Interview........
none
Passport Req..
JULY 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 2012
LANDED..........
Sept 2012 Only 22 months, thanks for the quick work CIC :(
That's fantastic to hear Ubernemo!!! 8) 8)

Kent

Aug 31, 2011
Hello everyone :).. well I am the "rookie" her. Here is my situation. I am Canadian, living in Canada. She is Russian, living in Russia. We are just starting the process of getting married. Our plan is get married in Russia in April. Then, I will return to Canada, she will not. We will then begin the process of filing her application to move here. I hope I can can collect information off of everyone here to help ensure a successful process.

My fiancee and I have been researching trying to gather our documents, but it would be awesome if you guys/gals can help us. I know I need a Passport, and visa and "not married" official document. along with the invitation from her to visit Russia. So my questions are:

1. Should her invitation, for me to visit, be just a visitor visa, without any mention of intent of marriage or?

2. When I send to Ottawa for my " non-impediment of marriage", should I ask for more then one copy of it? if yes, how many?

3. Does Russia accept the "non-impediment" as an official document?

4. What is the best route of finding a notary pulbic or commissioner of oath, are they just lawyers? or can anyone be one?

Thanks for your time, I am sure I will have many more questions... ;D and I will help anyone else , the best I can

Kent

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
Kent said:
Hello everyone :).. well I am the "rookie" her. Here is my situation. I am Canadian, living in Canada. She is Russian, living in Russia. We are just starting the process of getting married. Our plan is get married in Russia in April. Then, I will return to Canada, she will not. We will then begin the process of filing her application to move here. I hope I can can collect information off of everyone here to help ensure a successful process.

My fiancee and I have been researching trying to gather our documents, but it would be awesome if you guys/gals can help us. I know I need a Passport, and visa and "not married" official document. along with the invitation from her to visit Russia. So my questions are:

1. Should her invitation, for me to visit, be just a visitor visa, without any mention of intent of marriage or?

2. When I send to Ottawa for my " non-impediment of marriage", should I ask for more then one copy of it? if yes, how many?

3. Does Russia accept the "non-impediment" as an official document?

4. What is the best route of finding a notary pulbic or commissioner of oath, are they just lawyers? or can anyone be one?

Thanks for your time, I am sure I will have many more questions... ;D and I will help anyone else , the best I can

Kent
Welcome Kent! If only I knew about this site before I went and did everything! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1) If she gets an invitation for you, it will be an incredibly stressful and annoying process for her. Not only will she have to spend hours in lineups, but she may be refused if she didn't make a perfect "A". Your best bet is to get a tourist or business visa, depending on how long you plan to be there. You can do this easily enough online, although you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars for a 3 month business visa.

2) Canada has a strange thing. It's a "Declaration In-Lieu Of Certificate Of Non-Impediment To Marriage". We didn't sign some convention or other so we basically swear under oath in front of an authorized officer that we're not married. I did this at the Canadian embassy in Moscow as I was living there at the time, so I don't know the procedure if you are in Canada.

You only need one copy. But before you can do anything with it, you need to have it legalized in Russia. This is a pain but there's no way around it. You need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Services Department. In Moscow it is at Neopalimovski pereulok, #6 (metro Smolenskaya). Open: 10.00-17.00 (lunch break 13.00-15.00), closed Sat & Sun.

You will need to have the Declaration translated and notarized first. I strongly suggest doing this in Russia, as they may not accept a foreign public notary. Make sure they translate EVERYTHING! The embassy gave me a translated copy but the letterhead was in English and French, and it caused a lot of problems later on.

If you are not in Moscow I think you can still send it there by courier, but if you are in the Moscow Oblast you have to drop it off in person, or your future wife does.

Once you get it legalized (basically a sticker, signature and stamp on the back...Russians love stamps) you can use it to apply for a marriage at ZAGS.

3) Yes, once it is legalized (see above) it is considered an official document in Russia.

4) To find a public notary, just ask your wife to look for one. They are everywhere. It can't be just anyone, they have to be a registered public notary with the Russian government. Translation and notarization for me cost about 400 roubles ($12) per page. Like I said, make sure they translate everything. Have your fiance look over it all before you leave the office. Sometimes they make mistakes or get lazy.

You will also need to have your passport, visa and registration copied and notarized (and in the case of your passport, translated).

Once you have all of these things, you can go to ZAGS. I'm not sure where you'll be in Russia, but the bureaucracy is crazy there, and each bureaucrat you will meet will have different opinions about the law, and will act like petty tyrants. When my wife and I were going through the process, we went to the ZAGS near her home and had nothing but problems because the zheinshina there was certain Russians weren't allowed to marry foreigners (she was a left-over from the Soviet Union). So we went to the next town over and there the woman said that because I don't speak Russian fluently I couldn't get married. So we went to another one and there they said that the legalization on my document wasn't real.

Finally we went to ZAGS #14 in downtown Moscow, and there the young man looked at our documents and shook his head and said to me "I'm sorry. You're marrying a Russian woman in a month!"

That's the final bit. You have to wait about a month from the time of applying at ZAGS to the time you get married.

Hope that helps! I wish you luck and I hope you enjoy Russia! I personally love the country and if my salary wasn't so much better in Canada I would personally emigrate there in a heartbeat!

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
Here is some good information:

http://www.waytorussia.net/Practicalities/Marriage.html

http://www.rusembassy.ca/node/59

http://www.ivpsc.com/

Kent

Aug 31, 2011
I'm truly appreciate all your detailed information. I will read the post multiple times to ensure i get it right.. We realize it will/might not be an easy process and are preparing for it. She is located in the northwest near the Finland border. We are planning on using the Moscow office. I will send her a copy of this to read....once again , I'm truly grateful for your information and hopefully can pay it forward someday.

Kent

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
My wife's address suddenly appeared in ECAS. It still says "Application Received", but now her address is there as well. That's a good sign, right?

Anna_sol

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Canada, Vaughan
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2011
File Transfer...
27-09-2011
Med's Done....
23-06-2011
Passport Req..
11-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2012
Hey guys! i recently got sponsorship approval, but still cant login to ECASE.... probably i should wait a bit more ;)
Does anyone know how long it takes for file to transfer from Missisauga to Moscow?

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
Anna_sol said:
Hey guys! i recently got sponsorship approval, but still cant login to ECASE.... probably i should wait a bit more ;)
Does anyone know how long it takes for file to transfer from Missisauga to Moscow?
It took about 2 weeks in my case, and then another 3-4 weeks before my wife received her AOR.

Jianadaren

Star Member
May 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
mid-09-2010
AOR Received.
late-10-2010
File Transfer...
late-10-2010
Med's Done....
mid-08-2010
Passport Req..
mid-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
late-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-11-2011
ubernemo said:
LIFE IS GOOD FINALLY!!! :D

Best of luck to everyone!!
Uber Nemo & Wife
congratulations, guys!! :)

ubernemo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2010
AOR Received.
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2011
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-08-2011
Jianadaren said:
congratulations, guys!! :)
Thanks!
Currently on vacation together after celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary 3 days ago!!! :D

Moscow visa office only forced us to be 7 months apart during that year!... :mad:

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
Not much activity here recently. Has everyone received their visas already? :)

Anna_sol

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Canada, Vaughan
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2011
File Transfer...
27-09-2011
Med's Done....
23-06-2011
Passport Req..
11-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2012
atethepaint said:
Not much activity here recently. Has everyone received their visas already? :)
uhhh.... i wish

my ecase says Medical results have been received.

Should i be VERY happy about that? Does it mean that our file reached Moscow finally?

Anna_sol

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Canada, Vaughan
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2011
File Transfer...
27-09-2011
Med's Done....
23-06-2011
Passport Req..
11-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2012
CONGRATULATIONS UBERNEMO!!!!!
::) :p ;D :D

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
New e-cas update: Medicals received! That means a visa is soon, right? :D

Anna_sol

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Canada, Vaughan
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2011
File Transfer...
27-09-2011
Med's Done....
23-06-2011
Passport Req..
11-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2012
atethepaint said:
New e-cas update: Medicals received! That means a visa is soon, right? :D
same in my ecas. But i dont think that means visa is coming. Well... not for moscow VO