+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother left before receiving PR card in mail, and now wants to enter Canada to complete obligation

milantst

Apr 20, 2010
Hello all, sorry for the long thread title.

We successfully sponsored my mother. She arrived into Canada, she got the date of entry stamped into her passport. She had her grandma (yes really) back home, whose health got worse and became immobile. There was noone who could take care of her, so after one month of staying in Canada, my mother went back home to look after her, for another 2.5 years until her grandmother passed away. The PR card arrived at our address after my mother left Canada, and she did not get the exit date stamped in her passport.

My mother now wants to enter Canada to complete her PR obligation. My question is about the PR card. Since she didn't receive it until after she left Canada, how can I send it to her? I asked a lawyer, who advised to just courier it to her, but I am not sure that is the right action. I called Canada I&C, and they said it is illegal to mail her PR card to her, and that my mother needs to apply for a travel document as a permanent resident.

What is the right action, and what is this travel document application that she should fill out?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all, sorry for the long thread title.

We successfully sponsored my mother. She arrived into Canada, she got the date of entry stamped into her passport. She had her grandma (yes really) back home, whose health got worse and became immobile. There was noone who could take care of her, so after one month of staying in Canada, my mother went back home to look after her, for another 2.5 years until her grandmother passed away. The PR card arrived at our address after my mother left Canada, and she did not get the exit date stamped in her passport.

My mother now wants to enter Canada to complete her PR obligation. My question is about the PR card. Since she didn't receive it until after she left Canada, how can I send it to her? I asked a lawyer, who advised to just courier it to her, but I am not sure that is the right action. I called Canada I&C, and they said it is illegal to mail her PR card to her, and that my mother needs to apply for a travel document as a permanent resident.

What is the right action, and what is this travel document application that she should fill out?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.
There is nothing illegal to send or courier PR card to an international address. Or you can hand deliver the PR card o her by going to her country.

Reactions: milantst

milantst

Apr 20, 2010
There is nothing illegal to send or courier PR card to an international address. Or you can hand deliver the PR card o her by going to her country.
Thanks! If that is the case, then we are in the clear. I was trying to find similar posts, but I wasn't successful finding one. Your reply is reassuring. Not sure why CIC thought otherwise.

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks! If that is the case, then we are in the clear. I was trying to find similar posts, but I wasn't successful finding one. Your reply is reassuring. Not sure why CIC thought otherwise.
Hi Mialnst,

I am in the same dilemma.

Did you courier the PR card? How did everything go? Kindly share.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Mialnst,

I am in the same dilemma.

Did you courier the PR card? How did everything go? Kindly share.
You seem to have been asking the same question since July 2018 so are you saying your card has been sitting in Canada all this time waiting for someone to mail or courier it to you which if I read correctly to you in the US. Everyone here has said it is not illegal despite what the IRCC call centre say. Sure it is discouraged so the call centre take the easy option by saying it is not legal.

It is not as though in having the card sent to you in the US carries the same risks as someone may encounter having it sent to India or some other country outside North America for example in terms of international boundaries. In any case the worst that could happen is the card is lost so just have to report it and apply again when next in Canada.

No point in overthinking things just go ahead and have your card sent to you.

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I have my card, I am nervous about being questioned by immigration officer "if you were not here, how did you get your card?". :(
One friend was questioned.
That is why I am particularly asking about experience at immigration after having it courierd.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have my card, I am nervous about being questioned by immigration officer "if you were not here, how did you get your card?". :(
That is why I am particularly asking about experience at immigration after having it courierd.
I had mine couriered. It was even checked by USA Customs on it's way and allowed onwards with no problem.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Look CBSA officers can ask any questions they want and just because one asked a friend an awkward question doesn’t mean question will be asked again given asking travellers random questions is CBSAs job.

As a PR you are entitled to enter Canada with or without a PR card although the latter might take slightly longer to look you up if you do not for example have your COPR with you. Even if the question is asked answer honestly and most that might happen is a telling off about not letting card out of your possession.

Nobody in a public forum can guarantee anything but Just try not to over think things and your friend is unlikely doing time in prison or was fined or any other such penalty beyond comments from CBSA if any at all.

If this was such a big issue having a card sent out of the country and returning with card in hand there would be more than just you raising as an issue, but such comments are non existent.

Last edited:
Reactions: pk46

milantst

Apr 20, 2010
Look CBSA officers can ask any questions they want and just because one asked a friend an awkward question doesn’t mean question will be asked again given asking travellers random questions is CBSAs job.

As a PR you are entitled to enter Canada with or without a PR card although the latter might take slightly longer to look you up if you do not for example have your COPR with you. Even if the question is asked answer honestly and most that might happen is a telling off about not letting card out of your possession.

Nobody in a public forum can guarantee anything but Just try not to over think things and your friend is unlikely doing time in prison or was fined or any other such penalty beyond comments from CBSA if any at all.

If this was such a big issue having a card sent out of the country and returning with card in hand there would be more than just you raising as an issue, but such comments are non existent.
pk46, I would give you the same advice as Bs65 above. In my case, I couriered the PR card to my mother, she just presented it, and the entry went without any further questions.

Reactions: pk46

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thank you Bs65 and Milanst :)