+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake found on COPR

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
I just found a mistake on the COPR for my daughter. The city in which she was born was misspelt. I guess we were so focused on catching other mistakes like names, date of birth etc that we totally missed out this one.

On the citizenship form, it asked that we state the birth info I.e city in which she was born, as per Landing documents.

What should I do? Will my daughter's application be delayed as a result of this?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
low You really have to put the correct information on the citizenship form. I would just include a covering letter explaining the error and also include copies of any official documents birth certificate etc you have with the correct spelling.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
low said:
I just found a mistake on the COPR for my daughter. The city in which she was born was misspelt. I guess we were so focused on catching other mistakes like names, date of birth etc that we totally missed out this one.

On the citizenship form, it asked that we state the birth info I.e city in which she was born, as per Landing documents.

What should I do? Will my daughter's application be delayed as a result of this?
How was it misspelled?

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
The city name was truncated - shortened. Example : Vancouv instead of Vancouver.

den_b

Oct 15, 2014
I had the same problem. The COPR for my daughter had truncated place of birth. I found out about that when I started filling a citizenship application for her.

I called CIC, the agent checked if there was enough space in the form to put the full name and then told me that I should apply for correction.
I asked if I could apply for citizenship with truncated place of birth and the agent told that "personally, she thinks that it should be fine to apply but I need to attach the explanation".

Well, this did not convince me so I postponed citizenship application and get COPR corrected first and then applied. It took 5 months to correct COPR.

I decided not to take chances, because all applications could be returned only because of incorrect COPR.

bechay24

Star Member
Dec 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
low said:

Low,

I think you will be fine. My middle name was truncated/shortened/missing the last few letters on my COPR, too. I emailed CIC before and they said it is ok as my full name was long and there was not enough space to write on the form. That was before I landed and in Canada. At present, I have applied for citizenship and my application is already In Process. They didn't so far question me about it.

Hope that helps.

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks guys,...I will submit as plan and indicate the correct spelling on the forms. Hopefully, everything goes smooth.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is normal for them to shorten some info., mostly names of person due to insufficient spacing. My birthplace also was shortened in my COPR. As long as it is clear that it was indeed shortened, you'll be fine. All the best.

viji123

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
HI

I have a doubt. In my daughter COPR place of birth is not mentioned. Although we have shared her place of birth details in the application , it wasn't mentioned in the COPR , will this create any problem while applying for citizenship.

Please advice

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
viji123 said:
HI

I have a doubt. In my daughter COPR place of birth is not mentioned. Although we have shared her place of birth details in the application , it wasn't mentioned in the COPR , will this create any problem while applying for citizenship.

Please advice
No

canadahopeful

Jun 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be ok. In my case, my Last Name was put as first name and first name was put as last name. I had it corrected by applying for correction in the COPR. They basically do not issue a new COPR/landing document as this is your historical document and cannot be issued. Rather, they will put a stamp on the existing COPR indicating that the correction(s) by viewed on the attached form. You are then required to attach the correction form with the COPR whenever you present it or submit your citizenship application.