how many of the item, #, cost per item,total cost and box number. Jewelry and expensive items it is best to have photos. Then you fill out the B4 form and in the ktem area you put in seee attached. I had the list in triplicate when i hit the border with the uhaul. This way they canbretain one list you keepnone and there is a third just in case. If youbuse a moving service the driver needs to have a copy as well

Californiacicle

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
Guelph, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-20-2013
TracyCa64 said:
Hello!! It's cool seeing so many from California.

I was raised in Long Beach, Ca, but had moved to Redding, Ca and lived there for 18 years until I came to Ontario, Canada. I never thought I would live on the East Coast side of the map. LOL

How is everyone adjusting to Winter in Canada?
I was born and raised (37 years) on the Monterey Peninsula. I never thought I'd leave it but a Canadian husband and circumstances proved otherwise. 6 years I have been here and I still hate the winters. My husband complains every winter himself and my son (6) proves that while you can take the boy out of California you can never take California out of the boy. He was 2 months old when we moved but he's a Santa Cruz boy (where he was born) through and through.

We are in Ontario as well.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Californiacicle said:
I was born and raised (37 years) on the Monterey Peninsula. I never thought I'd leave it but a Canadian husband and circumstances proved otherwise. 6 years I have been here and I still hate the winters. My husband complains every winter himself and my son (6) proves that while you can take the boy out of California you can never take California out of the boy. He was 2 months old when we moved but he's a Santa Cruz boy (where he was born) through and through.

We are in Ontario as well.

Monterey is so beautiful! I love California, there is so much to see.
I don't hate the Winters here yet, but that might change once I get a job and have to go out in it. I take the bus to volunteer currently, but on the freezing days I stay home. Lol

bradybunchmom

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2016
Wow so many of us from California :) I was born in California and also spent 36 years there. Also never thought I would leave but I fell for a Canadian. My 4 children are between 12 and 18 and also lived their whole lives in California so this is a huge change for us. We are from Davis in Northern California and now we are in Calgary. I don't mind the winters so far how ever I don't enjoy driving in it. Still getting use to driving on snow and ice. ;)

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
bradybunchmom said:
Wow so many of us from California :) I was born in California and also spent 36 years there. Also never thought I would leave but I fell for a Canadian. My 4 children are between 12 and 18 and also lived their whole lives in California so this is a huge change for us. We are from Davis in Northern California and now we are in Calgary. I don't mind the winters so far how ever I don't enjoy driving in it. Still getting use to driving on snow and ice. ;)
Yeah, I am so afraid to drive in the snow & ice. Right now I don't have a car so not doing much driving.
We were spoiled living in California where you can wear flip flops in the Winter. Ha!! They have been traded in for Winter boots.

Californiacicle

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
Guelph, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-20-2013
TracyCa64 said:
Monterey is so beautiful! I love California, there is so much to see.
I don't hate the Winters here yet, but that might change once I get a job and have to go out in it. I take the bus to volunteer currently, but on the freezing days I stay home. Lol
That was me when my son was home, but now that he's in school we walk to and from every day. I also volunteer at school a lot and work a couple hours in the after school program so it seems like I'm out in it all the time. Blah! My husband and I have already decided we will be snow birds in the future...or if we ever win the lottery ;)

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 23-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
I lived in California for just over 2 years. My husband lived there for 15 or so. Everyone asks why did we move back. I always say that living in California is nice only in theory (after all, it's still the US haha...I mean California is better than, let's say, Texas but still). It's great for vacation but that's about it.