+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Money received after landing

sato2

Oct 24, 2009
Dear,

I am supposed to receive my pension within few months after landing. Should I declare that I will receive it later and its amount, when landing or not necessary.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sato2 said:
Dear,

I am supposed to receive my pension within few months after landing. Should I declare that I will receive it later and its amount, when landing or not necessary.

Thanks
You will have to declare on your Canadian income tax return. Depending on the country of source, Canada may have a tax treaty with it, so you will not be doubly taxed.

PMM

ei8ht

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15 Aug 2009
but PM, i didn't declare anything while landing, except the above 10000 i was carrying. and over the last few months quite some monies were wired to my scotiabank ac. no one asked me anything till now. will that be a red flag later?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ei8ht said:
but PM, i didn't declare anything while landing, except the above 10000 i was carrying. and over the last few months quite some monies were wired to my scotiabank ac. no one asked me anything till now. will that be a red flag later?
Ah but the bank did, google Fintrac.

PMM

sato2

Oct 24, 2009
Thank you!

I was more interesting on what to do on landing. Should I tell them that I will be receiving some money later or not?
I will ask my bank what I must do when I received the money. Of course the money will be taxed in the country of origin.

thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sato2 said:
Thank you!

I was more interesting on what to do on landing. Should I tell them that I will be receiving some money later or not?
I will ask my bank what I must do when I received the money. Of course the money will be taxed in the country of origin.

thanks again
You don't have to do anything. Just report the money as income on your Canadian tax return and you can probably claim the taxes that you have already paid. It is actually a job for a tax accountant. If it is a monthly pension there is also a Canadian tax deduction for pension income.

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Since thre seemed to be some confusion about your question, Sato2, let me wade in here.

On landing, you declare only the cash you are carrying with you (above $10,000). Income you will receive later, once in Canada, is handled two ways. Yes, your bank will inform FINTRAC as it receives wire transfers into your account. The bank may also ask you for more information about the source of the funds, including perhaps asking or a declaration from a source bank.

Pensions received from offshore will be taxed in your Canadian tax return, and there is a place in the return to state taxes paid in the source country -- which reduces your tax payable to Canada.

If -- as PMM says -- there is no tax treaty between Canada and the source country, you may be taxed twice on this income. This is where a good international tax accountant might be useful. Otherwise, just follow the Guide for your tax return. Or, better yet in my opinion, buy QuickTax. For about $40 it simplifies the tax return immensely.

Welcome to taxanada.

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
I apologize but I need to hijack this thread for a question of my own. There's a tax in my country that I can collect back if I leave the country for good, ie. leaving to Canada, but I can't collect it till I have the PR card. It isn't my intention to return and collect it as soon as I get the PR card but I'm sure I will collect it eventually since it can only be done face to face. Should I declare this money in the tax return once I collect it? It's really not much, like $800 at the time of writing (since the currency is very likely to be devaluated soon). Also, money gifts from my parents (in a future after landing) should be declared in tax return as well? My country doesn't have a tax treaty with Canada either but these two things aren't taxable over there either.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zygurn said:
I apologize but I need to hijack this thread for a question of my own. There's a tax in my country that I can collect back if I leave the country for good, ie. leaving to Canada, but I can't collect it till I have the PR card. It isn't my intention to return and collect it as soon as I get the PR card but I'm sure I will collect it eventually since it can only be done face to face. Should I declare this money in the tax return once I collect it? It's really not much, like $800 at the time of writing (since the currency is very likely to be devaluated soon). Also, money gifts from my parents (in a future after landing) should be declared in tax return as well? My country doesn't have a tax treaty with Canada either but these two things aren't taxable over there either.
1. You would have to report the $800 as income, you don't have to report gifts.

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Let's pause on the $800 before rushing to pay taxes on it. :D

Why is it being returned to you?

If it was a bond or some other after-tax money you deposited, and now it is being returned to you, it is not income per se but rather a "return of capital", and not taxable.

So, if you'll explain the original source of the money, we can give better advice. In any event, $800 is not going to generate much tax.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I plan to transfer some money (about $5000) to my Canadian account from my home one - this money is just my savings. do I need to pay tax on it?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Suin said:
I plan to transfer some money (about $5000) to my Canadian account from my home one - this money is just my savings. do I need to pay tax on it?
No.

PMM

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
thank you for your reply, PMM. is there any way to prove that this money is not my income? as I heard they will make me to enter them into my this year taxes filing.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to report any interested earned and pay taxes on that, but you don't have to pay taxes on your own money that you just moved from one bank to another.

Suin said:
thank you for your reply, PMM. is there any way to prove that this money is not my income? as I heard they will make me to enter them into my this year taxes filing.