+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor who was forced out of Canada against will due to parent's decision.

aaront

Jan 5, 2014
Dear Leon,

I've lived in Canada under the status of a Permanent Resident until my parents decided to leave despite my objections. I was 10 years old at that time and as you can guess there was nothing I could really do about it but agree. I was just beginning to fit in and life couldn't have been better until they decided to take all that away from me and I couldn't do anything about it. My permanent resident card was about to expire and I urged them to let me back and renew it but they wouldn't allow it, and I had to let go by and expire, once again against my free will. I lost all hope in ever returning to Canada and the comfort of life there. It simply became a dream that I'd ever return and live there once again and I simply accepted the fact I was never going back.

Not until I came by one of the posts regarding a case similar to mine. To be honest that changed everything. It honestly changed all of my plan once I found out that there was still hope of me returning using a Travel Document and as you mentioned once that people with cases similar to mine have a good chance of getting it. I've been honestly imagining for the past weeks how I'd live there and what I'do, I'm really that desperate to go back. Canada is basically home to me. I read several posts and I got the major idea regarding the issue however I still have a few questions.

I'm graduating this year and I leave for university in a few months an I'm desperate to go to university in Canada. I thankfully got an acceptance from several Canadian Universities, and as you already probably know they begin in September 2014 and if I have any hope of returning to Canada to attend university there I must do it as soon as possible.
I'm currently 17, I graduate in June and I turn 18 at the very end of August. so my questions go as follows:

1- Must I be 18 to enter Canada using a travel document? Or I can once I get it?
As I mentioned I graduate in June and I turn 18 in August. Even though I can wait until I'm 18 if necessary it would be far better if I'm able to enter Canada at a previous time so I can settle in and familiarize myself with my surroundings. As I said I turn 18 at the end of August so if I need to wait until I'm 18, there would be very little time between the moment I arrive at Canada and the moment I begin university and I would need to rush everything. So Can I enter Canada with a the Travel Document at the age of 17, or must I do it when I'm 18?

2- Would there be a problem if I apply for a Travel Document while I'm 17 instead of 18 while mentioning that I'll be turning 18 very soon? I mean would it affect my likelihood of getting a travel document? Because as you can probably figure applying for a travel document at the end of August would be impossible seeing I need to start University by the beginning of September.

3- If I do get into Canada using a Travel Document, how many years must I stay to get my permanent resident back? And do I have to do them consecutively? I mean for example if it's 3 years can I leave Canada for a month and come back or must I do them after each other?

Thank you for your help :3

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t129995.0.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In your shoes, I would try applying. Mention when you are turning 18 and that you want to go to college in Canada and include copies of your acceptance letters. If you get the TD, you can renew your PR card once you are in Canada. You should stay 2/5 years in order to meet the RO again. If you stay a year and then go back home to visit for a month on your summer holidays, I don't think you would have a problem coming back.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
I believe CIC will look very favourably upon your application for PR restoration since you are applying at the earliest opportunity possible (turning 18)

aaront

Jan 5, 2014
@Msafiri Thank you that was helpful :D

@Leon Yeah I get it now thank you :D but I still have the question of whether I can enter Canada with my TD even if I'm below the age of 18 or must I be 18 to be able to return?

ly_ygtq

Dec 27, 2013
aaront said:
@ Msafiri Thank you that was helpful :D

@ Leon Yeah I get it now thank you :D but I still have the question of whether I can enter Canada with my TD even if I'm below the age of 18 or must I be 18 to be able to return?
You can apply for TD under 18, but need your parent's signature since u r a minor

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't actually know if there are any rules against giving a TD to a person who is under 18. Some would have brought the point that if you are under 18, you may need a guardian in Canada as you are a minor. However, according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob339.asp a visa officer may decide that you do not need a guardian as you are already 17.

In some provinces, the age of majority is 19, in others it's 18. I don't know if it will pose a problem for you living alone in a province where you are a minor. You can see the age of majority by province here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp