+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving funds to new bank account before "landing"

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hello all,

I got my COPR a few days ago and I am ready to make the move to Canada permanently from US. I have all my funds in one of the major US banks which does not operate in Canada. I am planning to move my funds to TD bank which also operates in canada and I can keep the funds with low maintenance costs.

My question is what happens when I show my funds to immigration officer at the airport which is different from the bank account which I used during my PR process? will it be a problem?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I got my COPR a few days ago and I am ready to make the move to Canada permanently from US. I have all my funds in one of the major US banks which does not operate in Canada. I am planning to move my funds to TD bank which also operates in canada and I can keep the funds with low maintenance costs.

My question is what happens when I show my funds to immigration officer at the airport which is different from the bank account which I used during my PR process? will it be a problem?
It doesn't matter if your funds are in a different account.

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017
@canuck_in_uk
I have questions on the same topic. I hold the PR (since Dec 2017). I am currently in US and intend to move to Canada in couple of months for good. I have a savings of about $100K in a bank in USA. My questions are:
a. How best i can move my money to CN? (Note that i do not have any bank account in CN yet)
b. Would i owe any tax to Canadian agencies?
Appreciate your response

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
@canuck_in_uk
I have questions on the same topic. I hold the PR (since Dec 2017). I am currently in US and intend to move to Canada in couple of months for good. I have a savings of about $100K in a bank in USA. My questions are:
a. How best i can move my money to CN? (Note that i do not have any bank account in CN yet)
b. Would i owe any tax to Canadian agencies?
Appreciate your response
So I called TD bank the other day asking about this. I am planning to open to TD american bank account and will move funds from my current bank account to TD bank account. You can open a borderless bank account with TD once you reach canada.

So you will pay a monthly fee of $5 and it gives you access to do multiple wire transfers between your American TD bank account to Canadian TD bank account ( Yes you should open one more checking account there with TD)

If in any case you think you have to close your american bank account ( can do it online), you can close it after transferring all your funds canadian TD bank account.

I am not sure about the taxing but once you open american TD bank account, the customer service agent can help you to create canadian TD bank account while you are in US without you stepping in canada. You will also get your welcome kit with has debit card which you can use right after you step in canada

Reactions: TEJSUN

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017
So I called TD bank the other day asking about this. I am planning to open to TD american bank account and will move funds from my current bank account to TD bank account. You can open a borderless bank account with TD once you reach canada.

Q1. What does TD stand for?

So you will pay a monthly fee of $5 and it gives you access to do multiple wire transfers between your American TD bank account to Canadian TD bank account ( Yes you should open one more checking account there with TD)

If in any case you think you have to close your american bank account ( can do it online), you can close it after transferring all your funds canadian TD bank account.

I am not sure about the taxing but once you open american TD bank account, the customer service agent can help you to create canadian TD bank account while you are in US without you stepping in canada. You will also get your welcome kit with has debit card which you can use right after you step in canada
Thanks. :)

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017

Do you by any chance know if the Credit Score from US would be considered for securing credit in Canada? or do we have to build it from scratch in Canada?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Do you by any chance know if the Credit Score from US would be considered for securing credit in Canada? or do we have to build it from scratch in Canada?
I don't know about the US to Canada, but for us moving from Britain to Canada, our excellent British credit score counted for nothing and we had to start all over again!