+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Economics Bachelors to PG Diploma in Computer Science? WIll my visa get rejected

thinking_programmer

Jan 10, 2019
I'm moving from Economics to Computer Science and I have low GPA in Economics too. My expectations are not high, just trying to get a PG diploma in Computer science. I"ve been studying about programming and Full stack developement, actively making projects and adding it to github and have lots of online certs since 2018 to 2020. Will my visa get rejected since I don't have years of experience. Counsellors are giving me hell saying that I'd definitely get my visa rejected. Anyone else went through this kind of experience where you changed fields? I'm applying through SDS if that matters.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you have a degree in Economics then applying for a PG in computer science, may be grounds for rejection. It doesn't show progression (academically or career) from your degree. If you have no experience in Computer Science than a PG may not be the correct path. You can try. If you have "lots of online certs then why do you need to study in Canada. That is what visa officer will look at when reviewing your application.

thinking_programmer

Jan 10, 2019
If you have a degree in Economics then applying for a PG in computer science, may be grounds for rejection. It doesn't show progression (academically or career) from your degree. If you have no experience in Computer Science than a PG may not be the correct path. You can try. If you have "lots of online certs then why do you need to study in Canada. That is what visa officer will look at when reviewing your application.
"I do have lots of certificates but that doesn't correspond to a full diploma of 2 years. Diploma would go in really great depths that online course were not able to cover. And online courses have low reputations so having a full PG diploma would definitely help my career by a lot."
Can I explain something like this?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
"I do have lots of certificates but that doesn't correspond to a full diploma of 2 years. Diploma would go in really great depths that online course were not able to cover. And online courses have low reputations so having a full PG diploma would definitely help my career by a lot."
Can I explain something like this?
So you will have to explain why you need a Canadian PG in computer science (can't take courses in your country and online) after completing an Economics degree.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I'm moving from Economics to Computer Science and I have low GPA in Economics too. My expectations are not high, just trying to get a PG diploma in Computer science. I"ve been studying about programming and Full stack developement, actively making projects and adding it to github and have lots of online certs since 2018 to 2020. Will my visa get rejected since I don't have years of experience. Counsellors are giving me hell saying that I'd definitely get my visa rejected. Anyone else went through this kind of experience where you changed fields? I'm applying through SDS if that matters.
Actually, by laws there is nothing like showing progression etc etc. I had a conversation about this with lawyer in Canada. The law does not require anything like that. To make things even murky, your milage may vary depending upon if your application is outside or inside Canada. Outside Canada applications, especially in countries with high immigration, VOs tend to be more errr.... "anal". They stop being VOs and try to be a career counseller. Who the hell are they to say that you qualify for a degree or not OR how does this degree fits into your career plan when the university and the professors who need to make this decision have agreed?

The basic test they want you to pass is called "genuine student" one. That is you are a genuine student who intends to study primarily (almost exclusively?), who will finish his or her degree and will not violate the terms and conditions on their visa like working and leaving (or seeking additional qualifying status beforehand) after completing his or her degree. There are many components of this "not violating conditions", some of them are :

1. Having a history of following conditions set on you by visa. Like if you visited USA before and left timely. The more countries you visit and follow the rules, the better chances for you to convince that you are likely to adhere to conditions set by the permit.

2. Have prospectives of being gainfully employed in your own home country post your education in Canada. Best way is being currently employed in that field, duh. It means you are employable in your home country. The degree should ADD to your employability not take anything away. This is far most to best evidence and should remove all your hurdles in visa. Take an internship for 2-3 months, entry level jobs for few months, contracts and such.. *Any* proof of employability in that field will make your application much better, no matter what kind of career switch is there.

3. Have some connection to your own country... like family, immovable property. If you can, a job waiting for you after your graduation from Canada.

The questions like "why is XYX intends to do PQR degree from Canada when they can do it from their own country" are dishonest to be precise. Why does Canada advertise itself as a destination for foreign students when they can do the study in their own country?

At best, if I were to defend this, I will say : "My country of origin's education system is not mature to support people who change their careers and does not have degree programs flexible for and representation of such students in cohort. As such a lack of degree is limiting my further progress in my career, even though I have secured a job in that career. A globally recognized degree from a university that admits and trains diverse students such as myself will help me achieve my goal. I applied for such a degree in X number of places in following countries (if you applied in more than one country) and DEF university is most highly ranked university that admitted for ABC program and hence my choice".

thinking_programmer

Jan 10, 2019
Actually, by laws there is nothing like showing progression etc etc. I had a conversation about this with lawyer in Canada. The law does not require anything like that. To make things even murky, your milage may vary depending upon if your application is outside or inside Canada. Outside Canada applications, especially in countries with high immigration, VOs tend to be more errr.... "anal". They stop being VOs and try to be a career counseller. Who the hell are they to say that you qualify for a degree or not OR how does this degree fits into your career plan when the university and the professors who need to make this decision have agreed?

The basic test they want you to pass is called "genuine student" one. That is you are a genuine student who intends to study primarily (almost exclusively?), who will finish his or her degree and will not violate the terms and conditions on their visa like working and leaving (or seeking additional qualifying status beforehand) after completing his or her degree. There are many components of this "not violating conditions", some of them are :

1. Having a history of following conditions set on you by visa. Like if you visited USA before and left timely. The more countries you visit and follow the rules, the better chances for you to convince that you are likely to adhere to conditions set by the permit.

2. Have prospectives of being gainfully employed in your own home country post your education in Canada. Best way is being currently employed in that field, duh. It means you are employable in your home country. The degree should ADD to your employability not take anything away. This is far most to best evidence and should remove all your hurdles in visa. Take an internship for 2-3 months, entry level jobs for few months, contracts and such.. *Any* proof of employability in that field will make your application much better, no matter what kind of career switch is there.

3. Have some connection to your own country... like family, immovable property. If you can, a job waiting for you after your graduation from Canada.

The questions like "why is XYX intends to do PQR degree from Canada when they can do it from their own country" are dishonest to be precise. Why does Canada advertise itself as a destination for foreign students when they can do the study in their own country?

At best, if I were to defend this, I will say : "My country of origin's education system is not mature to support people who change their careers and does not have degree programs flexible for and representation of such students in cohort. As such a lack of degree is limiting my further progress in my career, even though I have secured a job in that career. A globally recognized degree from a university that admits and trains diverse students such as myself will help me achieve my goal. I applied for such a degree in X number of places in following countries (if you applied in more than one country) and DEF university is most highly ranked university that admitted for ABC program and hence my choice".

Thanks a lot,l that's a lot of useful advice and tips that you wrote here. There are a lot of study counsellors telling me to don't go for this move as their literally assuring me that my visa would get rejected. I guess that I'll make a strong application myself and try to apply to different colleges and do everything myself to make sure my application is strong. People are also telling me that they'll stamp my passport if they reject my visa and I'll have "bad ranking" or something like that.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There is no “bad ranking” for a single failed visa application. With multiple rejections without addressing previous refusals, it begins to look like an attempt to remain in Canada, which can draw significant scrutiny.

jackie9493

Jul 27, 2019

That is the best explanation I have ever heard, and I believe you are totally right. They only care about a Genuine Student and whether we are one or not! And this happens with a strong justification that we can explain in the Letter of Explanation.