+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Miscellaneous queries regarding immigration (FSW)

Sherielly28

Mar 26, 2009
Hi! I'm new here...

There are few questions I want to know about immigrating to Canada as an Skilled Worker:

1. I'm a Billing Coordinator and I worked in an International Law Firm. Could you please advise what classification my experience as a Billing Coordinator falls? Is it Skill Level B or C? Please see below regarding my work experiences:

Billing Coordinator: 2 years 11 months
Technical Support Representative: 2 months 17 days
Quality Audit Reviewer: 3 months 29 days
Data Analyst: 2 years 5 months
Digitizer/Encoder: 5 months
Internet Assistant: 6 months

2. Secondly, if I fall in a Skill Level C classification, will I still be qualified to apply as an Immigrant?

3. I have 2 relatives in Canada. One of them is living in Toronto, ON and the other one is in Alberta, Canada. How many points will I get for this?

4. I will be taking IELTS examination on May 30, 2009. If ever I'll fall in a Skill Level C classification and I will be getting high scores (or passing) in IELTS, will I be qualified for FSW program?

Please help. I'm still confused. I'm still hoping my experiences will be qualified as an Skilled Worker, even if it's not on Skill Level 0, A and B list.

Thank you so much! I will be waiting for your response...

Kind regards,
Sherielly : )

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you look for Billing Co-ordinator on the NOC, you will find http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=1&val1=1212&val65=billing+co-ordinator which is a NOC 1212 which is a B-skilled job.

With FSW, you would have to have a job offer to apply since 1212 is not on the list of 38 most wanted occupations, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

If your job duties are similar enough so that your job could classify as a 0111 financial manager or 1111 financial auditor or accountant, you could apply under FSW without a job offer

You will not get double points for having 2 relatives in Canada but one thing you could look at is if your relative in AB can sponsor you under AB family support, check out http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/familystream.html in which case you would not need points or a job offer

Sherielly28

Mar 26, 2009
Dear Leon,

Okay, thanks for the advice.

However, do the list of 38 most wanted positions in Canada vary each year? Does it always have to be that way, depending on the needs of Canada?

I'm planning to submit an application directly through Canadian Embassy here in the Philippines, but I'm confused. If ever I'll submit for an application, and next year or the next coming years my position is in demand, would they be considering my application?

Many thanks,
Sherielly

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The list of 38 has only been around since the end of November last year. I believe they will update it at some point but nobody knows when or if they will be adding jobs or taking jobs out. Yes, you can keep checking the CIC website and hope they change the list but you might wait a long time for that.

It would be better for you if your AB relative can sponsor you or if you can apply as an FSW under one of the jobs that is on the list.

Sherielly28

Mar 26, 2009
Is it okay to submit my application and then wait for their advice? Or they will just return it to me? I'm okay with the other requirements... I have enough work experience, educational background, funds, language abilities, relatives in Canada, age factor...etc. The only problem is that my job is not currently on the list. I'm currently reviewing for my IELTS examination probably on May 2009. I'm just confused because if ever my application is "not valid" because of my work experience(s) that is not included on the list, I will pospone my IELTS examination (IELTS results is valid only for 1 year).

Please help. Many thanks for your advice...I really appreciate it~

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't meet the requirements, they will just return it to you.

The requirements are as follows:

For FSW Category 1: You have at least 1 year experience in the last 10 years in a job that is on the 38-list
.. Category 2: You have a certified job offer (AEO)
.. Category 3: You are already in Canada on a student visa or work permit for 12 months

PNP: You have a job offer or family sponsorship

QSW: You speak French and otherwise fulfill requirements for QSW and wouldn't mind living in Quebec

If you don't meet the requirements for FSW Category 1 because you have no experiences in jobs on the 38-list, you can:
a) Try to get experience in a job on the 38 list
b) Keep checking back to see if they list gets updated
c) Forget about Category 1 and try for something else.

I think option c is the best. If you can't get a job offer, you could consider going on a student visa for one year and then apply under Category 3. Postpone your IELTS for now. Take it before you are ready to apply for something you qualify for.