+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving my used goods from China to Canada

airliner777

Nov 30, 2011
Hi.
I am a permanent resident in Canada and have been here for 5 years.
I kept my apartment in China. Now I sold it and want to move my belongings to Canada.
Sorry .. I did not complete a B4 Form.
My question is: Will I now have to pay duty when my goods arrive in Canada?
These are all used goods for personal use.
Items include: Sofa, bed, Stereo Equipment, glassware ...all over 10 years old.
Thanks for your replies.
Jennifer

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I'm not a customs expert. What I would if I were you is to contact the local Customs office.

However, my personal experience might be useful to know. When my wife landed in July 2011, I was there with her; I am a Canadian citizen, but have not lived in Canada for many years. We told the Immigration Officer that we were returning to China for a year or two before settling permanently in Canada. I was prepared to submit the list of goods to follow right then, but the immigration officer said to wait until I was actually ready to move permanently to Canada.

Your situation is different, because you have settled in Canada. But if you can prove that the goods are used personal items, you should not be taxed. The difficulty is proving it.

By the way, have you located a company good at transporting your goods from China to Canada? I will need to do this some time too.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Toby about contact the Canada Border Services Agency. You can call toll free or send them an email.

Are you sure you want to move your stereo to Canada? Do you know some appliances such as ricecooker use in China does not work in Canada (unless you use a good transformer with it)?

Due to my recent move to Vancouver, I had experience about transport personal goods from China to Canada. Mine takes about 1.5 months to ship and deliver to my new home in Vancouver from China.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
I agree with Toby about contact the Canada Border Services Agency. You can call toll free or send them an email.

Are you sure you want to move your stereo to Canada? Do you know some appliances such as ricecooker use in China does not work in Canada (unless you use a good transformer with it)?

Due to my recent move to Vancouver, I had experience about transport personal goods from China to Canada. Mine takes about 1.5 months to ship and deliver to my new home in Vancouver from China.
Steaky: Do you mind saying what company you used, and how to contact them? Approximate cost? I will need this information to ship from Zhuhai to Vancouver ... some day.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One company we used was Wil-Can Cargo Group. They have offices in China, Phillipines and Canada. We paid about RMB 14,000 to transport 2 paintings, 5 furnitures, some boxes and luggages of kitchenware & personal stuff. Their overall service was quite good compare to the other company we used in my other home in China. The other company and their partners that we used was not so organized and their final partner company handling our shipment were so lazy and careless. They damaged one wall while moving in and kept on making excuses that setting up the bed was a difficult task and requires a professional to do. We are not bed setting experts but we managed to do it ourself in the end. Compare to Wil-can, the other company didnn't give any advice and the communications between its partners were very bad and gave us headaches.

Here is the link for Wil-Can:

http://www.wilcan.com/offices.html

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Thanks, Steaky. Appreciate the information.