+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missed Post-graduate Work Permit 90 Day Deadline

kelvin23

Oct 11, 2012
I originally submitted this to the Foreign Workers section, but I thought it would also apply in this section. Any help would appreciated.

Hi all,

Today, I find myself in a very unfortunate situation. I graduated on May 29th, 2012. At the time, I had the application for the PGWP ready to go, but I backed off sending it as I wasn't sure at the time whether I wanted pursue a Masters program or not. But, I wasn't aware of the 90 day rule. Had I been aware, I would've applied for the PGWP right away. I started a masters program this term just to try it out, and confirm my suspicions of me not having it in me to complete it. At the same, I was looking for jobs here and there. A friend made me aware this week of the 90 day rule, which I then checked right away with the international office at the university with confirmation. Today, I'm about 40 days past the deadline for applying. From my calls to the CIC call center, and talking to the international office, they told that it wouldn't hurt to apply, but it would probably be rejected. They also recommended to write a letter explaining the situation.

So, I'm wondering if there's anyone here who experienced a similar situation that can provide me with some details on what I can expect, or if there's some kind of loophole that I can exploit with the university to change my graduation to a later date.

I actually went to see a immigration lawyer today but he wasn't able to direct me in a way that could help my situation. I spend the rest of the day trying to talk to the university president to see of there's anything that can be done about my graduation date with no avail.

This has been a very devastating time for me. As I can't wrap my head around how a stupid mistake like that is gonna drastically change the course of my life for the near future.

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
Amazes me how ignorant people are.. i mean really.. is it that hard to find out about the next step in life... i dont know why people dont do their research ahead of time. All i can say right now is apply for the PGWP, its probably going to be refused but the hell with it just apply make sure you write a convincing story. Other than that the only thing you can actually do is apply for a work permit directly which is about the only two options for you.

Tip : you might be considered even late for the PGWP if your profession is in the "list" by list i mean the skill shortages list.