+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MNI/LICO for sponsorship

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
I know someone who doesn’t meet the MNI for the parent sponsorship, but she is trying to meet the requirement by fake report income as a dog sitter (self-employed) for her dog and pretend it belongs to the relative. The relative will pay her cheques, and she will repay them after-tax reporting. I know this is a misrepresentation, and the applicant(PR) is risking herself getting her PR revoked for committing immigration fraud. Still, I heard this kind of variation is commonly used among those who do not meet financial eligibility. Does anyone have insight on it?

Also, if a person doesn’t have a job, doesn’t have any income on NOA, but his wealthy, is there a way for the person to prove the financial ability for parent sponsorship?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know someone who doesn’t meet the MNI for the parent sponsorship, but she is trying to meet the requirement by fake report income as a dog sitter (self-employed) for her dog and pretend it belongs to the relative. The relative will pay her cheques, and she will repay them after-tax reporting. I know this is a misrepresentation, and the applicant(PR) is risking herself getting her PR revoked for committing immigration fraud. Still, I heard this kind of variation is commonly used among those who do not meet financial eligibility. Does anyone have insight on it?

Also, if a person doesn’t have a job, doesn’t have any income on NOA, but his wealthy, is there a way for the person to prove the financial ability for parent sponsorship?

Thanks.
The misrepresentation risk is to the parents. If the misrepresentation is discovered, the parents will be banned from Canada for 5 years.

For your second question... No - there isn't any other way to prove financial ability. Only income reported in the NOA is accepted.

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
The misrepresentation risk is to the parents. If the misrepresentation is discovered, the parents will be banned from Canada for 5 years.

For your second question... No - there isn't any other way to prove financial ability. Only income reported in the NOA is accepted.
Thank you for the reply, I was curious as to how the obvious fraud is but still viable and not been addressed by the IRCC yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply, I was curious as to how the obvious fraud is but still viable and not been addressed by the IRCC yet.
IRCC isn't as stupid as people think they are when it comes to stuff like this. So I guess she should be prepared to have her parents banned from Canada for five years and the application refused.

Technically this is also income tax fraud which creates separate challenges and comes with separate consequences.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks.
Where does the person park his wealth? In a zero interest banking account? Hard to believe it is not generating at least bank interest income.

Reactions: sum4141s

frange

May 25, 2018

Thanks.
Instead of doing that, you could move to Quebec and stay there during the process. The process is longer but the financial eligibility is easier to meet ( 1 Year not 3 years).

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
Instead of doing that, you could move to Quebec and stay there during the process. The process is longer but the financial eligibility is easier to meet ( 1 Year not 3 years).
Thanks for the strategy, I've reviewed Quebec's family class immigration and see that they have only one year of financial proof with different schemes. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm afraid this strategy not viable if the person is working in Toronto and relocating to Quebec for the sole purpose of sponsoring a family is not realistic when the person needs to find a new work that satisfies the financial requirement with no french skills and faced with the uncertainty of being drawn from the lottery. Thank you for the creative suggestion!

frange

May 25, 2018
Inboxed you already.

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/specific-requirements/financial-standards/calculation.php

Use the size of your family and the sponsor's one as well. and follow the guide. No french skills required for the family class, it is only for skilled workers.
I had a colleague who did that without leaving the province during the process, Inbox me for specific questions.
All that is legal, nothing illegal but not totally moral since there is a form in Qc undertakings called.. Intent to reside in Qc.. It has to be filled out by People who reside outside of Qc. By this form, you declare that you will live in Qc once PR granted. Legally, you don't have to since as PR, you can live anywhere in Canada. At the end, Once PR granted, QC has no immigration jurisdiction on you, neither your status in Canada.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sum4141s

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Inboxed you already.

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/specific-requirements/financial-standards/calculation.php

Use the size of your family and the sponsor's one as well. and follow the guide. No french skills required for the family class, it is only for skilled workers.
I had a colleague who did that without leaving the province during the process, Inbox me for specific questions.
All that is legal, nothing illegal but not totally moral since there is a form in Qc undertakings called.. Intent to reside in Qc.. It has to be filled out by People who reside outside of Qc. By this form, you declare that you will live in Qc once PR granted. Legally, you don't have to since as PR, you can live anywhere in Canada. At the end, Once PR granted, QC has no immigration jurisdiction on you, neither your status in Canada.
This is for EE not PGP. You must be filing Quebec taxes and remain in Quebec during processing.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the strategy, I've reviewed Quebec's family class immigration and see that they have only one year of financial proof with different schemes. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm afraid this strategy not viable if the person is working in Toronto and relocating to Quebec for the sole purpose of sponsoring a family is not realistic when the person needs to find a new work that satisfies the financial requirement with no french skills and faced with the uncertainty of being drawn from the lottery. Thank you for the creative suggestion!
Committing both immigration and tax fraud is perhaps the stupidest thing people could do. If caught you could not only be charged with a crime but you will have trouble sponsoring anyone in the future, you may be flagged everytime you enter Canada, you are much more likely to be audited, etc. Your relative could also be charged with fraud and could also be subject to things like auditing. To qualify to sponsor in Quebec you must file Quebec taxes and remain living in Quebec while the sponsorship is processing.

frange

May 25, 2018
Committing both immigration and tax fraud is perhaps the stupidest thing people could do. If caught you could not only be charged with a crime but you will have trouble sponsoring anyone in the future, you may be flagged everytime you enter Canada, you are much more likely to be audited, etc. Your relative could also be charged with fraud and could also be subject to things like auditing. To qualify to sponsor in Quebec you must file Quebec taxes and remain living in Quebec while the sponsorship is processing.
Sponsorship in Canada is a federal jurisdiction and as a PR you can live anywhere in Canada. You can plan to move anywhere in Canada even Quebec; but for Quebec there is another form to add if a Canadian or a PR intends to move there while living outside of Quebec or abroad.... Intent to live in Quebec.

And you are completely wrong by saying that:To qualify to sponsor in Quebec you must file Quebec taxes and remain living in Quebec while the sponsorship is processing.

Go and make research about Quebec immigration. There is a disposal for this kind of process.. .. Intent to live in Quebec is should be filed with the Quebec undertakings. For financial assessment, you have to provide income with Canadian sources.

There is no immigration fraud that way. Tax fraud... yes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sponsorship in Canada is a federal jurisdiction and as a PR you can live anywhere in Canada. You can plan to move anywhere in Canada even Quebec; but for Quebec there is another form to add if a Canadian or a PR intends to move there while living outside of Quebec or abroad.... Intent to live in Quebec.

And you are completely wrong by saying that:To qualify to sponsor in Quebec you must file Quebec taxes and remain living in Quebec while the sponsorship is processing.

Go and make research about Quebec immigration. There is a disposal for this kind of process.. .. Intent to live in Quebec is should be filed with the Quebec undertakings. For financial assessment, you have to provide income with Canadian sources.

There is no immigration fraud that way. Tax fraud... yes.
Sponsoring parents and express entry requirements are very different. The intent to live outside Quebec is for express entry programs. To qualify for the 1 year versus 3 year sponsorship requirement you do have to provide your Quebec tax return and remain in Quebec during processing. If you didn't need to live in Quebec and remain in Quebec during processing there would be no way to determine who qualified for the 1 year proof of income versus the 3 year NOA. Last year we saw an applicant receive a PFL because they had moved out of Quebec for most of the year for their job and even though they maintained an apartment and their bills in Quebec the PFL indicated that they weren't living in Quebec so didn't qualify to sponsor. If intent to live in Quebec was the requirement children throughout Canada would apply for PGP with 1 year of income meeting LICO and if selected they would be able to submit proof that they will be moving to Quebec. If that was allowed everyone would be doing this but it isn't possible. To qualify for the 1 year NOA you already have to be in Quebec and remain in Quebec until your parents land. PRs have freedom of movement throughout Canada but if they want to qualify for the PGP requirements for Quebec they must be in Quebec.

frange

May 25, 2018
Sponsoring parents and express entry requirements are very different. The intent to live outside Quebec is for express entry programs. To qualify for the 1 year versus 3 year sponsorship requirement you do have to provide your Quebec tax return and remain in Quebec during processing. If you didn't need to live in Quebec and remain in Quebec during processing there would be no way to determine who qualified for the 1 year proof of income versus the 3 year NOA. Last year we saw an applicant receive a PFL because they had moved out of Quebec for most of the year for their job and even though they maintained an apartment and their bills in Quebec the PFL indicated that they weren't living in Quebec so didn't qualify to sponsor. If intent to live in Quebec was the requirement children throughout Canada would apply for PGP with 1 year of income meeting LICO and if selected they would be able to submit proof that they will be moving to Quebec. If that was allowed everyone would be doing this but it isn't possible. To qualify for the 1 year NOA you already have to be in Quebec and remain in Quebec until your parents land. PRs have freedom of movement throughout Canada but if they want to qualify for the PGP requirements for Quebec they must be in Quebec.
You are completely wrong. Unfortunately you did not read the Quebec immigration process.
1- Express entry for Federal and Arrima for Quebec ( Skilled worker program)
2- Either for Skilled worker or family class....... If you live outside of Quebec, you must file the form... Intent to live/reside in Quebec which an intent, but not enforceable by Quebec because once RP granted, Quebec has no jurisdiction due to the Canada charter of right and freedom.
3-If you file the sponsorship with a NON Quebec address while you reside in Qc for over a year actually. Of course you will receive a PFL since OP becomes automatically Quebec resident and must submit the Quebec undertakings( Csq step). The opposite apply as well, if OP has a Quebec address while living in the ROC ( rest of Canada) for over a year, he must file the federal LICO since he becomes ROC resident.
4- LICO Quebec ( financial assessment) is based on the last 12 months, not a tax year as the federal does(NOA required). NOA Qc, is not mandatory. The only thing is demonstrate, with Canadian sources, that you meet the financial requirements of Quebec over the last 12 months.

NB: Even federal knows that people may plan to move to Quebec, that's why they state that on the forms-- Province of destination-- see the instructions for the sponsorship forms. If you plan to move to Qc, you don't need the LICO.

Quebec does the same for people living outside of the province. It's required to file the form... Intent to live in Quebec.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are completely wrong. Unfortunately you did not read the Quebec immigration process.
1- Express entry for Federal and Arrima for Quebec ( Skilled worker program)
2- Either for Skilled worker or family class....... If you live outside of Quebec, you must file the form... Intent to live/reside in Quebec which an intent, but not enforceable by Quebec because once RP granted, Quebec has no jurisdiction due to the Canada charter of right and freedom.
3-If you file the sponsorship with a NON Quebec address while you reside in Qc for over a year actually. Of course you will receive a PFL since OP becomes automatically Quebec resident and must submit the Quebec undertakings( Csq step). The opposite apply as well, if OP has a Quebec address while living in the ROC ( rest of Canada) for over a year, he must file the federal LICO since he becomes ROC resident.
4- LICO Quebec ( financial assessment) is based on the last 12 months, not a tax year as the federal does(NOA required). NOA Qc, is not mandatory. The only thing is demonstrate, with Canadian sources, that you meet the financial requirements of Quebec over the last 12 months.

NB: Even federal knows that people may plan to move to Quebec, that's why they state that on the forms-- Province of destination-- see the instructions for the sponsorship forms. If you plan to move to Qc, you don't need the LICO.

Quebec does the same for people living outside of the province. It's required to file the form... Intent to live in Quebec.

First of all I never said you needed to have lived in Quebec for the past 12 months to qualify for PGP. I said you have to have filed Quebec tax returns in the past year to qualify and need to remain living in Quebec while your application is being processed. If you look at the MIFI application that you have to submit the required documents that are from Quebec only not from Canada. In order to qualify to be selected for the 1 year NOA you need to provide proof that you filed your taxes in Quebec last year. Qualifying for PGP is not the same as sponsoring a spouse or dependent children or applying for express entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Sponsors living in Quebec
The government of Quebec is responsible for determining whether or not sponsors living in the province of Quebec have the financial ability to sponsor family members and the length of their undertaking.

If the federal eligibility requirements are met, the case processing centre (CPC) will send the sponsor a letter with instructions to download the Ministère de l’Immigrationhttps://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/parrainage/Immigration-Quebec_A0535F.pdf, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI)undertaking kit, complete it and submit it to the MIFI with a copy of the letter from the CPC.

For more information on Quebec’s requirements, call the MIFI’s general information line at 514-864-9191 or 1-877-864-9191 or consult their website

MIFI:
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/parrainage/Immigration-Quebec_A0535F.pdf

Documents obligatoires
1 L’original du formulaire d’évaluation de la capacité financière, dûment rempli et signé
2 Une copie de tous vos feuillets d’impôts (relevé 1, etc.) de la dernière année d’imposition
3 Une copie de votre déclaration personnelle de revenus du Québec pour la dernière année d’imposition, incluant toutes les annexes utilisées, par exemple : Annexe L, Annexe G, TP-80 (Revenus et dépenses d’entreprise ou de profession), etc.
4 Une copie de l’avis de cotisation émis par Revenu Québec pour la dernière année

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all I never said you needed to have lived in Quebec for the past 12 months to qualify for PGP. I said you have to have filed Quebec tax returns in the past year to qualify and need to remain living in Quebec while your application is being processed. If you look at the MIFI application that you have to submit the required documents that are from Quebec only not from Canada. In order to qualify to be selected for the 1 year NOA you need to provide proof that you filed your taxes in Quebec last year. Qualifying for PGP is not the same as sponsoring a spouse or dependent children or applying for express entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Sponsors living in Quebec
The government of Quebec is responsible for determining whether or not sponsors living in the province of Quebec have the financial ability to sponsor family members and the length of their undertaking.

If the federal eligibility requirements are met, the case processing centre (CPC) will send the sponsor a letter with instructions to download the Ministère de l’Immigrationhttps://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/parrainage/Immigration-Quebec_A0535F.pdf, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI)undertaking kit, complete it and submit it to the MIFI with a copy of the letter from the CPC.

For more information on Quebec’s requirements, call the MIFI’s general information line at 514-864-9191 or 1-877-864-9191 or consult their website

MIFI:
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/parrainage/Immigration-Quebec_A0535F.pdf

Documents obligatoires
1 L’original du formulaire d’évaluation de la capacité financière, dûment rempli et signé
2 Une copie de tous vos feuillets d’impôts (relevé 1, etc.) de la dernière année d’imposition
3 Une copie de votre déclaration personnelle de revenus du Québec pour la dernière année d’imposition, incluant toutes les annexes utilisées, par exemple : Annexe L, Annexe G, TP-80 (Revenus et dépenses d’entreprise ou de profession), etc.
4 Une copie de l’avis de cotisation émis par Revenu Québec pour la dernière année
Well, you said during the process the applicant need to remain in Quebec, while the other poster said if applicant lives outside Canada, they must submit an "Intent to reside in Quebec" document. Are you both correct?