+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US with COPR. Next Steps for PR card

jkkumar

Nov 2, 2016
Hello,
I completed my COPR landing process at Niagara Rainbow bridge earlier this month. COPR was signed after going through my financial documents, but refused to start PR card with a friends address I had, as I told them I will be heading back to US to wrap up my move and move next year with all my belongings. I have read online that many people do this, but unfortunately I was declined at border.

They provided an application that I could use either mail, fax or call to start the PR card, but unfortunately I have misplaced this. I have tried using the online address change tool, but doesn't recognize my details and not able to talk to CIC either since I currently live outside of Canada. I have a cousins address that I would like to use to receive my PR card so they can mail this back to me. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on how I could go about this.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
jkkumar said:
Hello,
I completed my COPR landing process at Niagara Rainbow bridge earlier this month. COPR was signed after going through my financial documents, but refused to start PR card with a friends address I had, as I told them I will be heading back to US to wrap up my move and move next year with all my belongings. I have read online that many people do this, but unfortunately I was declined at border.

They provided an application that I could use either mail, fax or call to start the PR card, but unfortunately I have misplaced this. I have tried using the online address change tool, but doesn't recognize my details and not able to talk to CIC either since I currently live outside of Canada. I have a cousins address that I would like to use to receive my PR card so they can mail this back to me. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on how I could go about this.
So you're not able to log in to ECAS? That's some bad luck at the border, it's usually better to say nothing about such intentions and just land. The reason is they won't start the PR card process without your "official" Canadian address.

If you are a new permanent resident, you do not need to apply for a permanent resident card. One will be sent to you automatically. If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send it using our online tool within 180 days of immigrating. If you do not, your card will be destroyed and you must apply for a new one and pay the $50 processing fee.

What you need to do depends on if it's been 180 days and if you are in Canada now.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

jkkumar

Nov 2, 2016
Thanks Aquakitty. What is ECAS? Could you share a link perhaps? I tried updating the address online, but get error that not able to identify my information. (tired with my COPR no, UCI, App No)

Its only been 2 weeks that I initially landed and got my COPR signed/validated. I am currently in the US - anyway I could do this online or perhaps mail somewhere so the PR card is sent to a Canadian address. I have raised a CIC help ticket as well, but no response so far and I am not able to call them either :(

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
jkkumar said:
Thanks Aquakitty. What is ECAS? Could you share a link perhaps? I tried updating the address online, but get error that not able to identify my information. (tired with my COPR no, UCI, App No)

Its only been 2 weeks that I initially landed and got my COPR signed/validated. I am currently in the US - anyway I could do this online or perhaps mail somewhere so the PR card is sent to a Canadian address. I have raised a CIC help ticket as well, but no response so far and I am not able to call them either :(
Did you try the online tool I linked?

ECAS is the Client Application Status tool: https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/authenticate.do

You need a Canadian address.

jkkumar

Nov 2, 2016
Hi -
Thanks for the link. I actually now see my PR Card is in process when I check status in the link you sent. I opened an IRCC help center ticket regarding this - I didn't specifically get a response on my ticket but looks like they may have initiated the PR based on my ticket because I see my friends address in the tool as home address.

PR card seems to be in process, but I see in the status explanation once approved I will be notified within 4 weeks to pick up at an office? Is this ture or does the PR card get mailed out? I understand in some cases they require an interview. Any thoughts please? If mailed out after approval does that reflect in status as complete?

Thanks again for your help!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
jkkumar said:
Hi -
Thanks for the link. I actually now see my PR Card is in process when I check status in the link you sent. I opened an IRCC help center ticket regarding this - I didn't specifically get a response on my ticket but looks like they may have initiated the PR based on my ticket because I see my friends address in the tool as home address.

PR card seems to be in process, but I see in the status explanation once approved I will be notified within 4 weeks to pick up at an office? Is this ture or does the PR card get mailed out? I understand in some cases they require an interview. Any thoughts please? If mailed out after approval does that reflect in status as complete?

Thanks again for your help!
PR cards are mailed to the canadian address you provided to CBSA at landing. the PR Card processing centre is in NS. there's no expectation that applicants are required to retrieve the card personally.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
PR cards are mailed to the canadian address you provided to CBSA at landing. the PR Card processing centre is in NS. there's no expectation that applicants are required to retrieve the card personally.
There have been cases where the PR is instructed to pick up their PR cards at a local office. Most, but not all of them, were renewal cards.

jkkumar

Nov 2, 2016
Thank you both for your response. Much appreciated - I will update on how my case is processed..