+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother-in-law visiting

wazza12

Apr 27, 2020
Hello all,

My wife has applied for permanent residency and is currently living in BC- we have not gotten any information back as of yet because of covid. She is pregnant and is due to give birth in December. We have booked her mother a flight to come to Canada for a few months to be with us during the pregnancy and birth. Her mother qualifies for the eta visa as she has a Spanish passport. My questions are:

What documents do I need to provide her to be able to enter Canada ? Would she need to print copies of these documents to show at the airport ? Would she need to just prove that she is the mother-in-law of a Canadian citizen or/and that she is the mother of someone applying for permanent residency ?

Thank you !

wazza12

Apr 27, 2020
Others can comment but are you sure that she would meet the immediate family criteria given she is not the parent of a citizen or a PR but of a temp resident, there is no mother in law category

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html
https://www.immigration.ca/explained-canadas-new-exemption-for-family-members-of-citizens-and-permanent-residents

This article says that parents of the person's spouse are exempt. I wonder if it is outdated or incorrect now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

My wife has applied for permanent residency and is currently living in BC- we have not gotten any information back as of yet because of covid. She is pregnant and is due to give birth in December. We have booked her mother a flight to come to Canada for a few months to be with us during the pregnancy and birth. Her mother qualifies for the eta visa as she has a Spanish passport. My questions are:

What documents do I need to provide her to be able to enter Canada ? Would she need to print copies of these documents to show at the airport ? Would she need to just prove that she is the mother-in-law of a Canadian citizen or/and that she is the mother of someone applying for permanent residency ?

Thank you !
Agree your MIL currently does not meet the travel restrictions because your wife is not a PR.

KandT

Apr 28, 2020
It sounds like this is just a family/holiday visit by a Visa exempt / ETA eligible visitor for a short family holiday (I assume less than 6 months).

In which case, the only thing you need to consider is whether foreign nationals are allowed to enter Canada at this time. At present, foreign nationals may enter only for non-discretionary purposes, You need to find out whether coming to provide temporary care to a family member is considered non-discretionary.. Have you tried calling IRCC?

I think the only documents you may need are probably a letter of invitation from yourselves, saying you are requesting her to come and help her daughter through the pregnancy, and maybe something to backup that your spouse is pregnant.

Still, call IRCC and talk to them - they will guide you appropriately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It sounds like this is just a family/holiday visit by a Visa exempt / ETA eligible visitor for a short family holiday (I assume less than 6 months).

In which case, the only thing you need to consider is whether foreign nationals are allowed to enter Canada at this time. At present, foreign nationals may enter only for non-discretionary purposes, You need to find out whether coming to provide temporary care to a family member is considered non-discretionary.. Have you tried calling IRCC?

I think the only documents you may need are probably a letter of invitation from yourselves, saying you are requesting her to come and help her daughter through the pregnancy, and maybe something to backup that your spouse is pregnant.

Still, call IRCC and talk to them - they will guide you appropriately.
Even if you are visa exempt you need to meet the travel restrictions. She can see she you can get special permission to travel. If you are giving birth in a hospital you will likely be limited to one visitor during labour and maybe during the whole time in the hospital.

wazza12

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am just a little confused as to why It states the parents of your spouse are exempt if that would not apply for a spouse who is not a Canadian citizen or PR. That would seem redundant to say otherwise. I will call IIRC on Tuesday and hopefully get a good answer as we've already bought the plane tickets !

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I think I am just a little confused as to why It states the parents of your spouse are exempt if that would not apply for a spouse who is not a Canadian citizen or PR. That would seem redundant to say otherwise. I will call IIRC on Tuesday and hopefully get a good answer as we've already bought the plane tickets !
Hopefully those airline tickets already purchased are of the refundable type

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

May have misspoke. Normally it must be the parent of the citizen or PR but maybe they’ve now broadened the exemption. Will also depend on the airline. Some follow their own rules about who is able to be admitted on their flights.