+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moms & Dads...what about schools system in Canada?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Mari_cnd said:
yes i know..... just check the school rating of such public school first before you enroll your kid. here in US I already tried sending my kid to both public & private school... theres a huge difference when it comes to discipline & quality of education but theres public school that offers good quality of learning just check the school rating.

i also prefer private catholic school bec of our religion which public school do not offer. I heard that theres a catholic school in canada that do not cost too much or no tuition fee at all..... Hope it is not too expensive compared here in US $400-500/mo for elementary & arnd $700/mo for middle school.

I am not against studying in public school... I even want to use our benefits of our over inflated taxes which go for providing free education.
1. There's a difference between the US & Canadian Public Schooling. Here it's a social benefit offered by law to the populace... strictly monitored by Govt... they have a stake@it!

2. The Caholic Schools here r also 'public schools' -- free to the masses [not a $ charged]. Just governed under a different board. The quality of edn & system procedures remain the same. Just that they have 'uniforms' while the other do not. And that they also incorporate religious studies.

Qorax

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
qorax said:
Remember though - 80% kids here go to the [FREE] Public Schools.
-Their education is absolutely @ par to the [PAID] Private Schools.
-Technically there's just no difference. -neither in the child/teacher ratio
-There is a history of successful professionals [businessmen, statesmen, Govt. Servants etc.] coming-out from them.
-There is a huge cost differential between the two. -Pvt. Schools r usually unaffordable by the masses
-Usually those kids go to Pvt. Schools whose parent/s r teaching there... or they have some sort of lien provided by their employer/s*.

Think about it !

Qorax
*Eg. employed @ higher levels in Govt. Depts/Military/Police etc.
Hi Qorax,,
I definitly respect your words and points here but why then there are private schools if there is no difference to the public??? I am sorry im just thinking about the difference to decide where to send the kid

regards
TMSB

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
TMSB said:
Hi Qorax,,
I definitly respect your words and points here but why then there are private schools if there is no difference to the public??? I am sorry im just thinking about the difference to decide where to send the kid

regards
TMSB
If u can afford & have the free money, why not?
It's just a business model & is available for the gullible...

Qorax
Ps.: U aren't alone, many think likewise before coming... but, once they r here - they send their kids to the same school where ours go!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
For many years, I was in and out of public and private schools all the time for work. One of the main differences I noticed was that students in Private School were expected to BEHAVE POLITELY. Sometimes I was shocked by the Public School students' disregard for their teachers. Private Schools appear to have higher expectations of student outcomes (more homework, higher overall scores). All this sounds great, doesn't it? Well there are also some downsides. One of the main ones was that many students in Private Schools are enrolled because their parents are often busy professionals who do not have time to supervise their children so it falls to school staff to set the limits. Often these students have more disposable income and that can lead to a variety of problems. One of my all time favourite elementary schools was a Catholic Private School, but I do not know how their scholastic accomplishments compared to other local schools. The staff and students there were just wonderful. It was one of the few places where students actually said "Thank You" when I gave them an immunization!
I would suggest all parents keep an open mind about where to send their children until they have a chance to get settled and go around to schools in their neighbourhoods. Observe and interview, look online for information, then make a decision. School starts in early September. It is adviseable to register your child in the school of your choice as soon as possible.

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Dear Pippin,

thank you very much for the information, lets see if Qorax has any comments.

regards
TMSB

rmdharan

Star Member
Oct 20, 2008
Dear all,

I had already asked the below query in a different thread, TMSB suggested me to post it in this thread also to get the experts advice.

I am going to Canada(Richmond Hill, Ontario) on Work Permit with my family by mid of April, I need to join my son(4.5 years) in KinderGarden, Will he get easily admissions in the public school there being a visitor accompanied by work permit holder(me)?

We have also applied for PR and the application is "In process" in Newyork VO from Jun 2010.

Mari_cnd

Star Member
Jan 13, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-5-10
Doc's Request.
6-4-10
Med's Done....
11-10-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2-5-11
LANDED..........
4-8-11
There will be no problem as long as you hold a valid working visa & pay your taxes... same here in US.

chintu

Sep 6, 2009
Kuwait
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2007
Doc's Request.
01-May-2009
AOR Received.
01-Jul-2007
Med's Request
01-Aug-2010
Med's Done....
01-Sep-2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 2011
Dear Friends,

I am in the process of moving to Toronto this summer. I would really help if landed immigrants can share their experience with getting admissions for thier kids in elementary public schools in Toronto.

I know that SChools do ask for Vaccination records. I am interested in knowing if there are any other specific documents that we need to carry for admitting our kids to elementary public schools.

Thanks,
Chintu

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
chintu said:
Dear Friends,

I am in the process of moving to Toronto this summer. I would really help if landed immigrants can share their experience with getting admissions for thier kids in elementary public schools in Toronto.

I know that SChools do ask for Vaccination records. I am interested in knowing if there are any other specific documents that we need to carry for admitting our kids to elementary public schools.

Thanks,
Chintu
1. Immunization Record/s.
2. School's Transfer Certificate.
3. Birth Certificate/s.
4. Your Lease Contract copy.

That's about it.

Have a safe & happy journey.
Qorax