+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moving money to Canada

zeus89

Jan 27, 2020
Hi guys, I want to ask if it is possible to open a closed bank account in Canada before moving there in order to send my money.
The banking system in my country is not professional and probably will not allow me to send the money after I leave to Canada especially that they already blocked the fees I sent to the visa application center when I received my COPR.
Thanks

zeus89

Jan 27, 2020
What country are you from? why would they block the money transfer?
I am a Syrian citizen. I live in Europe. They already did that to me and to couple of syrians I know. They even blocked the application transfer fee that I sent to the VAC, luckily I was able to go there personally and pay.
Is there a way to open a bank account in Canada before arriving there?

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
I am a Syrian citizen. I live in Europe. They already did that to me and to couple of syrians I know. They even blocked the application transfer fee that I sent to the VAC, luckily I was able to go there personally and pay.
Is there a way to open a bank account in Canada before arriving there?
I came across this when I was doing research before I moved: https://startright.scotiabank.com/international-application.html I finally didn't go ahead and open the bank account (wasn't in an eligible country). I did however open an account with Scotiabank after I arrived and got an unsecured credit card (only 3k CAD limit though), and so far am happy with their services.

lilyco

Feb 7, 2018
Being a resident in Europe should allow you to open an account with TransferWise and/or Revolut (as a resident of Europe).
If you can do that, your problem should be solved.