+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Motorcycle License

Jun 27, 2019
Hi, I'm Portuguese and I have a A2 license, which is a license that is restricted to 35kw horse power.
There's no CC limit only power limit.
I've searched about M1 and M2 and I'm thinking that M2 is the same as A2.
So my question is what is the "motorcycle" limitations that M2 has in what it comes to power.

I'm pretty sure you cannot drive a yamaha r6 with M1, but can you with M2?

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I'm Portuguese and I have a A2 license, which is a license that is restricted to 35kw horse power.
There's no CC limit only power limit.
I've searched about M1 and M2 and I'm thinking that M2 is the same as A2.
So my question is what is the "motorcycle" limitations that M2 has in what it comes to power.

I'm pretty sure you cannot drive a yamaha r6 with M1, but can you with M2?

Best Regards,

Rodrigo
From what I've seen, at least in Ontario, I think you have misunderstood how it works.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence#section-1

M1 is the initial licence, this is valid for 90 days and you have the following limitations.

By law, if you have an M1 licence, you must:

• maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
  • ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)
  • wear an approved helmet (an exemption to Ontario’s mandatory helmet law applies for Sikh operators and passengers who meet the requirements outlined in Regulation 610 (6))
  • not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655
  • always drive alone - you may not carry passengers

After this you must get an M2 licence with the following limitations

You must still wear a helmet unless you meet the requirements for exemption outlined in Regulation 610 (6) and maintain a zero blood alcohol level.

After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M licence. If you take a recognized Motorcycle Safety Course, you can take the test after just 18 months.

There are 3 types of M1 and M2 licences.

• M1 and M2 (for full-speed motorcycles)
  • M1 and M2-L (for mopeds and motorized scooters)
  • M1 and M2-M (for three-wheeled motorcycles)

Your A2 in Portugal would be equivalent to An M with condition L licence. This would be the M1 and M2-L (for mopeds and motorized scooters). You will have to go for the appropriate classes for the vehicle you want to drive. Having a M1 does not restrict you to the type of vehicle you can drive. The type of licence you choose to get restricts you.

Reactions: Rodrigo Barbieri
Jun 27, 2019
Okay so basically if Own a A2 license in Portugal I can drive an M2 license for 6 months in Canada before any test?
And I can drive any bike with M2 License but I need to follow the m2 regulations, "helmet", "zero alchool".
Right?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Okay so basically if Own a A2 license in Portugal I can drive an M2 license for 6 months in Canada before any test?
And I can drive any bike with M2 License but I need to follow the m2 regulations, "helmet", "zero alchool".
Right?
If you are travelling more than 3 months, then you can do so with your drivers licence from your home country, if you are travelling for more than 3 months, then you need to apply for an international drivers permit. This is applicable to Ontario only.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors

Reactions: Rodrigo Barbieri
Jun 27, 2019
Okay, thank you.
Could you take a quick look to my biometric related, international student visa thread I made.
It's way more urgent than this one, since I got a flight to Ontario in August. And payed my school fees.
If possible.
Thank you,

Rodrigo