+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation on spousal sponsorship

aerchan

Jan 23, 2017
Typing is fine, and yes, from each of you and to use your own words to describe your true feelings about your relationship. Treated it like an essay. I wrote two pages, I don't know how many pages my wife wrote, cause she didn't want to show me. We met online, lived one and half hour driving apart, I visited her during weekends by taking shuttles, renting cars and even taking greyhound. I took more than one and half pages to detailed how we met, how our relationship evolved, how I felt about my wife (then my girlfriend), why I would like to commit and proposed to her, and I only used the last two paragraphs to express my happiness of my marriage. No, I didn't include any of the bus tickets, rental invoices, hotel charges, gift receipts and other expenses. Our relationship had a lot red flags, second marriage for both of us, I married my wife in two months after I officially divorced, and such. I just prepared my application thoughtfully and with the help of my lawyer, I spent a lot time to research and did my home work, use all the evidences to connect all the dots together to demonstrate a continuous while genuine relationship. For example, I prepared 20 photos, and at last minute, I was sick and admitted into the hospital, my wife was there to take care of me, I realized that this was more of a strong evidence than a regular photo that showing our outings, so I asked the nurse to take the picture and swapped out one of the regular outting photo. I also asked my previous roommate, my parents, my wife's sister, her niece and couple of her friends to write supporting letters in their own words to support our relationship. And the outcome of my application is unexpected, we didn't need interview, no PFL, and our application was approved and PPR was issued in total of 4 and half months from end to end. I am just telling you how powerful it is, if you can take your time and come up a thoughtful game plan to prepare your application.
Thank you for such a detailed response, we met in person way back 2009 he was my brother in laws bandmate and friend, we were at their wedding and was quickly introduced later that night, we had a video of us on that night not hanging out but on that event bec i was busy helping due to the fact that the bride was a close cousin of mine and i was a bridesmaid. He also was busy entertaining and playing in a band that night. I was approved to get it uploaded on youtube and send the link of the video to them.. might me a 10 min video as to prove we were both there but i need to make it thru clips of videos as the wedding coverage were about 30-45 mins... the 2011 chats we made were long gone and we havent kept our old facebook, i did how ever find minimal chats, the visit of 2013 as friends we hung out for a day and never thought of taking a picture because we were just friends but can see an entry exit stamp on passport at the same year around the same time.. we have call logs of 2015 -2016 mostly calls as we dont have much chats back in 2015 because we used Voip apps to call thru internet.. we changed phones as well but luckily i kept my old one in handy so i can take pictures of call logs... this was our first marriage on both parties 6yrs age diff.. it is really scary to have this letter hanging above your head..

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you for such a detailed response, we met in person way back 2009 he was my brother in laws bandmate and friend, we were at their wedding and was quickly introduced later that night, we had a video of us on that night not hanging out but on that event bec i was busy helping due to the fact that the bride was a close cousin of mine and i was a bridesmaid. He also was busy entertaining and playing in a band that night. I was approved to get it uploaded on youtube and send the link of the video to them.. might me a 10 min video as to prove we were both there but i need to make it thru clips of videos as the wedding coverage were about 30-45 mins... the 2011 chats we made were long gone and we havent kept our old facebook, i did how ever find minimal chats, the visit of 2013 as friends we hung out for a day and never thought of taking a picture because we were just friends but can see an entry exit stamp on passport at the same year around the same time.. we have call logs of 2015 -2016 mostly calls as we dont have much chats back in 2015 because we used Voip apps to call thru internet.. we changed phones as well but luckily i kept my old one in handy so i can take pictures of call logs... this was our first marriage on both parties 6yrs age diff.. it is really scary to have this letter hanging above your head..
We only submitted 5 photos that were taken before our marriage, and from the time I met with my wife to our wedding, it was about a year. The way that I wrote my letter was like to pill off onion skins, layer by layer to demonstrate how our relationship evolved, I actually used the words like "we hangout just like friend (without any benefits)", "then after 6 months into our relationship, I was no longer required to sleep on her couch." And at the core of the onion, you detail your feelings about why you think this man/women is the one that you like to commit with, one of my paragraph was like "
To be sincere and to open up yourself to accept someone into your life is always the most difficult part in a relationship. Fortunately, we did it. From the very beginning, we tried not to hide anything about ourselves from each other. We talked about our life experiences, our own marriage failures, our expectations in this relationship, our families, and etc., we shared good times and bad times together, laughed together, being sad together and being silly together, the comfort zone we built up around us, allowed us to expose our true selves to each other without any hesitation. And that was particularly important to me, because the trust, the safe harbor and the caring that my wife built up for me, really helped me to reinstall my self esteem, and literally speaking, it was my wife that turned my life around and put my life back on track again. For that, I shall be grateful forever to my wife."
You gotta present a picture to the person who review your supporting documents, nobody really cares things like how many times you said I love you to your spouse, you have to use the words to lead the VO into your relationship, use your true feelings to convince the VO that your relationship is genuine at every stage of your relationship. By writing like "Yesterday we spend whole day together to celebrate my birthday, last month I flied to see my husband" isn't powerful enough, and if you repeat the same thing dozen times, it just is rather annoying. Photos can be staged, expenses can be pre-setup, but a strong personal feeling that based on other evidences cannot be faked in most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerchan

aerchan

Jan 23, 2017
We only submitted 5 photos that were taken before our marriage, and from the time I met with my wife to our wedding, it was about a year. The way that I wrote my letter was like to pill off onion skins, layer by layer to demonstrate how our relationship evolved, I actually used the words like "we hangout just like friend (without any benefits)", "then after 6 months into our relationship, I was no longer required to sleep on her couch." And at the core of the onion, you detail your feelings about why you think this man/women is the one that you like to commit with, one of my paragraph was like "
To be sincere and to open up yourself to accept someone into your life is always the most difficult part in a relationship. Fortunately, we did it. From the very beginning, we tried not to hide anything about ourselves from each other. We talked about our life experiences, our own marriage failures, our expectations in this relationship, our families, and etc., we shared good times and bad times together, laughed together, being sad together and being silly together, the comfort zone we built up around us, allowed us to expose our true selves to each other without any hesitation. And that was particularly important to me, because the trust, the safe harbor and the caring that my wife built up for me, really helped me to reinstall my self esteem, and literally speaking, it was my wife that turned my life around and put my life back on track again. For that, I shall be grateful forever to my wife."
You gotta present a picture to the person who review your supporting documents, nobody really cares things like how many times you said I love you to your spouse, you have to use the words to lead the VO into your relationship, use your true feelings to convince the VO that your relationship is genuine at every stage of your relationship. By writing like "Yesterday we spend whole day together to celebrate my birthday, last month I flied to see my husband" isn't powerful enough, and if you repeat the same thing dozen times, it just is rather annoying. Photos can be staged, expenses can be pre-setup, but a strong personal feeling that based on other evidences cannot be faked in most cases.
Thank you very much for this, very wonderful piece.. I will start to write a letter and will be asking my husband to do the same... I know that we can push through this, and the video showing both of us there would be a strong enough proof to tie us both up at the event where we first met .. Love is powerful thing and you will go for lengths on end to fight for it..Godbless

Last edited:

LTL8605

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
BC
Category........
Thank you very much for this, very wonderful piece.. I will start to write a letter and will be asking my husband to do the same... I know that we can push through this, and the video showing both of us there would be a strong enough proof to tie us both up at the event where we first met .. Love is powerful thing and you will go for lengths on end to fight for it..Godbless
I think you just need to be honest and try to connect all the dots until you get married. It would be better if every events has documents to prove like pictures or chats. Gud luck!

Reactions: aerchan

aerchan

Jan 23, 2017
I think you just need to be honest and try to connect all the dots until you get married. It would be better if every events has documents to prove like pictures or chats. Gud luck!
I have the video from the event when we met, but chats from 2011 was pretty hard we were friends back then but obv as a teenager you change facebook a lot too and dont have any copies anymore i reached out to my provider they cant backdate that far.. from 2013 we were only friends so we dont take picture as we met up to hang out once..

toksybeee

May 23, 2015
Hello Guys, Still on the misrepresentation issue. Please read below to understand my issue.
September 2009 - I moved to Canada for studies, my dad was paying for my education
2012 - My dad applied for PR from Nigeria- express entry. Where he listed me as one of his dependant/child
June 2014 - Traveled to Nigeria for summer holidays
August 1,2014 - My boyfriend and i Got Married legally. My dad was against the marriage because of religion
August 1, 2014 - coincidentally My father received PPR(Passport request) as well a form to fill if there has been any change in his family dynamics.He August 8, 2014 - submitted his and the entire family's passport to CIC and didn't mention in the change in family form that me(one of his dependant) was now married.
October 2014 - I landed as a permanent resident, that is my status changed from Study Visa to PR
Feb 2016 - Myhusband and i Performed the traditional/cultural marriage ceremony according to my culture in Nigeria
June 2016 - Filed for PR for my spouse and was denied sponsorship. I had ticked on the form that if i am found ineligible to sponsor that that application be returned. So application was returned. The reasons for denial is that I landed as a single when i was actually married.So i cant sponsor my spouse
October 2018 - I became a citizen. I am now looking to refile the application with a letter explaining that i became PR on account of being my father's dependent so i was not privy to the full details of his application. And i was already residing in Canada as a student. I'm also hoping that the date i became a citizen will count and override the PR date instead.This whole immigration issue and being in a long distance marriage has put a strain on marriage and we are almost at the edge of divorce and i dont see our marriage working out if we don't start living together asap. Please advise

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Guys, Still on the misrepresentation issue. Please read below to understand my issue.
September 2009 - I moved to Canada for studies, my dad was paying for my education
2012 - My dad applied for PR from Nigeria- express entry. Where he listed me as one of his dependant/child
August 1,2014 - My boyfriend and i Got Married legally. My dad was against the marriage because of religion
August 1, 2014 - coincidentally My father received PPR(Passport request) as well a form to fill if there has been any change in his family dynamics.He August 8, 2014 - submitted his and the entire family's passport to CIC and didn't mention in the change in family form that me(one of his dependant) was now married.
October 2014 - I landed as a permanent resident, that is my status changed from Study Visa to PR
Feb 2016 - Myhusband and i Performed the traditional/cultural marriage ceremony according to my culture in Nigeria
June 2016 - Filed for PR for my spouse and was denied sponsorship. I had ticked on the form that if i am found ineligible to sponsor that that application be returned. So application was returned. The reasons for denial is that I landed as a single when i was actually married.So i cant sponsor my spouse
October 2018 - I became a citizen. I am now looking to refile the application with a letter explaining that i became PR on account of being my father's dependent so i was not privy to the full details of his application. And i was already residing in Canada as a student. I'm also hoping that the date i became a citizen will count and override the PR date instead.This whole immigration issue and being in a long distance marriage has put a strain on marriage and we are almost at the edge of divorce and i dont see our marriage working out if we don't start living together asap. Please advise
Becoming a Canadian citizen doesn't override anything. Your spouse is still excluded. You were an adult, so you cannot blame it on your father.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Immigrants who failed to declare the existence of a lost family member when they first came to Canada will now get a chance to bring them here under a new two-year pilot project.

The initiative, that begins in September, was one of several announced by Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen on Friday aimed at promoting family reunification and protecting migrants from abuse and violence.

“Newcomers who failed to declare immediate family members as they first came to Canada were barred to sponsor them (later),” said Hussen at a Canadian Bar Association conference in Winnipeg. “Today, we right that wrong.”

Advocates for migrants have long complained that the existing policy creates hardship for refugees to reunite with family members lost during war, violence or natural disasters such as a typhoon, or for migrants who failed to disclose the existence of children they initially didn’t know were theirs.

“The bar had constantly pled with each government to address this issue. This had been a cruel law and finally somebody listened,” said Marina Sedai, chair of the bar association’s immigration law section. “This is the right thing to do.”

The two-year pilot project will be launched Sept. 9 and sponsorship applications for previously undeclared family members that are already underway will be processed under the new rules.
This is not a blanket exception for everyone, so stop posting it everywhere. It applies to resettled refugees, those conferred refugee protection in Canada or those who were themselves sponsored as a spouse, partner or dependent child.

Toksybee was a dependent in an economic app, so the pilot does not apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As others have said, the fact you are now a citizen changes nothing. You still cannot sponsor your husband.

If you want him to move to Canada, the only realistic option that I see is for him to qualify and apply for PR on his own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Good luck.

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
This is not a blanket exception for everyone, so stop posting it everywhere. It applies to resettled refugees, those conferred refugee protection in Canada or those who were themselves sponsored as a spouse, partner or dependent child.

Toksybee was a dependent in an economic app, so the pilot does not apply.
no its not for refugees only ...please read the newsfeed carefully ...

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
In addition, the federal government is launching a pilot project that will allow a legal refugee or immigrant who has failed to declare a family member the chance to sponsor undeclared immediate family members.

In the past, failure to declare a family member meant that a legal immigrant couldn’t sponsor that family member in the future.

“The pilot project for sponsorship of previously undeclared family members will last two years — from Sept. 9, 2019, to Sept. 9, 2021. Applications that are already in process will also benefit from this pilot project,” the government said in a statement.

NEW POLICY ON UNDECLARED FAMILY MEMBERS

As many of you are aware, the implementation of the new Immigration Act (IRPA) brought sweeping new changes with respect to those individuals who landed in Canada but left behind spouses and children and did not declare them upon entry. The “penalty” for last four years has been that Canada Immigration will not regard those family members as members of the family class and hence cannot be sponsored. So for example, if a person entered Canada a decade ago but had a secret wife which was never declared, then that person cannot thereafter sponsor the wife as he never told immigration about her in the first place.

While many view this law as harsh resulting in separation of family and children, the immigration department argues that misrepresentation cannot go unpunished, honesty must be encouraged and that all family members are required to be medically examined before someone can be landed.

The embassies around the world has repeatedly refused such sponsorships and appeals to the appeal division have mostly been thrown out for lack of jurisdiction.

The above policy has changed in certain circumstances as per a policy announced by Canada Immigration this week.

In general, section 25 of IRPA permits officers to approve applications on humanitarian and compassionate grounds and provides officer with the authority to overcome an applicant who is an excluded family member.

As such, the new policy:

Recognizes that a visa officer must review humanitarian and compassionate reasons which are exceptional and deserving from a reasonable person’s point of view.

Recognizes Canada’s continuing obligations under the convention on the Rights of the Child. As such, the immigration department must consider the best interests of a child.

Recognizes that H&C factors are appropriate where family members were declared but not medically examined and it is clear that the sponsor made best efforts to facilitate the examination.

Recognizes that H&C factors are appropriate if the sponsor presents compelling reasons for not having disclosed the existence of a family member i.e. When the existence of a child was not disclosed because the child was born out of wedlock in a culture that does not condone it.

While there is still lots of work to be done, there seems to some compassion on the side of visa officers that will permit certain excluded family members from being approved. It is certainly a step forward.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
no its not for refugees only ...please read the newsfeed carefully ...
I didn't say it was only for refugees. Read what IRCC posted, not what is said in a news article.

Again, the wording dirctly from IRCC is resettled refugees, those conferred refugee protection in Canada or those who were themselves sponsored as a spouse, partner or dependent child.

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
Madam let your husband apply through Express entry. You for don put 16 as d date, na where the f up dey be that.
Now that immigration is aware, you will need him to apply on his own.
If you involve your dad, it may affect his own PR due to misrepresenting you, as he put you on his application as single when you were actually married, his PR may be revoked. To avoid such troubles just allow ur husband apply Express entry. Pele