+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back temporarily to home country

Asmodella

Dec 9, 2012
Hi I have a couple of queries here. I came here in Canada as a landed immigrant with my family (parents and siblings) on May 9, 2012. I am planning to go back to my home country June this year temporarily while I wait for my boyfriend to sort his affairs. At most, I am planning to stay there for one year, and during that time hopefully we can get married.

What will happen to my PR status then? Will it be legal for me to work during that time in my home country?

Would really appreciate your answers. Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to keep your PR status, you can not be outside Canada for more than 1095 days in your first 5 years as a PR or in any rolling 5 year period after that. You are therefore safe to stay outside Canada for one year and wait for your boyfriend to get his things in order. After you get married, you can sponsor him for PR but you must return to Canada in order to do that because a PR sponsor must be living in Canada.

Your PR status and working in your home country have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Immigration Canada does not care where you work and live as long as you are not outside Canada for more than 1095 days in any 5 year period.