+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from USA(H1B) to Canada(PR)

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
Once again immigration debate has sparked off, and all bills under consideration have country cap removal. June 25 is the date to look forward. Country cap removal means essentially wiping out backlog.
While this is an older post and with the currenti gridlock doubt anything on immigration is possible. Anyways even with qoutas removed this is the best explanation I found online keeping numbers in consideration "
To be clear, it will never be cleared for Indians. Might get worse.

According to USCIS and DOS official data, in FY2017, a total of 138166 employment based visas are issued. Most of them for Indians. (114352 of which is filed with USCIS as Adjustment of Status, i.e. I-485, and 23814 of which is issued by DoS consular processing)

To do the math, as there are a total of 140000 visas allowed, only 1834 (< 1.4%) visas are not used. With per country cap lifted, around the same number of visas will remain unused as it’s impossible to use all visas without issuing more than the cap.

The reason is that any visas not used by other countries are allocated to ONE single most backlogged country. Guess which one it is?? India ONLY.

Indians are issued thousands of employment based visas each year. Due to the per country cap and the split-over rule, China does not benefit from the unused visa only India benefits.

Also the visas are never issued in a first-come-first-serve manner. Otherwise Chinese will have the same timeline as Indians.

With that being said, if the country cap is lifted, Chinese will benefit by getting more visas while Indians will for sure get less visas."

sumit8383

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
No. I'm in West Coast. Living in Abbotsford, BC and Working in Everett, Washington... Around 90 minutes of drive. I work a Lead System Engineer ( Windows Servers & Networking).
Hello, I am working in Everett aswell. Can we connect? I tried to send a private message, but seems like you haven't allowed that. Message me if possible.

crsid

Star Member
Aug 31, 2018
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
25-01-2019
Hello all. I know this is an old thread, but am curious to know if anyone had a similar profile like me. I did my masters in usa and worked there for a while on H1 (Still valid). However I returned to India this march and started preparing for canada PR. Got an invite this august and submitted my profile immediately and the processing is going on. Anyone with similar experience? If so did you face any complications or delay?

Thanks

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hello all. I know this is an old thread, but am curious to know if anyone had a similar profile like me. I did my masters in usa and worked there for a while on H1 (Still valid). However I returned to India this march and started preparing for canada PR. Got an invite this august and submitted my profile immediately and the processing is going on. Anyone with similar experience? If so did you face any complications or delay?

Thanks
I don't see anything unusual in your profile. What kind of complication or delay were you expecting?

cpatolia

Oct 23, 2018
Hi Friends,

Need some opinion on my situation.

I am on H1b with PD of Nov 2016. My employer who is a Canadian is moving all the IT jobs to Canada, they have given me a option to Intra company transfer to Canada with bit reduces salary than USA. I also got a new job in USA and they are willing to transfer my H1b.

As all these delay in getting GC and more stringent condition for H1b, should i move to Canada and get PR later or should continue in USA.

Please let me know your thoughts on this
If you are from India/China, with PD of Nov 2016...you should just go to Canada and get PR and Citizenship.
There is no hope with that PD

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
While this is an older post and with the currenti gridlock doubt anything on immigration is possible. Anyways even with qoutas removed this is the best explanation I found online keeping numbers in consideration "
To be clear, it will never be cleared for Indians. Might get worse.

According to USCIS and DOS official data, in FY2017, a total of 138166 employment based visas are issued. Most of them for Indians. (114352 of which is filed with USCIS as Adjustment of Status, i.e. I-485, and 23814 of which is issued by DoS consular processing)

To do the math, as there are a total of 140000 visas allowed, only 1834 (< 1.4%) visas are not used. With per country cap lifted, around the same number of visas will remain unused as it’s impossible to use all visas without issuing more than the cap.

The reason is that any visas not used by other countries are allocated to ONE single most backlogged country. Guess which one it is?? India ONLY.

Indians are issued thousands of employment based visas each year. Due to the per country cap and the split-over rule, China does not benefit from the unused visa only India benefits.

Also the visas are never issued in a first-come-first-serve manner. Otherwise Chinese will have the same timeline as Indians.

With that being said, if the country cap is lifted, Chinese will benefit by getting more visas while Indians will for sure get less visas."
My 2 cents

Someone from backlogged country like India with a priority date as late as 2016,2017 can get GC before someone from 2012 just by marrying someone from a country without a backlog say an India marrying a German etc.

Now, take a step back and try to understand the reasoning behind that law. Why does all of a sudden the same person is more worthy to get a greencard before other folks who have been waiting for a while? Why does the guy become so worthy by marrying someone from non-backlogged country over marrying someone from backlogged country? Surely, the skill set, experience of the person stays the same. The only variable is a mixed race kids?

Bottom line, demographics matters to the US. They are not against a particular race but prefer to have diversity at any cost. Hence, this country specific quota. Second of all, backlogged folks leaving US is not a deal breaker, there is plenty of talent willing to migrate to US. Simple demand supply economics. As long as folks are willing to come US, pay taxes and not expect welfare, there is little need for US to reform.

HR392 which is supposed to remove country specific quota is still hanging around despite having majority sponsors. For context, congress before mid term in US passed a music law applicable to streaming providers, congress sometime last year passed a law reg salmon protection in oregon. What is the point? If something is important US congress will get it done, period.

Their country, their policy. Try to understand the pattern and make an informed decision. Like warren buffett said, the best investment one could make is in themselves. Enjoy what you do and migrate to a place where you are treated fairly for what you bring to the table.

Reactions: DEEPCUR

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
All legislative reforms like country cap removal to help backlogged folks are pretty much dead in US and I don't see it gaining any traction from here. It had best shot of passing this time as it was attached to DHS Congress spending bill version.. if it couldn't pass despite that, it implies that is could never pass in future in any other form .

As @Samoinp mentioned, Congress doesn't consider removal of country cap as something important to their country as they value diversity so much and I don't see them doing it in future too. This country cap removal thing has been hanging around since last ten years or so in one form or another, but doesn't seem to become law by any means.

Any other broader immigration reforms is unlikely to happen under trump presidency because of Democrat Congress.. only DACA might get addressed in some way

Reactions: OnceMore

EhhCanada

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hi All,
I got my PR back in Nov 2017 and I only did a soft landing and came back to US. Do I need to file any taxes in Canada?