+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor's Proof of Citizenship & Travel Documents Xmas trip to US and return

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the Proof of Citizenship application for our daughter, the processing time is too much longer than the published processing time. I don't know what we can do about it.

Our daughter was born in the US and she holds a valid US passport and birth certificate. I filed her proof of citizenship application at the Canadian Embassy in China in 2019 and received AOR by Nov 2019. Due to Covid, we decided to move back to Canada, the embassy told me that my daughter can't use her US passport to enter Canada since technically she is Canadian and she has to use a Canadian passport instead. I got her 2 yrs Canadian passport from the embassy in Mar 2020 and we moved back to Canada in 2021. I updated our new contact information for her application. But the application status has been showing as "in process” since Aug 2020 till now which is already 26 months, over 10 months longer than the published 16 months processing time. I also sent an urgent request due to the little one needing to get her SIN for opening an RESP account, go to junior kindergarten, and apply for a new passport (her 2 yrs passport from the embassy expired).

Another question is we are planning to drive down to the US to visit our friends and relatives during Xmas, I know she can her US birth certificate and passport to enter the US, but not sure if she is ok to use the same documents to return.

Any suggestions or comments on the above questions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Fang