+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving NYC -> Montreal - BSF186 form questions + other questions

Lucidlad

May 22, 2019
Hi. I will be moving from NYC to Montreal within a month and have some questions regarding how to move my personal items to Canada.

CBSA needs a BSF186 and BSF186A forms to declare goods.

1) How do I fill them out? Does each item need to be listed i.e Per item of clothing need to be listed separately and given a value? Or can I lump them up and assign a value? What about kitchen dinnerware and silverware? I doubt every spoon and fork needs to be listed as a separate item.

2) Where do these forms go if I plan on using Upack to move the stuff? Does the driver get a copy?

3) I have a collection of semi-expensive scotches and whiskies that I've accumulated over the years - Can I bring those duty free or do I have to pay duty on those because alcohol isn't exempt?

4) Do I need to fumigate my mattress if I claim
SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00 on the BSF form?

Over and above that

For those who have made the move any advice and tips on the least expensive way to move? Is it cheaper to drive the uhaul truck there yourself or better to use upack?

Thank you for any help. After reading through these forums I've already had some questions answered, but lot of confusion to still deal with.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. Lump/group them per category

2. Yes, there has to be a copy of the same list with every separate shipment you make. Not sure how it goes if you ship them before landing, if possible.

3. Had stuff shipped, CBSA officer at the dock asked how many bottles of alcohol we had (they were in the declaration of goods to follow) and said about 10, on actual count there were over 20. We weren't taxed hah.

Lucidlad

May 22, 2019
Thank you very much for you response. Regarding the alcohol issue, from your response, it seems to me that I'm at the whim of the officer I get assigned.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi. I will be moving from NYC to Montreal within a month and have some questions regarding how to move my personal items to Canada.

CBSA needs a BSF186 and BSF186A forms to declare goods.

1) How do I fill them out? Does each item need to be listed i.e Per item of clothing need to be listed separately and given a value? Or can I lump them up and assign a value? What about kitchen dinnerware and silverware? I doubt every spoon and fork needs to be listed as a separate item.

2) Where do these forms go if I plan on using Upack to move the stuff? Does the driver get a copy?

3) I have a collection of semi-expensive scotches and whiskies that I've accumulated over the years - Can I bring those duty free or do I have to pay duty on those because alcohol isn't exempt?

4) Do I need to fumigate my mattress if I claim
SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00 on the BSF form?

Over and above that

For those who have made the move any advice and tips on the least expensive way to move? Is it cheaper to drive the uhaul truck there yourself or better to use upack?

Thank you for any help. After reading through these forums I've already had some questions answered, but lot of confusion to still deal with.
Hi ,

Hope you had moved successfully to Montreal. I am planning to use UPACK. if you had used UPACK services. can you please let me know did you fumigate the mattress or left it here?

Thanks.