+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving permanently to Canada after landing in 2017- What are the forms and formalities

Nirkap

Jul 5, 2016
Hello forum members,

I wanted to check and get some guidance on what are the forms/gotchas in transporting household goods from US to Canada.

Background:

1. I worked in Canada from July 2015- Nov 2016 and while there, I applied for PR for me and my wife in Canadian Experience Class. While the PR process was going on, I had to relocate back to US for my work.

2. We received my COPR in January 2017 and completed landing in March 2017. After completing my landing we returned back to US in a few days and have been living here since.

3. We received our PR cards in a couple months and the back of the card says PR since March 2017.

4. It is now Dec 2019, my wife and I are relocating to Canada permanently in 15 days. I have some questions on what are the formalities wrt moving our furniture/household goods/car from US to Canada.

Questions:

Q1. Will I be considered a first time settler or Returning resident wrt Canadian immigration?

Q2. What forms do I need to fill out to be able to successfully transport my goods across the border? I have a TV, bed, sofa, clothes, kitchen utensils etc. I am planning to get a U-haul and drive the stuff through the border myself. My wife will accompanying and driving our car through the border.

Q3. Can I expect any challenges in bringing our car from US to Canada? I have had the car since we did the initial landing back in March 2017.

Q4: Are there any gotcha Im missing?

Thanks in advance,
Nirkap.

Nirkap

Jul 5, 2016
Forum members:

Can anyone please guide on the queries above?

Background:

1. I worked in Canada from July 2015- Nov 2016 and while there, I applied for PR for me and my wife in Canadian Experience Class. While the PR process was going on, I had to relocate back to US for my work.

2. We received my COPR in January 2017 and completed landing in March 2017. After completing my landing we returned back to US in a few days and have been living here since.

3. We received our PR cards in a couple months and the back of the card says PR since March 2017.

4. It is now Dec 2019, my wife and I are relocating to Canada permanently in 15 days. I have some questions on what are the formalities wrt moving our furniture/household goods/car from US to Canada.

Questions:

Q1. Will I be considered a first time settler or Returning resident wrt Canadian immigration?

Q2. What forms do I need to fill out to be able to successfully transport my goods across the border? I have a TV, bed, sofa, clothes, kitchen utensils etc. I am planning to get a U-haul and drive the stuff through the border myself. My wife will accompanying and driving our car through the border.

Q3. Can I expect any challenges in bringing our car from US to Canada? I have had the car since we did the initial landing back in March 2017.

Q4: Are there any gotcha Im missing?