+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving on work permit from USA to BC questions

jenni_usa

Jun 23, 2009
We are getting ready to move to BC from the US in the next 30 days or so. We have one financed car and one leased car - can anyone verify that because we will be there temporarily on a work permit, that they will be duty/tax free?

Also, when moving all of our personal goods via a moving company - what are the chances that we would be taxed on anything? I am worried that we would get hit with some sort of tax at the boarder and I just want to make sure. Perhaps we are only allowed up to a certain amount of duty/tax free items?

I read somewhere that used mattresses cannot be imported without some sort of documentation that they have been fumigated - not sure if this applies to people coming from the US into Canada as temp residents, but of course our mattresses are part of our furniture & are only used by us. Perhaps this only applied to people importing mattresses to sell or something like that. I just don't want to pay to have our mattresses moved and then get up there and be told that we can't have them as they are really expensive!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jenni_usa said:
We are getting ready to move to BC from the US in the next 30 days or so. We have one financed car and one leased car - can anyone verify that because we will be there temporarily on a work permit, that they will be duty/tax free?

Also, when moving all of our personal goods via a moving company - what are the chances that we would be taxed on anything? I am worried that we would get hit with some sort of tax at the boarder and I just want to make sure. Perhaps we are only allowed up to a certain amount of duty/tax free items?

I read somewhere that used mattresses cannot be imported without some sort of documentation that they have been fumigated - not sure if this applies to people coming from the US into Canada as temp residents, but of course our mattresses are part of our furniture & are only used by us. Perhaps this only applied to people importing mattresses to sell or something like that. I just don't want to pay to have our mattresses moved and then get up there and be told that we can't have them as they are really expensive!!
1. Your goods and vehicles will be admitted duty/tax free for the length of the time the work permit is valid. You can't sell or dispose of them in Canada and must be exported at the end of work permit.
2. From CBSA site, you may want to phone them and confirm see: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s6x9

Used or second-hand mattresses

You cannot import used or second-hand mattresses into Canada unless you have a certificate verifying that the mattresses have been cleaned and fumigated in the country of export. A letter, or any other document that clearly demonstrates that this requirement has been met, is acceptable if it is signed by a person qualified in cleaning and fumigation.

jenni_usa

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks - so does this mean I can't take my mattresses across the boarder then? I definitely do not want my furniture fumigated with chemicals...especially my bed that I sleep on! Since I am technically not importing - I wonder if this is still the case?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

jenni_usa said:
Thanks - so does this mean I can't take my mattresses across the boarder then? I definitely do not want my furniture fumigated with chemicals...especially my bed that I sleep on! Since I am technically not importing - I wonder if this is still the case?
Of course you are importing, they are leaving the US and entering Canada. Phone CBSA http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/general-generaux-eng.html

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
jenni_usa said:
Hi,

Did the financing company allow you to export your car/ bring the car out of the US? For you to be able to export the car, you need to show the title to the car under your name, if you don't have it, a written permission from the financing company should be submitted.

I also have this issue with my car which is also under financing. They (the financing company) would not allow me to bring the financed car out of US unless I pay the balance in full. :(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

BZ Mom said:
Hi,

Did the financing company allow you to export your car/ bring the car out of the US? For you to be able to export the car, you need to show the title to the car under your name, if you don't have it, a written permission from the financing company should be submitted.

I also have this issue with my car which is also under financing. They (the financing company) would not allow me to bring the financed car out of US unless I pay the balance in full. :(
Note, the OP is coming on a work permit, you are coming as an Immigrant, so you have to export your car as it going to be in Canada permanently.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Okay, thanks!

coper034

Jun 2, 2013
Detailed advice for expats living in or moving to Vancouver. Can I drive with a driving license from SIngapore in British Columbia on a temporary work permit?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

coper034 said:
Detailed advice for expats living in or moving to Vancouver. Can I drive with a driving license from SIngapore in British Columbia on a temporary work permit?
1. 6 months, see: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc