+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

mother of my grandson

dquibs

Dec 6, 2015
Hi ,
My grandson has his PR under me as principal applicant. His mom and my son was not married and not planning to get married. Can I sponsor her under Family Sponsorship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi ,
My grandson has his PR under me as principal applicant. His mom and my son was not married and not planning to get married. Can I sponsor her under Family Sponsorship?
Have they ever lived together? If so, for over 1 year? Are they currently in a relationship? If they aren’t together do they have a custody agreement? Does the father pay child support?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi ,
Who do you want to sponsor? The mother? If so, how did her son get PR? Is the son over 18 and working?

dquibs

Dec 6, 2015
Let me elaborate. I got my PR status 2017 with my 2 sons and grandson out of wedlock. My grandson who is ten years old was out of Canada since birth and have him flew here as PR 2022. I processed his mother paper as visitor visa and just got here. Her and my son is not in a relationship and had gone different path. She stayed as single mom. Can I sponsor her even we are not blood related?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Let me elaborate. I got my PR status 2017 with my 2 sons and grandson out of wedlock. My grandson who is ten years old was out of Canada since birth and have him flew here as PR 2022. I processed his mother paper as visitor visa and just got here. Her and my son is not in a relationship and had gone different path. She stayed as single mom. Can I sponsor her even we are not blood related?
Definitely no. She is not related to you. Her son may be able to sponsor her after he is an adult. He’d need to look at whether there are sponsorship options and what is required at that point. It would be at least another 15 years before he would likely qualify.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No you cannot sponsor her. She is not related to you.

Her son can sponsor her once he turns 18 and meets LICO for at least 3 years and is selected in the lottery. Parent sponsorship may change by the time her turns 18. So the earliest he could sponsor his mother is when he is around 21 and if he is making a salary that meets LICO for 3 years in a row.

Reactions: dquibs

dquibs

Dec 6, 2015
Who do you want to sponsor? The mother? If so, how did her son get PR? Is the son over 18 and working?
The mother. IRCC included him in our application even I did not. Lucky for him he got his PR under me and my 2 other son . He is just 10 yrs old

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The mother would need to qualify for immigration on her own. I’m actually surprised she was able to get a TRV. How long is she able to visit Canada? Has she investigated immigration pathways and does she qualify for any of them? What is her education and work history? Her ties to Canada are very strong so it may be very challenging to get any temporary visas/permits.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The mother. IRCC included him in our application even I did not. Lucky for him he got his PR under me and my 2 other son . He is just 10 yrs old
She is years away from being sponsored by her son. She is a visitor but cannot work unless she is eligible for immigration programs.

dquibs

Dec 6, 2015
The mother would need to qualify for immigration on her own. I’m actually surprised she was able to get a TRV. How long is she able to visit Canada? Has she investigated immigration pathways and does she qualify for any of them? What is her education and work history? Her ties to Canada are very strong so it may be very challenging to get any temporary visas/permits.
She just got lucky as well. Might investigate HC application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She just got lucky as well. Might investigate HC application
She can attempt that but you will need to support her financially for around a year but could be more. If denied H&C she will have difficulty visiting Canada in the future even if she has a valid visa. You also may have difficulty getting TRV approval for other people you invite since IRCC took a risk and granted the TRV. How long a stay was she granted? How long a visa? Will she be able to support herself and her child (with her child’s father) financially if granted PR? What is her work history? Has she been active in her child’s life before now? Has her child visitEd her in the Philippines? How often? Do they have a child custody agreement? When you Sponsored your son and included your grandson did she give approval to take the son, did your son have documented full custody, etc.? Does the child currently live with your son or with you?