+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back to Canada from USA

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
My wife and step children are all Canadian citizens, I am a US citizen and former Canadian permanent resident. We have been living in the USA for 10 years and their green cards are expiring and we plan to move back to Canada in the next few weeks. I am planning on entering as a visitor and applying for a new PR within Canada, my wife and step children will be traveling with me and they will be telling them at the border they are moving back. I thought I had everything worked out but feeling nervous of course. We made a list of everything being brought back and numbered by box, passports are all good. my main question at the moment is our vehicle is from the US and we are still making payments on it, I have been trying to do research if we can enter without importing it because we do not hold the title, I read somewhere that you do not have to import especially if you are considering selling the vehicle in the US at a later date but found many contradictory stories saying at the border they will force you into importing or turn you around. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Anything else I should know? Don't like surprises..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife and step children are all Canadian citizens, I am a US citizen and former Canadian permanent resident. We have been living in the USA for 10 years and their green cards are expiring and we plan to move back to Canada in the next few weeks. I am planning on entering as a visitor and applying for a new PR within Canada, my wife and step children will be traveling with me and they will be telling them at the border they are moving back. I thought I had everything worked out but feeling nervous of course. We made a list of everything being brought back and numbered by box, passports are all good. my main question at the moment is our vehicle is from the US and we are still making payments on it, I have been trying to do research if we can enter without importing it because we do not hold the title, I read somewhere that you do not have to import especially if you are considering selling the vehicle in the US at a later date but found many contradictory stories saying at the border they will force you into importing or turn you around. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Why are you a former PR? Did you officially renounce your PR status or was it revoked?

You're correct about the car. You won't be able to bring it across the border and import it with payments still oustanding. Either pay the car off so that you have clear title or sell it before coming to Canada. Expect to have issues at the border if you try anything else since it will be clear you're making a permanent move.

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
I got my PR card in 2007 and it is long expired, it was not revoked nor did I renounce it, it just expired. I am under the impression since it so long expired I have to start the process again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I got my PR card in 2007 and it is long expired, it was not revoked nor did I renounce it, it just expired. I am under the impression since it so long expired I have to start the process again.
1. Wrong impression, as long as you were residing abroad with your Canadian citizen spouse, you still are Permanent Resident.

Reactions: canuck78

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
Wow this is amazing information, that makes my life so much easier, I had already started gather paperwork, so is all I need to do is apply for a new PR card? Also does this change the way I should enter Canada then, should I be showing them my expired card or do I need to apply for a different document, I was planning on entering showing my US passport as a visitor.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow this is amazing information, that makes my life so much easier, I had already started gather paperwork, so is all I need to do is apply for a new PR card? Also does this change the way I should enter Canada then, should I be showing them my expired card or do I need to apply for a different document, I was planning on entering showing my US passport as a visitor.
Bring your expired PR card and enter Canada as a permanent resident. Apply for a new PR card once you are in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How much time did you spend living in Canada after you got PR?