+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moved from UK to Canada. Important Question

wchaudhry

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Hello,

Folks who immigrated from UK to Canada can you please help me here and give me some advise?
I lived in the UK from June 2018 to Feb 2019 on a spouse visa and worked full time with a UK employer. I did also "claimed my tax refund" end of Feb 2019.

I moved to Canada Mid Feb 2019 as a PR and will continue to live here for good. I have not informed any organisation (city council/HMRC) in the UK about moving abroad yet.

My question is, do I need to let them know that I moved abroad? If yes, then how and to which UK body? I don't have a UK income neither I work for a UK employer anymore.

Would be very helpful if you guys can suggest me if I need to take any action here and inform them about my change of address.

Thanks in advance!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Not really sure what your question is. From immigration perspective, you had legal status in the UK, you are free to leave the country, no need to inform anyone. If you are worried about potential tax problems, you should probably consult with a tax professional.

wchaudhry

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Not really sure what your question is. From immigration perspective, you had legal status in the UK, you are free to leave the country, no need to inform anyone. If you are worried about potential tax problems, you should probably consult with a tax professional.
Thanks for your response. Have you migrated from the UK as well?

wchaudhry

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
I lived in the UK in the past but I didn't move directly from the UK to Canada
The question is not tax related. Its simply about if I need to inform any body/organization in UK about moving abroad and change of address? Did you do any change of address with them when you moved?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

Folks who immigrated from UK to Canada can you please help me here and give me some advise?
I lived in the UK from June 2018 to Feb 2019 on a spouse visa and worked full time with a UK employer. I did also "claimed my tax refund" end of Feb 2019.

I moved to Canada Mid Feb 2019 as a PR and will continue to live here for good. I have not informed any organisation (city council/HMRC) in the UK about moving abroad yet.

My question is, do I need to let them know that I moved abroad? If yes, then how and to which UK body? I don't have a UK income neither I work for a UK employer anymore.

Would be very helpful if you guys can suggest me if I need to take any action here and inform them about my change of address.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you should let HMRC know that you have left the UK. IIRC there is a specific form for this. https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

You don't need to inform anyone else, unless you have voting rights in the UK that you are wanting to keep. In which case, the local authority is the correct one.

Obviously update anyone or organisation that you are expecting post from...

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
The question is not tax related. Its simply about if I need to inform any body/organization in UK about moving abroad and change of address? Did you do any change of address with them when you moved?
I filed my tax return and told them I was leaving the country. That was pretty much it.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Sorry, misread your first post. Thought you said you have informed HMRC
Yes you need to let them know if you are leaving for good.

wchaudhry

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
I filed my tax return and told them I was leaving the country. That was pretty much it.
I received a small bonus (march 2019) after leaving my job in the UK and after receiving my "claim a tax refund" in feb 2019.
I think it was post tax. Now that I dont live in the UK anymore, do I have to file a self assessment form for this? Or anything else I should do?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I received a small bonus (march 2019) after leaving my job in the UK and after receiving my "claim a tax refund" in feb 2019.
I think it was post tax. Now that I dont live in the UK anymore, do I have to file a self assessment form for this? Or anything else I should do?
IIRC there is a section in the CRA tax submission to declare your non-Canada income for your first year of residence. I had a professional sort that out for me in Canada to ensure that my CRA account was correctly set up.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Can you please confirm how I can do that now? I already left in February 2019
I filed my tax before I left, and that was almost 7 years ago. I'm not confident enough to give you advise on this as I'm not a professional.
Check the link @zardoz provided, maybe talk to an accountant who has experience in doing overseas tax, or you can try contact HMRC directly
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact?contact_groups[]=non-uk-residents

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013