+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Canada to Australia.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Hello everyone.

I landed here in Canada last June 2, 2015. My boyfriend (who lives in Australia) and I are planning to live together and i'm planning to move to Australia in July 2016 (for partner visa). My residency will expire on 2020 (still long way to go) but if ever I plan to settle down in Australia, does that mean I have to renounce my permanent resident status here in Canada? If yes, will it affect my uncle and aunt's (who's our family sponsor) in terms of them wanting to sponsoring someone of their relatives? This is what it says on the CIC website and from what I understand, if I don't sponsor anyone, there won't be any issue - correct me if i'm wrong :p

"How will renouncing my permanent resident status affect my family?

Your family members do not need to renounce their permanent resident status if you do. They can remain as permanent residents.

However, when CIC receives your application to renounce your permanent resident status, it will suspend any active family class sponsorship applications you may have already submitted. If your application to renounce your permanent resident status is approved, any sponsorship application that is still in process will be refused. The applications for permanent residence of any family you have sponsored that are still in process will also be refused. The processing fees will not be refunded."

My worry is that: if I renounce my PR status, it'll affect my aunt and uncle in terms of them wanting to sponsor their other relatives :(

Your answers and advices will be appreciated :D

Thank you!