+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother's Name issue- No Last Name

Ricky09

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi,

I am filling out the form for PR express entry and my mother's name on my passport don't have any last name.
In the PR application, Mother's last name is marked as mandatory.

*First Name: ABC
*Last Name:______ (no last name to put)

Could you please help what to do in this case.

Ricky09

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
It says
"If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”"

Under Family section, I am trying to add my mother's details and there is no given name(s) ONLY fist and last name(s) and both are mandatory.

So how to put Mother's name (ABC) in those two mandatory sections?

jayessess

Star Member
May 16, 2017
I was in a similar situation with my parents names. They both don’t have any last name. I put their first names in both of the first name and the last name section and explained it in the LOE. My application got approved. No issues.

I hope it helps.

macaly7

Jan 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
It says
"If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”"

Under Family section, I am trying to add my mother's details and there is no given name(s) ONLY fist and last name(s) and both are mandatory.

So how to put Mother's name (ABC) in those two mandatory sections?
According to their instructions
First name:
Last name: ABC

jayessess

Star Member
May 16, 2017
According to their instructions
First name:
Last name: ABC
Actually, this is not an option when filling parents details in online application. The application won't proceed further with an empty first name filed. It is mandatory to put something in the first name section of parents details. I faced a similar situation while filling out my application form. Not sure it has changed now, bcz I did it last year.

I suggest the OP to consult with other senior forum members.

macaly7

Jan 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hopefully a senior member will comment. I wonder if @legalfalcon would know or at least be able to tell you who may know for sure.

If you don't get an answer in time and it can't be left blank then maybe put the same name in both and then explain in the letter of explanation.
Since they said not to use NA etc. I'd avoid that.

macaly7

Jan 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
Actually, this is not an option when filling parents details in online application. The application won't proceed further with an empty first name filed. It is mandatory to put something in the first name section of parents details. I faced a similar situation while filling out my application form. Not sure it has changed now, bcz I did it last year.

I suggest the OP to consult with other senior forum members.
What did you do?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi,

I am filling out the form for PR express entry and my mother's name on my passport don't have any last name.

Use the first name and fill in both sections, i.e. first and last name with it.

Reactions: macaly7

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

now you can leave given name field blank.

DJ@2020

Oct 10, 2020
Well I used first and last name same and added LOE. Got PPR request last week.
However, it will be good for future candidates with no last name of their parents.
Hi, What have provided in the LOE?
I got the similar issue now. But my parents do have their last name but it's not printed in my passport. What to do ? To put the same name in both first and last name ? Or put the actual last name and provide the LOE for that?

Reactions: new_imm8&@nt

Ricky09

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi, What have provided in the LOE?
I got the similar issue now. But my parents do have their last name but it's not printed in my passport. What to do ? To put the same name in both first and last name ? Or put the actual last name and provide the LOE for that?
I had the same issue- no 2nd name of mother on my passport although she uses last name on her passport. Because I was applying alone (without parents). I wrote the same name in First & Second name field AND explained this in the LOE (letter of explanation) that on my passport and other documents my mother has only first name. This way it worked out for me and got the PR without much hassle.

P.S.- I rarely check my email linked with this forum, luckily just checked it & saw your post.

srirajesh01

Mar 3, 2021
Hello
I had the same issue- no 2nd name of mother on my passport although she uses last name on her passport. Because I was applying alone (without parents). I wrote the same name in First & Second name field AND explained this in the LOE (letter of explanation) that on my passport and other documents my mother has only first name. This way it worked out for me and got the PR without much hassle.

P.S.- I rarely check my email linked with this forum, luckily just checked it & saw your post.
Hello Ricky ,

I have the same issue with my father and mother's last name, can i get a sample LOE for this? Which section did you upload this LOE ? And did you attach your mother's passport along with this?
Please help.

srirajesh01

Mar 3, 2021
I was in a similar situation with my parents names. They both don’t have any last name. I put their first names in both of the first name and the last name section and explained it in the LOE. My application got approved. No issues.

I hope it helps.
I have the same issue with my father and mother's last name, can i get a sample LOE for this? Which section did you upload this LOE ? And did you attach your mother's passport along with this?
Please help.