+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

money to follow

Abdu

Feb 4, 2010
guys! I will be landing in Canada soon. I will take the settlement funds with. I knew that the money we take with us is not taxable. Is it possible to indicate to the border authorities that some money (example 100000CAD) will be brought later. If yes would this money be non taxable as well. The money is not ready now but might be ready in a few months

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Abdu said:
guys! I will be landing in Canada soon. I will take the settlement funds with. I knew that the money we take with us is not taxable. Is it possible to indicate to the border authorities that some money (example 100000CAD) will be brought later. If yes would this money be non taxable as well. The money is not ready now but might be ready in a few months
They don't care, you just have to report it when you carry it to Canada to CBSA, there is no taxes. If it is electronically transferred, the bank reports it to Fintrac.

suttam

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
26-10-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
PER Date: 27-09-2013
Med's Request
21-12-2013
Med's Done....
updated on 20-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 22-02-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
PMM said:
Hi

They don't care, you just have to report it when you carry it to Canada to CBSA, there is no taxes. If it is electronically transferred, the bank reports it to Fintrac.
Is it true? One can declare what money he intends to bring in his later visits from his home country? I am not 100% sure abt it !!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
suttam said:
Is it true? One can declare what money he intends to bring in his later visits from his home country? I am not 100% sure abt it !!
Of course it's true.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

suttam said:
No, you only declare funds over $10K when you enter/depart from Canada. You don't declare future funds.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The salient point is this ...
There is no need to mention that you intend to bring in money in the future because Canada doesn't tax incoming funds. Ever. You're required to declare any amounts over $10,000 that you physically carry with/on your person whenever you enter Canada, but these amounts are not taxed. The amounts and dates of any transfers over $10,000 are entered into a database (FinTrac) in order to track/prevent the transfer of funds that may be tied to organized crime, smuggling, terrorism, etc. Large and/or repeated cash transfers over $10,000 will definitely raise some eyebrows, but as long as you can explain and document the source of these funds, you'll be just fine.
It is always a good idea to carry proof of origin when you declare large (over $10,000) sums, i.e., bank statements showing that the funds are from an account you recently closed, documents from the sale of real estate, or any other paperwork that establishes the funds as coming from legitimate (non-illegal) sources. The easiest and safest way to transfer large sums is by electronic bank transfer. As PMM noted, these funds are automatically reported so you do not have to mention them to border authorities.