+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mortgage and buying a new house

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a tough call. What we are currently seeing in many.markets is very worrying, People offering way over the asking price out of desperation to secure a property often after losing many bidding wars risks putting buyers and sellers in a really bad position. If more inventory comes on the market because lockdowns are eased and people are more comfortable with the idea of selling their homes, the market can cool just enough to put people in a position where they overpaid for a property that they bought just a few months ago. This happened a few years ago when we had another moment of really insane jump in prices. Many buyers ended up in a situation where their appraisal was significantly lower and they didn’t have the cash to bring to the table to close their purchase. They had pay for the difference between the selling price and the appraised price. People ended up losing their deposits, losing out on the home and being sued for by both the seller and the real estate agent. Others bought during a short lived bubble where there were insane bidding wars then went to sell their own home a few months but prices had already dropped to a point where people weren’t offering top dollar and significantly over the asking price. These crazy markets are not only hard to predict can change rapidly so you may feel differently 6 months from now. Who knows. It is pretty clear that Canada (and Australia) has a huge issue when it comes to home prices. Although many have benefited from the ever increasing housing prices around most of Canada, the high level of household debt, the disconnect between salary rates and housing prices, the percentage of the economy that is related to real estate, etc. is going to hurt Canada going forward.
Talking about debts, by 2026, the feds will need to pay $153 billion in debit interest charges (nearly $4000 per Canadian). Instead of that money going towards healthcare and lower taxes, it's going to the pockets of bond fund managers.

https://paherald.sk.ca/2021/05/13/canadians-sinking-under-a-1000000000000-debt/

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Others can also lose money in longer periods such as 5 to 10 years. I bet you don't have such experience or unheard of people making money if prices have increased in 3 years time.
Of course I know people who have been lucky and bought in a hot neighbourhood right before it took off. Most people still don't want to move after 3 years because moving and selling and buying a home is a tremendous amount of work. Most are happy staying put and paying down their mortgage given the low rate and their home price rise while they do nothing. In many of the hot markets selling a home is not the problem. Securing a new home id the big deal.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
It is a tough call. What we are currently seeing in many.markets is very worrying, People offering way over the asking price out of desperation to secure a property often after losing many bidding wars risks putting buyers and sellers in a really bad position. If more inventory comes on the market because lockdowns are eased and people are more comfortable with the idea of selling their homes, the market can cool just enough to put people in a position where they overpaid for a property that they bought just a few months ago. This happened a few years ago when we had another moment of really insane jump in prices. Many buyers ended up in a situation where their appraisal was significantly lower and they didn’t have the cash to bring to the table to close their purchase. They had pay for the difference between the selling price and the appraised price. People ended up losing their deposits, losing out on the home and being sued for by both the seller and the real estate agent. Others bought during a short lived bubble where there were insane bidding wars then went to sell their own home a few months but prices had already dropped to a point where people weren’t offering top dollar and significantly over the asking price. These crazy markets are not only hard to predict can change rapidly so you may feel differently 6 months from now. Who knows. It is pretty clear that Canada (and Australia) has a huge issue when it comes to home prices. Although many have benefited from the ever increasing housing prices around most of Canada, the high level of household debt, the disconnect between salary rates and housing prices, the percentage of the economy that is related to real estate, etc. is going to hurt Canada going forward.
Right. We all know the potential huge issues behind this unreasonable market. But inside this crazy thing I still needs to buy as otherwise rental is not cheap either. Bidding is absolutely no fun. and therefore, when offering a price one needs to set boundaries based on all the risk factors.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Right. We all know the potential huge issues behind this unreasonable market. But inside this crazy thing I still needs to buy as otherwise rental is not cheap either. Bidding is absolutely no fun. and therefore, when offering a price one needs to set boundaries based on all the risk factors.
Unfortunately as prices go up we have seen many push their budgets to highs that are really not advisable but once you have lost out on 5-10 bidding wars emotions often start taking over and to secure a home sometime you need to go above the budget that you are actual comfortable with. Have read some cases even from 10 years ago where families didn't have the money to furnish their home and if one of the spouses lost their job they wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage the next month but they still purchased a larger home and lived with a bed and a few chairs. There are many people purchasing homes at any cost and one of the reasons there is concern about Canadian's debt levels.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
My 2 cents:

I don't like the idea to confound a residence and investment. One generally should not take the residence as an investment. It should be like food and clothing. I literally do not understand those who have a huge house with little furnishings unless it is their unique lifestyle. I could afford a detached but I choose a townhouse. At this time, right after a huge price hike, it is not wise to put all money into the residence, just like I won't pay one of my full paycheque in to a fine dining place or a luxury purse. Leave out something and wait for when there is a better time to invest in real estates, like 2019/2020.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My 2 cents:

I don't like the idea to confound a residence and investment. One generally should not take the residence as an investment. It should be like food and clothing. I literally do not understand those who have a huge house with little furnishings unless it is their unique lifestyle. I could afford a detached but I choose a townhouse. At this time, right after a huge price hike, it is not wise to put all money into the residence, just like I won't pay one of my full paycheque in to a fine dining place or an Hermes purse. Leave out something and wait for when there is a better time to invest in real estates, like 2019/2020.
Agree. Unfortunately in many areas people are not in a position to play it safe. Many have only seen real estate prices increase and take for granted that real state prices will only increase so their home will be guaranteed to worth significantly more in 5-10 years so it is worth stretching their financial limits. Others have bought many properties leveraging one to purchase the next. Real estate in most of Canada has provided good returns so people have come to expect guaranteed good returns and many are "all in" on one asset class.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My 2 cents:

I don't like the idea to confound a residence and investment. One generally should not take the residence as an investment. It should be like food and clothing. I literally do not understand those who have a huge house with little furnishings unless it is their unique lifestyle. I could afford a detached but I choose a townhouse. At this time, right after a huge price hike, it is not wise to put all money into the residence, just like I won't pay one of my full paycheque in to a fine dining place or a luxury purse. Leave out something and wait for when there is a better time to invest in real estates, like 2019/2020.
A huge house with little furnishings makes the home looks more spacious (just as a large retail store with little amount of merchandise on display looks more elegant). For a townhouse, one might need to abide by some decisions of a strata council and bylaws but none for detached house. Surely, you should spend money bit by bit on the residence. Typically, for a brand new home, people move in before the landscaping is done. At a later time, they upgrade their front yard, then back yard, get a shed, purchase additional furniture, etc.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course I know people who have been lucky and bought in a hot neighbourhood right before it took off. Most people still don't want to move after 3 years because moving and selling and buying a home is a tremendous amount of work. Most are happy staying put and paying down their mortgage given the low rate and their home price rise while they do nothing. In many of the hot markets selling a home is not the problem. Securing a new home id the big deal.
Be it 5 to 10 years, moving and selling and buying a home will still be a tremendous amount of work. As in moving and tenancy termination and former tenant buying a home. Also for new immigrants and returnees, moving and selling their home in home country and buying a new home in Canada will also be a tremendous amount of work. It is just life. It's all about choices.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
A huge house with little furnishings makes the home looks more spacious (just as a large retail store with little amount of merchandise on display looks more elegant). For a townhouse, one might need to abide by some decisions of a strata council and bylaws but none for detached house. Surely, you should spend money bit by bit on the residence. Typically, for a brand new home, people move in before the landscaping is done. At a later time, they upgrade their front yard, then back yard, get a shed, purchase additional furniture, etc.
Well we are talking about totally different scenarios. If the little furnishings are out of one's own choice (I mentioned "unique lifestyle") I have no comment. But what the other guy mentioned was when they spent all the money on the house itself so they couldn't afford more furnishings.

I certainly know that (and everyone knows that) a 2 million property is better than a 1m property, and a 1m house is better than a 500k one. But when you need to stretch your limit to buy something, it is generally risky. If you have sufficient funds of course buy whatever you like...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well we are talking about totally different scenarios. If the little furnishings are out of one's own choice (I mentioned "unique lifestyle") I have no comment. But what the other guy mentioned was when they spent all the money on the house itself so they couldn't afford more furnishings.

I certainly know that (and everyone knows that) a 2 million property is better than a 1m property, and a 1m house is better than a 500k one. But when you need to stretch your limit to buy something, it is generally risky. If you have sufficient funds of course buy whatever you like...
If you are not picky, from time to time, there are free used furniture for anyone to grab or buy used things in various garage sale.

vivek901

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
App. Filed.......
28-01-2002
Doc's Request.
19-11-2007
Med's Request
14-04-2008
Med's Done....
24-05-2008
Passport Req..
21-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2008
LANDED..........
30-04-2009
Hey guys,

It's been 15 years since I have moved to Canada. I'm an Indian citizen, and a few years back, I got my PR. Now I have a plan to buy a new house in Canada. But, the one I have checked is a bit high in the budget. So we need to go for a mortgage.

Has anyone here recently took a mortgage? Are the rates are lower due to COVID-19? Is there any change in the policies for Indian citizens?

Thanks!
Even though the rates are low now the prices are very high especially in GTA. The problem with rates is they can be locked in only for 5 years. So after 5 years your payment could go up and you will end up paying loan for a long period of time and will be under debt. Think carefully and make a rational decision in this market.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even though the rates are low now the prices are very high especially in GTA. The problem with rates is they can be locked in only for 5 years. So after 5 years your payment could go up and you will end up paying loan for a long period of time and will be under debt. Think carefully and make a rational decision in this market.
But during that 5 years, the bank might give you an offer for rates reduction.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Not really..my $500'000 house in New Brunswick is much nicer than a $1'000'000 shack in Toronto

RobertDuncan

Feb 21, 2022
We all perfectly understand the current situation in the real estate market in the country. It certainly leaves much to be desired. But also each of us clearly understands that the one who is looking for will always find a good offer. Of course, there are situations when you urgently need a house, of course, but this is a process that requires careful research. First of all, it is worth doing market analysis. So when I decided on a mortgage, I hired a mortgage consultant from Mortgage Advice Birmingham. With his help, we found a great hot offer.