+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother Canadian - Citizenship question

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Hey everyone,

I've been reading posts for a while and can't quite find my scenario. Here it is.

My mother was born in Ontario 1937 - First Gen- Canadian Citizen to Polish immigrants.

My father born in US-Michigan 1936 - First Gen - US Citizen to Ukrainian immigrants.

Parents Married in 1956. My mother is Canadian citizen. Father is U.S. citizen. I was born in U.S. in 1967. I'm looking at my birth certificate indicating that my mother's birthplace is Canada. Fathers birthplace was Michigan.

Father passed away in 1998 - Mother was Canadian citizen at time of fathers death. Mother becomes U.S. citizen a year later, so I'm assuming she is a dual citizen now. She is now 79 (never renounced Canadian citizenship). Can anyone tell me if I can claim Canadian citizenship and if so what would be my next step? Do I need to fill out the application for Canadian Citizenship? Or, if not what do I need to do to find out?

Thanks so much.

Splitshot

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I think you are already Canadian under the 2009 amendments to the Citizenship Act which permitted Canadian women to pass on citizenship to children born outside Canada in the first generation on or after Jan. 1st, 1947. Yes, your mom is a dual citizen.

Get your birth certificate, your mom's birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate and apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship through the case processing center in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Once you get that, apply for a Canadian passport if you desire.

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Links18,

Thank you for the reply. Once all the info is obtained, is it a lengthy process through Novia Scotia once everything is submitted?

Splitshot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're probably looking at around 5-6 months for the citizenship certificate.

aloksh25

Star Member
Jan 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can claim anytime, as at the time of your birth you mother was Canadian , so you automatically get citizenship but you need to claim it , or can go to nearest consulate for paper processing
good luck

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Is anyone aware of a phone # that I can call to verify exactly the info I need to submit on the Application for Citizenship certificate (I would fall under scenario 3) which looks like I require my certified birth certificate along with my Canadian parent birth certificate (Mother). Not sure what they require when they say the following:

all citizenship/naturalization certificate(s) (if applicable);

Scenario 3 – If you were born outside Canada on or after January 1, 1947 to a Canadian parent or a parent who became a citizen as a result of the
legislative amendments to the Citizenship Act on April 17, 2009 or June 11, 2015:

Please, any help is much appreciated.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
splitshot said:
Is anyone aware of a phone # that I can call to verify exactly the info I need to submit on the Application for Citizenship certificate (I would fall under scenario 3) which looks like I require my certified birth certificate along with my Canadian parent birth certificate (Mother). Not sure what they require when they say the following:

all citizenship/naturalization certificate(s) (if applicable);

Scenario 3 – If you were born outside Canada on or after January 1, 1947 to a Canadian parent or a parent who became a citizen as a result of the
legislative amendments to the Citizenship Act on April 17, 2009 or June 11, 2015:

Please, any help is much appreciated.
Have you ever naturalized or obtained a citizenship certificate from another country? If not, that probably doesn't apply to you. But you could try calling the Canadian embassy or consulate closest to you and asking for consular services, kf you want to talk to someone official.

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Links,

No, I've been a US citizen my entire life but spent many a summer in Flesherton/Ontario as a youngster at my parents summer cottage. I've tried calling the consulate in Atlanta and emabassy in DC only to find out the emabassy is observing an American holiday MLK.

Thanks, Tom

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Ok, guys I'm in the process of requesting a birth certificate for my mom with her beside me (born in Essex county outside Ontario in 1937) and now the website is for a guarantor from Canada (public/professional individual - judge,doctor,mayor, police officer, nurse) who my mom has no knowledge of after leaving Canada 50 years ago. Any help here? She has relatives (niece, nephew, but none that qualify). This appears to be the last or so question and we have no way of answering this correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Splitshot

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
splitshot said:
Ok, guys I'm in the process of requesting a birth certificate for my mom with her beside me (born in Essex county outside Ontario in 1937) and now the website is for a guarantor from Canada (public/professional individual - judge,doctor,mayor, police officer, nurse) who my mom has no knowledge of after leaving Canada 50 years ago. Any help here? She has relatives (niece, nephew, but none that qualify). This appears to be the last or so question and we have no way of answering this correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Splitshot
I needed a guarantor after moving from NJ to British Columbia and didn't know anyone. For the passport, the guarantor was someone who was Canadian and known you for at least 2 years. If you don't have one, they allowed some professionals to guarantee you. I didn't have either, so I had to pay a Canadian Notary to sign off on the passport form and my passport pic. It did say if you lived outside of Canada, which I assume you are in the USA, you can schedule an appointment at the Canadian consulate to have them sign off on the form.

Is there anyway you can call the office and ask what options are available, if you can use a notary?

splitshot

Jan 16, 2016
Saria,

Here is what I was told by someone quite helpful in Thunder Bay.

2 letters.

1st letter

Item #1
Subject name
file #
address
Why is this birth certificate required -
applying for birth certificate and is applying for my son's dual citizenship

Item #2
Reason why she can't provide Canadian guarantor
has been in U.S. for 50 years and has no professional contacts.

Second Letter (reference letter)

Item #1 - name occupation, work phone # and work address
Item #2 - I'm fully aware that I'm applying to be a guarantor for Jane Doe and I have known her for at
least 2 years. date and sign.

I figured a copy of her Canadian passport would have sufficed. Go figure.

SS

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
splitshot said:
Saria,

Here is what I was told by someone quite helpful in Thunder Bay.

2 letters.

1st letter

Item #1
Subject name
file #
address
Why is this birth certificate required -
applying for birth certificate and is applying for my son's dual citizenship

Item #2
Reason why she can't provide Canadian guarantor
has been in U.S. for 50 years and has no professional contacts.

Second Letter (reference letter)

Item #1 - name occupation, work phone # and work address
Item #2 - I'm fully aware that I'm applying to be a guarantor for Jane Doe and I have known her for at
least 2 years. date and sign.

I figured a copy of her Canadian passport would have sufficed. Go figure.

SS
Yeah, no, wait until you go to apply for a Canadian passport.... It's not easy and they make it rather difficult. Apparently all Canadian's should be required to know a fellow Canadian for at least 2 yrs :D

I would suggest rewording this line "applying for birth certificate and is applying for my son's dual citizenship" to something like "applying for birth certificate so we may apply for my son's proof of Canadian Citizenship" I would leave the dual citizenship out of it ;)

Good luck through all this. I applied for my proof in 2014, since then I've sponsored my family, moved us all here and now we're waiting on my son's citizenship to come through any month.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I agree. Don't mention dual citizenship. There is nothing wrong with dual citizenship, but some people get sensitive about it. As far as Canadian authorities are concerned, you are Canadian. As far, as US authorities are concerned, you are American. At least that is how I would handle it.

Yeah, they sure don't make it easy for introverts to get a passport! :-\