+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother New Visa or Visa Extension Once Here?

KittyKat

Star Member
Jan 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seeking experts opinion. My mother will be visiting in February to May next year. Her current visa expires in April. She has been to visit me in Canada 4 times over the last 10 years usually for 3 weeks at a time. I am a citizen. Should she travel on her old visa then request an extension 30 days prior to the visa expiry or apply for a new visa now ahead of her February departure so there is no need for an extension in April while here?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seeking experts opinion. My mother will be visiting in February to May next year. Her current visa expires in April. She has been to visit me in Canada 4 times over the last 10 years usually for 3 weeks at a time. I am a citizen. Should she travel on her old visa then request an extension 30 days prior to the visa expiry or apply for a new visa now ahead of her February departure so there is no need for an extension in April while here?
She won't need an extension. When she arrives in Canada she will be given an up to 6 month stay. She will need to apply for a new TRV when she returns home. She likely needs a new passport since visa end dates tend coincide with the expiry dates of passports.

KittyKat

Star Member
Jan 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She won't need an extension. When she arrives in Canada she will be given an up to 6 month stay. She will need to apply for a new TRV when she returns home. She likely needs a new passport since visa end dates tend coincide with the expiry dates of passports.
Thank you for your reply. She applied for a new passport and now has it. She plans to travel on the new passport and present her valid visa in the old one. Just to clarify, you recommend that she not apply for a new visa now and use the current one that expires in April when she travels in February?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. She applied for a new passport and now has it. She plans to travel on the new passport and present her valid visa in the old one. Just to clarify, you recommend that she not apply for a new visa now and use the current one that expires in April when she travels in February?
She could also apply for a new visa. Her visa expires in April but she can still enter Canada before her visa expires and be given up to a 6 month stay.

johncall

Sep 10, 2020
Hello Sir,
I have a canada PR.
Is this the right time to apply a fresh visitor visa application for my parents? Due to covid, the chances of rejection of Visitor visa for parents are high?
For my father and mother, i have to create separate CIC login accounts?