+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Montreal.. is french a must in schools??

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know if French a compulsary subject in Montreal Schools. Any other option available. Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cheerup said:
Does anyone know if French a compulsary subject in Montreal Schools. Any other option available. Thanks.
From the MICC site

"Education is free for all Québec residents, from kindergarten to college inclusively. The Québec public education system is secular and language-based (French and English) according to the language of instruction in the schools. Since French is the official language of Québec, children of immigrants, regardless of their mother tongue, are usually required to attend a local establishment of the French school board until the end of secondary studies. In addition, mixed gender classes are the norm at all levels of education."

PMM

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM. I have 6th, 7th and 9th graders studying in NY. Montreal is the closest city to NY. I will be driving to and from New york for few years. The only thing which i am unconfortable with is that if i have to learn french at this age. My kids could do this with time but it is certainly extra burden on them if we could avoid that. I have a year to go before anything happens. Does anyone has any suggestions on what other city i should look at for settlement and which is not too far from new york. Thanks a lot.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Why not expose your kids to French? It will give them an extra advantage when they enter the job market and make them well- rounded citizens. They will also learn it very easily because they are young.

What PMM said is right. Bill 101 requires children to be educated in French regardless of mother tongue, unless one or both parents were educated in English IN CANADA.

Don't look at it as a burden, but an opportunity for your kids to learn something new.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I agree with PommeDeRoute. What a glorious opportunity for the kids!!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If you are going to be living in Quebec or New Brunswick, you should try to learn French. In fact, if you are going to live elsewhere in Canada, you should probably try to learn at least some French. There are quite a few jobs in Manitoba (although predominantly Anglophone) that require French language skills.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am going to put two of us prepare for french soon. I am sure it will make a difference. Thank you all for valuable insight.