+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Ontario to Alberta

mohabeb

Dec 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am moving from Ontario to Alberta before the end of October, I am asking if I should prepare a tax return for 2014 before I leave Ontario. In addition, I am asking if there is any effect on the child benefits and the tax credit which getting from CRA for 2014.
Last question, Should I inform the CRA about my moving plan, and when (Before or after moving ) ?

Thanks,

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello mohabeb,

No, you should not prepare a tax return before you leave Ontario. You should prepare it after the year-end, because the information to report on the tax return will pertain to your activity throughout the entire 2014 year.

The federal governments have benefits and credits in place that are based on one's family income, among other things, as a resident of Canada. But there are other credits that are provincial based, for example, the Ontario Trillium Benefit, which are paid based on one's residency in a particular province. You should look into whether Alberta has any such benefits/credits.

You should inform the CRA about the date of your move immediately by calling the CRA AT 1-800-959-8281.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com