+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving out of Canada after applying for PR under CEC category

gc2canada

May 4, 2011
I am currently in Canada on a temporary work permit which expires in Dec 2012. Having gained 2+ years of work experience in the last two years, I was getting ready to apply for permanent residency under CEC category. However, my employer has assigned me on an assignment in another country and I will have to move out of Canada in the next month.

My questions are:
1. If I apply for permanent residency in Canada before leaving, will my application continue to be processed after I leave or will be stand abandoned?
2. Can I submit the PR application in the Canadian consulate of the country where I move to next (not my home country)?
3. Based on the current application processing time published on CIC website (sorry am unable to post links), do I read correctly that the processing time for PR application is same (11 months) whether applied in Canada or to a consulate in any other country?

Thanks for your guidance.

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
You can leave the country after applying, just have someone check your mail in Canada and make sure you have documentation to get back into the country before you get your PR

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
gc2canada said:
I am currently in Canada on a temporary work permit which expires in Dec 2012. Having gained 2+ years of work experience in the last two years, I was getting ready to apply for permanent residency under CEC category. However, my employer has assigned me on an assignment in another country and I will have to move out of Canada in the next month.

My questions are:
1. If I apply for permanent residency in Canada before leaving, will my application continue to be processed after I leave

YES

2. Can I submit the PR application in the Canadian consulate of the country where I move to next (not my home country)?

If you have been lawfully admitted to that country for at least a year... (you can apply to the visa office that covers that country).

3. Based on the current application processing time published on CIC website (sorry am unable to post links), do I read correctly that the processing time for PR application is same (11 months) whether applied in Canada or to a consulate in any other country?

11 months is an historical average of processing times for applications completed in 2010. It is not a service standard.