+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back to Canada?

Liz T

Apr 9, 2018
Hi,

I know I'm not the only one facing these types of situations and I'm desperately looking for help! My husband and I (and out two young children) are looking to immigrate back to Canada.
I met my husband in Canada while I was attending college on a student visa, and we were planning on getting married and remaining there. Sadly, I had medical issues and needed to return to the states for immediate surgery. Long story short, I filed a K1 Fiance' Visa and in 2012 we were married.
It's always been our plan to get back to Canada as that is where all our family is. We've both been full time students in the states trying to get some type of degree, but upon further investigation my husband's degree will not transfer over to Canada and so its better for him to get his training in Canada (He's becoming a welder).
So now we have to figure out where to go from here. We're absolutely broke, but we don't want to continue getting into student loan debt for a education we can't even use in Canada. I honestly have no idea where to start.
Does he just apply for jobs and when he gets one start working? How does this all work? I know I need to fill out an Outland Sponsorship form but would it be better to file it when he has job prospects? What happens to his green card?
We're so stressed, and unsure of what to do any insight would be appreciated...

For clarification, my husband is a Canadian citizen with a 10 year green card, I am american, and our kids are dual citizens.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I assume your husband is a Canadian citizen? It's not 100% clear from your post.

If he leaves the US and moves to Canada, he should expect to lose his green card.

Liz T

Apr 9, 2018
I assume your husband is a Canadian citizen? It's not 100% clear from your post.

If he leaves the US and moves to Canada, he should expect to lose his green card.
Oops. Yes. I am an American, my husband is Canadian (with a 10 year Green Card), and our boys are dual citizens.