+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving abroad after applying - where do you take the test?

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Hello, did you travel twice to Canada? one for the test and one for the ceremony? Or did you take the test before leaving? Thanks, greetings.
Hey. I went twice. First for the test and second for the ceremony and passport.

jpaz

Nov 19, 2019
Hey. I went twice. First for the test and second for the ceremony and passport.
ok, thanks for your answer, I am planning to do the same, I have seen that you can apply for a passport at the Canadian embassy in Spain? Did you request it in Canada or abroad?

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
ok, thanks for your answer, I am planning to do the same, I have seen that you can apply for a passport at the Canadian embassy in Spain? Did you request it in Canada or abroad?
In Canada, it was faster and less paperwork. I planned my last trip giving me just enough time to take the oath, wait 2-3 days (time it takes for CIC to send your information to Passports Canada) and then request express pickup. Took my test on a Wednesday and had my passport next Tuesday. I had to pay the express pickup fee, but I came back with my Canadian passport.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hi everybody,

Just a quick update to let you know that I sent the address request change on October 2018, on March 2019 I took the test and told the officer that I requested the change of the address to Spain but that it wasn't changed on ECAS. She wasn't very surprised. Well, I received an email yesterday about my application and I have my oath ceremony in 1 month. So there hasn't been any issue with moving abroad. I still got my citizenship and didn't have to fill the RQ.

So, as long as you do everything right and don't lie, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks again for your help!
Hi,
Did you update your address as an outside Canada address ?
Thank you

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I personally know 2 people from work who applied around the end of 2017 (after C-6) and moved out of Canada, one moved just a couple of months after submission, the other one moved after over a year. Both got their test and oath invite while living outside of Canada, and both have become citizens without any RQ
Hi,

did they update their address as an outside Canada address ?
thanks

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Im also in the same situation due to personal emergency i had to travel back and not sure when i will return, my application was sent on May last week 2020, AOR also is pending, worried how to handle the situation.
Hi,
What did you end up doing ? Any updates? Did you change your address as an outside Canada address?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
What did you end up doing ? Any updates? Did you change your address as an outside Canada address?
The poster has not update his status since December. If you look at miglop2014's response in July 2020, it appeared that not changing the address did not matter.

Last edited: