+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

mistake: undeclared common law in previous trv/pgwp. is it misrepresentation?

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi all i was looking at some of my older applications as my common law spouse intends to apply for an sowp based on my pgwp.
she currently holds her own pgwp. at the time of application for her pgwp we were not common-law. as such she applied single. at the time of application of my own pgwp (may 2019), we were still not common law, as such i applied single. my pgwp got approved in sept 2019 just days after we 'oficially' had one year of living together (started living together in sept 2018). but i did not realize at the time i had to update my status (i did not even know about common law rules, and we even filed taxes as single which were amended later once we realized the mistake).

we applied for PR together in dec2020 as CEC applications, and as common law of course, stating the start of common of our cohabitation period as sept 2018 (same month my pgwp got approved) and provided all the proof of common law for our pr app. we've passed the eligiblity stage so far, so it seems to be all good.

later on i realized i applied for a trv again as single when at that time i should have said common law (the trv app does not ask when you started living together or anything, only asks for marital status) -- we had not signed the stat declaration, nor even had her in beneficiary forms and we had not even fixed our tax mistake either.

1. can this be considered misrepresentation? we did everything correctly for our pr app, but i had not realized these preivous mistakes. should i write up a webform to acknowledge the mistakes?

2. does the failure to update to common law in my pgwp make my partner eligible for a sowp, given that we were legally not considered common law at the time of application and only became common law in the same days as my pgwp was approved?

thanks in advance, id really appreciate any responses.