+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moms & Dads...what about schools system in Canada?

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Dear Moms and Dads,,

It is an important matter needs to be deeply discussed for our kids future in Canada. To be honest, Im not sure if the schools in Canada are US-based system or UK-based system in essence that in USA system the schools are quite massive with 1000s of students in each, whereas the UK schools are only couple of 100s of students in each. I would strongly prefer the UK system for my kid (the less students in the class, the better concentration and outcomes), correct me guys if I'm wrong, but that what I think. Should you have some more information about this, please do share it here.

All the best for you (Moms & Dads) and for your kids.

Regards
TMSB

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Further to Baloo's...
Age Vs. Grade in Canada
(Except the province of Quebec)

Which Grade my kids will be admitted to when we 'land'?
Contrary to whatever Grade/Class/Std our kids were studying overseas [eg. in our homeland] as we 'land' here our kids would be taken into a Grade as per his/her age. Here is which grade they'd attend/admitted to, as per their age group...

NOTE:
1. Students in the Prairie provinces are not required by statute to attend kindergarten.
2. Kindergarten is not often available in smaller towns.

Early childhood education
-Junior Kindergarten (ages 4–5)
-Kindergarten (ages 5–6)

Elementary education
-Grade 1 (ages 6–7)
-Grade 2 (ages 7–8)
-Grade 3 (ages 8–9)
-Grade 4 (ages 9–10)
-Grade 5 (ages 10–11)
-Grade 6 (ages 11–12)
-Grade 7 (ages 12–13)
-Grade 8 (ages 13–14)

Secondary education
-Grade 9 (ages 14–15)
-Grade 10 (ages 15–16)
-Grade 11 (ages 16–17)
-Grade 12 (ages 17–18)
-Grade 12+ (ages 18+)

So, what about 'pre-school'? Before KG?
Coming-up in the next post...

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Daycare - a Nightmare !

1. Daycare is quite pricy here. It'd be difficult to find one which charges lower than $800-1000/month.
2. KG is part of the Public Schooling (it's Free). Starts@4yrs.

City of Toronto : Daycare Brochure
http://www.toronto.ca/children/pdf/guide.pdf

Daycare - Costs & Worries; News
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/218181

Qorax

Shazphysio

Mar 18, 2011
What about working parents? I am planing to work in a Hospital and have a 3 year old.. is there any cresh facility available at the work place in Canada?
thanks in advance!

msaleem216

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2007
Doc's Request.
10-03-2009
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2014
LANDED..........
3rd December,2014 INSHA ALLAH
very useful infromation abt kid edu

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Dear all,

I was pretty certain that such a subject is an important issue and seniors will Kabaga their knowledge in it. You provided brilliant information guys thank you very much for you all. However, I haven't found an answer to my question " is it US-based system OR UK-based?"

Regards
TMSB

Mari_cnd

Star Member
Jan 13, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-5-10
Doc's Request.
6-4-10
Med's Done....
11-10-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2-5-11
LANDED..........
4-8-11
for me...either US based or UK based i will send my child to private school. it is worth every penny sending them to a private school. ratio in private school is 20:1

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
You can check out the website of the public school board in the city or town you want to settle in. They usually have information about number of enrollees in schools under their jurisdiction as well as the special programs that they have for students.

For instance, in the school where my daughter is attending kindergarten they have English as Additional Language, Advanced reading and Advanced Science programs. They also have an arts and music program. Number of enrollees for this school year from Pre-K to Grade 8 is 250+ students. So I guess the teacher to student ratio here is good. There are 21 kids in my daughter's kindergarten class and they have 2 teachers.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
TMSB said:
Dear all,

I was pretty certain that such a subject is an important issue and seniors will Kabaga their knowledge in it. You provided brilliant information guys thank you very much for you all. However, I haven't found an answer to my question " is it US-based system OR UK-based?"

Regards
TMSB
Actually it's neither... but, a shade bent towards the UK's Baccalaureate.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Mari_cnd said:
for me...either US based or UK based i will send my child to private school. it is worth every penny sending them to a private school. ratio in private school is 20:1
Remember though - 80% kids here go to the [FREE] Public Schools.
-Their education is absolutely@par to the [PAID] Private Schools.
-Technically there's just no difference. -neither in the child/teacher ratio
-There is a history of successful professionals [businessmen, statesmen, Govt. Servants etc.] coming-out from them.
-There is a huge cost differential between the two. -Pvt. Schools r usually unaffordable by the masses
-Usually those kids go to Pvt. Schools whose parent/s r teaching there... or they have some sort of lien provided by their employer/s*.

Think about it !

Qorax
*Eg. employed@higher levels in Govt. Depts/Military/Police etc.

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Remember though - 80% kids here go to the [FREE] Public Schools.
-Their education is absolutely @ par to the [PAID] Private Schools.
-Technically there's just no difference. -neither in the child/teacher ratio
-There is a history of successful professionals [businessmen, statesmen, Govt. Servants etc.] coming-out from them.
-There is a huge cost differential between the two. -Pvt. Schools r usually unaffordable by the masses
-Usually those kids go to Pvt. Schools whose parent/s r teaching there... or they have some sort of lien provided by their employer/s*.

Think about it !

Qorax
*Eg. employed @ higher levels in Govt. Depts/Military/Police etc.
Thanks Captain for the info and confirming what I anticipated....I think it is one of the major reason many of us opted for Canada PR!!! To ensure free and quality education for our child in the first place... So personally I will look no further for my child to sent in public school...

Mari_cnd

Star Member
Jan 13, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-5-10
Doc's Request.
6-4-10
Med's Done....
11-10-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2-5-11
LANDED..........
4-8-11
yes i know..... just check the school rating of such public school first before you enroll your kid. here in US I already tried sending my kid to both public & private school... theres a huge difference when it comes to discipline & quality of education but theres public school that offers good quality of learning just check the school rating.

i also prefer private catholic school bec of our religion which public school do not offer. I heard that theres a catholic school in canada that do not cost too much or no tuition fee at all..... Hope it is not too expensive compared here in US $400-500/mo for elementary & arnd $700/mo for middle school.

I am not against studying in public school... I even want to use our benefits of our over inflated taxes which go for providing free education.