+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MONCTON. Best areas to live in for the young family of 3.

LilyC

Apr 5, 2015
Is anyone familiar with Moncton? What areas are the best and what should we avoid?

We have a baby, who will be 2 years old when we move. We'd prefer to have some sort of a park nearby, as well as supermarket, creche and a safe neighbourhood.

paolo1967

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7 2015
Nomination.....
Jan 19 2015
AOR Received.
June 4 2015
Med's Request
Aug 19 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 10 2015
Passport Req..
April 26 2016
VISA ISSUED...
May 23,2016
LANDED..........
July 2 2016
Hi LilyC

I went to Moncton this summer. It is lovely peaceful place to live and to raise children. It is very safe and it is small town. Your question is tricky as Moncton is divide into two communities French and English, on the other hand it depends on your budget and whether you want to rent or to buy. Generally parks all over Moncton and all are reachable. No one can give this advice as it depends on your need and budget but defiantly you will find what you are looking for and you will enjoy it.

LilyC

Apr 5, 2015
Wow, thank you paolo1967 for your reply. Honestly, I gave up on this thread, since I was the only one talking :D

We are going with the minimum budget required for a family of three, so we are not wealthy at all, but full of enthusiasm and potential. Well, I'd say we are middle-class. We're not scroogy either, so we'll prioritise having good conditions and comfort over saving money. We plan to rent for the first year or two.

As for the language, we don't speak any French. I guess, Dieppe is out of the picture then.

paolo1967

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7 2015
Nomination.....
Jan 19 2015
AOR Received.
June 4 2015
Med's Request
Aug 19 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 10 2015
Passport Req..
April 26 2016
VISA ISSUED...
May 23,2016
LANDED..........
July 2 2016
Hi LilyC. Just to keep all your options open; all in Moncton are speaking English even in Dieppe. You will can rent 2 bed room apartments with reasonable price all over Moncton. Moncton is lovely place full of greenery and people are nice and friendly, additionally it is one of the cheapest areas in Canada. I believe you will do just fine there. Good luck

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I would recommend that you have a look to see if there are any blogs or forums about moncton, moncton areas, schools, life in general. People love to rant, so I found these very helpful when I moved to Canada in 2009. Good Luck.. Atlantic Canada is pretty decent :)

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
LilyC said:
As for the language, we don't speak any French. I guess, Dieppe is out of the picture then.
I'm the only person in my family to speak some broken French. However, we live in Dieppe and we haven't had any problems whatsoever.
Actually, I'd say Dieppe (most of it) is the best part of Greater Moncton. Northern Moncton is pretty good. Riverview is good, too (and mostly English if that's what you want). Try to avoid central parts of Moncton, downtown and a few blocks around it. The rest of the city is fine.

paolo1967

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7 2015
Nomination.....
Jan 19 2015
AOR Received.
June 4 2015
Med's Request
Aug 19 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 10 2015
Passport Req..
April 26 2016
VISA ISSUED...
May 23,2016
LANDED..........
July 2 2016
Hi DirectEnergy. i totaly agree with you that Dieppe & Riverview are one of the best areas in Moncton. i want to ask about Camelot area it is North Dieppe, what is your feedback about it.

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
I think it's just north of the highway and already technically a part of Moncton. In any case, I'm not familiar with that area, I'm sorry.

paolo1967

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7 2015
Nomination.....
Jan 19 2015
AOR Received.
June 4 2015
Med's Request
Aug 19 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 10 2015
Passport Req..
April 26 2016
VISA ISSUED...
May 23,2016
LANDED..........
July 2 2016
thank you DirectEnergy. it in on Shediac road

LilyC

Apr 5, 2015
paolo1967 said:
Hi LilyC. Just to keep all your options open; all in Moncton are speaking English even in Dieppe. You will can rent 2 bed room apartments with reasonable price all over Moncton. Moncton is lovely place full of greenery and people are nice and friendly, additionally it is one of the cheapest areas in Canada. I believe you will do just fine there. Good luck
Thank you, wishing you all the best, too :)

LilyC

Apr 5, 2015
NetMecca said:
I would recommend that you have a look to see if there are any blogs or forums about moncton, moncton areas, schools, life in general. People love to rant, so I found these very helpful when I moved to Canada in 2009. Good Luck.. Atlantic Canada is pretty decent :)
Thank you for your suggestions. We are looking forward to moving there!

LilyC

Apr 5, 2015
DirectEnergy said:
I'm the only person in my family to speak some broken French. However, we live in Dieppe and we haven't had any problems whatsoever.
Actually, I'd say Dieppe (most of it) is the best part of Greater Moncton. Northern Moncton is pretty good. Riverview is good, too (and mostly English if that's what you want). Try to avoid central parts of Moncton, downtown and a few blocks around it. The rest of the city is fine.
Thank you for your replies.
Yes, we were looking at Riverview, too. Looks like a lovely area.

Thanks for letting us know about the places to avoid. Another area of the city we are looking at is around Mapleton Road, before the Wheeler Blvd. Are you by any chance familiar with this area?

PS. Just discovered I finally can rate commentators. +1 for everyone :)

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Lily,

Are you referring to north of Wheeler Blvd or south of it? :) In any case, those areas are decent, generally speaking. Parts of Central Moncton are run-down and shabby, other than that it should be fine.
Riverview is nice, our family doctor is there, but every time we go to Riverview it looks so empty! In any case, it looks like they have all necessary services in Riverview and a lot of stores. And you are just across the bridge from Moncton anyway.