+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Quebec to Ontario

speednab

Aug 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have been in Quebec on PR for few months. i want to know if there is a possibility to move to Ontario without any issue. I mean do we keep the same benefits in Quebec (Social Aid, health insurance, driver licence...)?
Do I have to inform the GOV about my moving plan? What city in Ontario that has Administration jobs opportunities?

Thank you much!

S.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you move to Ontario..

1. You would apply for a health card there which you would get after 3 months. Quebec would cover you in the meantime. Note however that eligibility for a health card in most provinces states you must intend to live in the province for at least 6 months a year. It has happened that persons who left a province after less than 6 months of living there were back charged for their health care expenses but as long as you lived in Quebec more than 6 months, you would be safe.

2. You would have 2 months after moving to exchange your Quebec drivers license for an Ontario license.

3. Social benefits are provincial so it is possible that Quebec has a form of benefits that you may not be eligible for in Ontario.

speednab

Aug 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you move to Ontario..

1. You would apply for a health card there which you would get after 3 months. Quebec would cover you in the meantime. Note however that eligibility for a health card in most provinces states you must intend to live in the province for at least 6 months a year. It has happened that persons who left a province after less than 6 months of living there were back charged for their health care expenses but as long as you lived in Quebec more than 6 months, you would be safe.

2. You would have 2 months after moving to exchange your Quebec drivers license for an Ontario license.

3. Social benefits are provincial so it is possible that Quebec has a form of benefits that you may not be eligible for in Ontario.
Hello Leon,
I appreciate your answers.
I will be moving to Windsor, ON the upcoming July to explore opportunities there. Do I get the financial assistance immediately once there or it takes time to get the approval?
Thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
speednab said:
Hello Leon,
I appreciate your answers.
I will be moving to Windsor, ON the upcoming July to explore opportunities there. Do I get the financial assistance immediately once there or it takes time to get the approval?
Thank you very much.
I don't know anything about getting financial assistance in Ontario so I can't really answer that. Why do you want to move to Windsor and why not until July? I suggest that if you find yourself in Quebec taking financial assistance because you are unable to get a job, that you look for jobs online and move somewhere that you can get one and do not wait until July to do it.

speednab

Aug 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I don't know anything about getting financial assistance in Ontario so I can't really answer that. Why do you want to move to Windsor and why not until July? I suggest that if you find yourself in Quebec taking financial assistance because you are unable to get a job, that you look for jobs online and move somewhere that you can get one and do not wait until July to do it.
I am not able to get a job elsewhere. I have applied to so many.
I want to go to Ontario (anglo) and found Windsor less expensive and has a good community and may be more opportunities than in Quebec
I am waiting to finish my apartment lease to move, so it is at the end of June.
Best regards,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might want to re-think your choice of city to move to, see http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-s-unemployment-rate-9-in-october-2nd-in-canada-1.2419795

Windsor's unemployment rate fell in October.

It went from 9.2 per cent in September to nine per cent in October.

Windsor's jobless rate is still second-highest among major Canadian cities, behind only Saint John, NB.
Sometimes, it is cheap to live somewhere because there are no jobs and nobody wants to.

Here: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labor35-eng.htm you can see unemployment rates in different cities.

speednab

Aug 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You might want to re-think your choice of city to move to, see http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-s-unemployment-rate-9-in-october-2nd-in-canada-1.2419795

Sometimes, it is cheap to live somewhere because there are no jobs and nobody wants to.

Here: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labor35-eng.htm you can see unemployment rates in different cities.
I do understand but the unempolyment rate in Windsor, ON is 7.3%, like in Montreal.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/lfss04h-eng.htm
A lot of people in this forum find it dificult to get a job all over Canada. So I am thinking of starting a small business once I move.
Thank you..

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
speednab said:
I am not able to get a job elsewhere. I have applied to so many.
I want to go to Ontario (anglo) and found Windsor less expensive and has a good community and may be more opportunities than in Quebec
I am waiting to finish my apartment lease to move, so it is at the end of June.
Best regards,
I have moved from Montreal to Toronto. I lived 15 years in Montreal and 5 years in Toronto (I still have a condo there).

Job situation in Toronto is not much better and if anything everything is more expensive.

Now, I know you want to move to Windsor, but like someone else has said job situation is less than ideal there. You would be better off moving to Hamilton (cost of living is cheap), so at least you get a shot working in Toronto (or Mississauga) since there is a direct GO bus line and is often much faster than TTC itself (but more expensive which would be offset by cheap living in Hamilton and if you get a job later on you can move closer to work).

My advice however is to move to Alberta. Like I said in some of my previous posts even a monkey can get a job in Alberta.

Please think about this before you spend even more money on nothing.