03-12-2010
Med's Done....
06-12-2010
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2011
Hello everyone,
I was just checking the rent of apartments in west islands. The apartments are more than expensive in west islands than those in CDN- NDG areas (especially near concordia uni). Initially, the area I was looking at was Gatineau-Hull. However, now I am leaning towards Montreal coz i heard there are more survival jobs there. But, now confused abt where in Montreal. I have seen there is 1 1/2 apartment starting at $500 in CDN where as in west islands starting at $700. My budget for rent is max $700. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me which area has better jobs opportunities, and also better for families.
Regards
Shahzad

L

limanoid

Don't go to the West Island. It's expensive for what it is and, in my opinion, only good if you have a car and want to live in a house. Most "survival" jobs are located in the downtown and getting to downtown during non-rush hour from the WI sucks. What is the point of making minimum or near minimum wage if are spending all of it on rent?3

If you have a family, a 1 1/2 will not fit. That is a studio apartment which is a bedroom and kitchen/living room all together and a closed bathroom.

CDN-NDG is affordable and a decent area. You can get a 3 1/2 for less than $700, I am sure. There are diverse residents, and its closer to the centre of everything than West Island is. And it's better for your budget. Check out http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/ and look under apartments/housing.

If you are alone for the time being, maybe you can rent a room in an apartment instead of renting an entire place.

shahzadchowdhry said:
Hello everyone,
I was just checking the rent of apartments in west islands. The apartments are more than expensive in west islands than those in CDN- NDG areas (especially near concordia uni). Initially, the area I was looking at was Gatineau-Hull. However, now I am leaning towards Montreal coz i heard there are more survival jobs there. But, now confused abt where in Montreal. I have seen there is 1 1/2 apartment starting at $500 in CDN where as in west islands starting at $700. My budget for rent is max $700. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me which area has better jobs opportunities, and also better for families.
Regards
Shahzad

shahzadchowdhry

Star Member
Dec 17, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2010
Nomination.....
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-10-2010
Med's Request
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
06-12-2010
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2011
Hi limanoid,
thanks alot. very informative. Now, i think i know where to go. We will try to save as much as we can on rentals at the beginning, then may be move to a bigger apart. r u in montreal?
Regards
Shahzad

L

limanoid

I have at one time lived in and around Montreal.

By the way, the system for describing a place is strange in Montreal. 1/2 refers to the bathroom. And anything over 3 1/2 guarantees a closed bedroom. A 2 1/2 most often has a closed bedroom, but sometimes not.

Also, fyi: the selection for apartments is more limited at this time of year. July 1st is an unofficial "moving day" in Quebec. A lot of people move on this day, which allows you to get a larger selection of places to choose from. If getting a place soon, maybe they will have the lease renew on July 1st rather than in a year's time. This would give you an option of either renewing it for a year once July comes around or simply moving out and finding a better place since you will be more settled at that time.

seradad

Sep 26, 2013
West Island is good for families. If you need a job. Stay down town unless you are bilingual