Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Hi all,
I haven't been on here for a while, we are busy trying to get everything sorted out.

I am Canadian citizen sponsoring my UK partner. Documents received in London office in December, I know it says up to 29 months for PR.

We're heading back to Canada this August - I need to get my business going again and if we wait much longer it will be impossible!

I know we should take all documents relating to his PR but what do we put for his home address? His immigration card will say he's a UK citizen but as we're giving up our flat he won't have a permanent UK address.

We will be staying with friends in Canada, my partner has a flight booked back to the UK in November to see his daughter then he'll come back out to Canada. As he won't have a permanent abode here in the UK but will keep coming back to ensure he doesn't violate the rules, is it OK to use the Canadian address as his point of contact? Or should he use his daughter's address?

Thanks in advance for any insight
Jonesy

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Use the address you eventually want his COPR document to come to after PR is approved. It can be an address in UK or Canada, it really doesn't matter. If he will probably be in Canada when PR is approved then using Canadian address is better as they will mail the COPR directly to him and can then just hop down to nearest USA land border to do PR landing.

Also note London processing time posted is only reflective of applicants from Pakistan. To any other applicants that time is useless to use.

And also I have no clue what you mean by "violate the rules". There are no rules around where you are residing with an outland app in progress. If a visitor in Canada, it's easy to get extensions of your visitor status if you want to stay longer than 6 months at a time.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Rob_TO said:
Use the address you eventually want his COPR document to come to after PR is approved. It can be an address in UK or Canada, it really doesn't matter. If he will probably be in Canada when PR is approved then using Canadian address is better as they will mail the COPR directly to him and can then just hop down to nearest USA land border to do PR landing.

Also note London processing time posted is only reflective of applicants from Pakistan. To any other applicants that time is useless to use.

And also I have no clue what you mean by "violate the rules". There are no rules around where you are residing with an outland app in progress. If a visitor in Canada, it's easy to get extensions of your visitor status if you want to stay longer than 6 months at a time.
Thanks RobTO.

A question of clarification - apologies - if on the landing card he puts UK citizen, address of stay in Canada and home address, he doesn't have, or won't have, a UK home address - will it be OK to put the Canadian address? This is what I meant about violating the rules; he has a return ticket and he won't be carrying his worldly goods, he still has ties in the UK but why would CIC believe him if he doesn't have a UK address on his landing card? And should we go together when we arrive - usually at Pearson it's Canadian passports and all others - should I go with him or should he come with me?

Thanks again
Jonesy

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
What do you mean by "landing card"?

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Aquakitty said:
What do you mean by "landing card"?
when you fly into Canada and everyone has to fill out a card - I thought it was called a landing card - that's what I have always called it! I guess it's the immigration card that gets stamped and collected as you pass through security

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Just googled it - 'declaration card' :)

Jonesy

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Jonesy319 said:
Just googled it - 'declaration card' :)

Jonesy
I would suggest putting a UK address on the declaration card (even if it's a family member's address); it will satisfy CBSA that you are not yet "living" in Canada but just "visiting"...just my thoughts! Having a Canadian address as the home address may invite unnecessary additional questions.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
sam_1985 said:
I would suggest putting a UK address on the declaration card (even if it's a family member's address); it will satisfy CBSA that you are not yet "living" in Canada but just "visiting"...just my thoughts! Having a Canadian address as the home address may invite unnecessary additional questions.
Thanks Sam, that's what I figured

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Jonesy319 said:
Thanks Sam, that's what I figured
I agree 100%, I responded with a similar answer but I think I posted to the wrong thread. My only concern is your address where you have the COPR documents sent, you did change that to match your Canadian address I assume?

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Aquakitty said:
I agree 100%, I responded with a similar answer but I think I posted to the wrong thread. My only concern is your address where you have the COPR documents sent, you did change that to match your Canadian address I assume?
Thanks Aquakitty: I haven't changed any addresses at all yet - I will have to contact CIC before we leave for Canada with a change of address - will they want my new address (as sponsor) and his UK address? They have his email, if he gets PR whilst we are in Canada (hope so as the documents were received in December 2014) can we request anything that needs to be sent by mail to be sent to me in Canada or will it go to his UK address?

Jonesy

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ya he must use a UK address on his declaration card when entering Canada as a visitor. Simply having a home in the UK, would be one of if not the key things CIC would look at upon determining he's a visitor so allowable into Canada as such.

Also you should show CBSA proof of PR application in process (so copy of receipt, sponsor approval, etc). They are usually very easy on people entering as visitors with a PR app already in progress, and just saying they want to wait out the process in Canada.

Last time I flew through Pearson all the immigration was automated at a kiosk. So myself (Canadian passport) and my PR wife (visa-exempt passport) simply scanned our passports and entered info on a kiosk which printed out our immigration/customs paper. Didn't actually talk to anyone.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Rob_TO said:
Ya he must use a UK address on his declaration card when entering Canada as a visitor. Simply having a home in the UK, would be one of if not the key things CIC would look at upon determining he's a visitor so allowable into Canada as such.

Also you should show CBSA proof of PR application in process (so copy of receipt, sponsor approval, etc). They are usually very easy on people entering as visitors with a PR app already in progress, and just saying they want to wait out the process in Canada.

Last time I flew through Pearson all the immigration was automated at a kiosk. So myself (Canadian passport) and my PR wife (visa-exempt passport) simply scanned our passports and entered info on a kiosk which printed out our immigration/customs paper. Didn't actually talk to anyone.
Thanks Rob. Yes he does have a UK address, where his daughter lives so he can use that.

I just got my Canadian passport renewed and noticed it now has the scanning icon just like my UK passport - will be interesting to see what happens - because this is my return trip (been in the UK almost 3 years) and his first time over with PR in process I would think it'd be better to choose to go through the 'live' versus automated system?

Also - do you know whether we can request the PR docs be sent to a Canadian address if he's 'waiting it out' in Canada and if so should I update that via ecas?

Thanks again! :)
Jonesy

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jonesy319 said:
Also - do you know whether we can request the PR docs be sent to a Canadian address if he's 'waiting it out' in Canada and if so should I update that via ecas?

Thanks again! :)
Jonesy
Yes, as mentioned above after he gets to Canada you should immediately change address info to your Canadian address. Then all future correspondence (including eventual COPR document) will be sent directly to Canada and not to the old UK address.