+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misspelled Name in Application

Nov 3, 2020
I entered my given name incorrectly in visa form as Sathyanaraynan but it should be as sathyanarayanan,I've raised a webform with clear explanation.

So I got a BIL with the incorrect name and also my cic displayed my incorrect name

But 2 days back they updated my correct name in cic account

Is the problem resolved?

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020
I entered my given name incorrectly in visa form as Sathyanaraynan but it should be as sathyanarayanan,I've raised a webform with clear explanation.

So I got a BIL with the incorrect name and also my cic displayed my incorrect name

Is the problem resolved?
May I know when you raised webform??

lomocso

Dec 1, 2020
Hi! guys, I have a question, does the N-ye letter exist in canada? I got my Visa today but the N on my passport and my N on my Visa is not the same, does it matter ?

mgmann0001

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020

Is the problem resolved?
Did u received ur BIL also updated with new name? I have almost similar issue my gender is wrong and raise a webform on 10th novmber but still no reply from their side

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi! guys, I have a question, does the N-ye letter exist in canada? I got my Visa today but the N on my passport and my N on my Visa is not the same, does it matter ?
Which language? Spanish n-ye, as in Señor?

To my knowledge, not in official documents - they will generally use only diacriticals common in English and French, and drop from other letters.

So almost certainly the N (as in english) without the tilde is fine.

Oh - if your passport is machine readable and has a bar in the bottom with all caps that looks like this:
P<UTOERIKSSON<<ANNA<MARIA<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (Ignore the name, taken from an explanatory website)

Then the passport machine readable section and the Canadian visa machine readable section that spell your name should look the same. (Disregard the first letter P or V, P is for passport and V for Visa) [add for clarity: it's actually the first five letters that are not part of name, e.g. V<CAN - V for type of document, < divider character, XXX country issuer, CAN here being Canada]

If those spell your name the same (on visa and passport info page), they have correctly identified you. (Not an expert but fairly sure this is accurate)

These are international standards which disregard the punctuation such as diacriticals.

Last edited:

mgmann0001

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020
Ahhh! What a relief! Did you attend the biometrics appointment with the wrong info or did you wait to receive a new BIL?
I also thought to go with wrong BIL but I called VFS to enquire if they will allow but they refused on phone so i waited for correct BIL and gave my biometrics with correct BIL. I have heard some people give biometrics with wrong BILs as well but I didn’t wanted to take risk and contacted vfs also

douglasr

Feb 20, 2021
I also thought to go with wrong BIL but I called VFS to enquire if they will allow but they refused on phone so i waited for correct BIL and gave my biometrics with correct BIL. I have heard some people give biometrics with wrong BILs as well but I didn’t wanted to take risk and contacted vfs also
Haha so I don't know if I should reschedule my biometrics appointment tbh. I scheduled it for today lol but I don't think there's anything to lose if I get there and they refuse to take my biometrics. I will reschedule it later if that's the case. I've been reading in other forums of people who never got any response from their webforms

douglasr

Feb 20, 2021
Also, just in case I'm not allowed to, how much time did it take for you to receive a new BIL? More than 25 days after raising the webform?