+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MINOR CHILD : HOW TO APPLY

SHUBHAKAR

Jul 19, 2017
HI,
I have got a job offer and the positive LMIA approval .
Im in the process of applying for my work permit and spouse open work permit.
The confusion is regarding my minor son. which visa type should he apply?

Study permit: we dont have any acceptance from elementary schools as of now.
or
Visitor visa..... How will he complete his studies then as ithis visa is only for 6 months duration.

Please help as to how we should proceed.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
HI,

or
Visitor visa..... How will he complete his studies then as ithis visa is only for 6 months duration.

your son will need a visitors visa or study permit depending on his age. how old is he?

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
He is 8 years old
he will need a visitors visa. if you know the city that you are going to be living in, check out the website of the school board and confirm if he would need a study permit in addition or not. since he will still be in elementary school though i doubt he will need a study permit.

SHUBHAKAR

Jul 19, 2017
he will need a visitors visa. if you know the city that you are going to be living in, check out the website of the school board and confirm if he would need a study permit in addition or not. since he will still be in elementary school though i doubt he will need a study permit.
thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HI,

or

As the child is 8 years old, you are expected to apply for a study permit. You are not required to submit an acceptance letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.

SHUBHAKAR

Jul 19, 2017
As the child is 8 years old, you are expected to apply for a study permit. You are not required to submit an acceptance letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.
Ok. , so ideally first we need to get the work permit and then separately apply for the child's study permit.

May 1, 2017
Ok. , so ideally first we need to get the work permit and then separately apply for the child's study permit.
Hello, I am in the same boat now as you were. Can you help me? How could you take your child with you? Have you filled up the custodian forms? what have you filled in address and place of study.
My situation is this: I am currently in india with a very recently approved OWP, Wife on study permit in Canada. Want to take daughter (who is 9) to Canada with me. I have seen the discussion in this group and concluded that my daughter would be needing a study permit.

How did you fill up the Custodian forms? My daughter would be staying with us and we are neither Canadian Citizens nor Permanent Residents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I am in the same boat now as you were. Can you help me? How could you take your child with you? Have you filled up the custodian forms? what have you filled in address and place of study.
My situation is this: I am currently in india with a very recently approved OWP, Wife on study permit in Canada. Want to take daughter (who is 9) to Canada with me. I have seen the discussion in this group and concluded that my daughter would be needing a study permit.

How did you fill up the Custodian forms? My daughter would be staying with us and we are neither Canadian Citizens nor Permanent Residents.
Your daughter only needs a TRV. You can request that the validity of her visitor status coincide with you and your wife's permits.

VenkateshMR

Jul 25, 2019
Hi,

I am in the process of applying work permit for me and my son is 8 years old. When I applied I just opted "visitor" instead of Study for my son. Now as part of application process I have been asked the below in the request letter
"Client Information: Your son, is over six years of age and is accompanying you to Canada for more than six months. Please advise us in writing whether or not your son intends to study in Canada. If yes, please submit separate application for study permit online, with the appropriate processing fees for him.".

Does the above mean , it is enough if I just submit a declaration document saying YES my son will study , get the work permit for me and Visitor visa for my son OR should I be applying a study permit along with the current application processing?.

Also in one of the canada immigration law site it is given as below for Section R188:- Is this true?. Based on option 1d study permit is not required if the nationality is Indian?.

No permit required
(1) A foreign national may study in Canada without a study permit
  • (a) if they are a family member or a member of the private staff of a foreign representative who is properly accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and who is in Canada to carry out official duties as a diplomatic agent, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any international organization of which Canada is a member;
  • (b) as a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, including a person who has been designated as a civilian component of those armed forces;
  • (c) if the duration of their course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period for their stay authorized upon entry into Canada; or
  • (d) if they are an Indian.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am in the process of applying work permit for me and my son is 8 years old. When I applied I just opted "visitor" instead of Study for my son. Now as part of application process I have been asked the below in the request letter
"Client Information: Your son, is over six years of age and is accompanying you to Canada for more than six months. Please advise us in writing whether or not your son intends to study in Canada. If yes, please submit separate application for study permit online, with the appropriate processing fees for him.".

Does the above mean , it is enough if I just submit a declaration document saying YES my son will study , get the work permit for me and Visitor visa for my son OR should I be applying a study permit along with the current application processing?.

Also in one of the canada immigration law site it is given as below for Section R188:- Is this true?. Based on option 1d study permit is not required if the nationality is Indian?.

No permit required
(1) A foreign national may study in Canada without a study permit
  • (a) if they are a family member or a member of the private staff of a foreign representative who is properly accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and who is in Canada to carry out official duties as a diplomatic agent, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any international organization of which Canada is a member;
  • (b) as a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, including a person who has been designated as a civilian component of those armed forces;
  • (c) if the duration of their course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period for their stay authorized upon entry into Canada; or
  • (d) if they are an Indian.
Wrong kind of Indian. It is referring to First Nations.

If you intend for your child to study, apply for the study permit as directed.

VenkateshMR

Jul 25, 2019
Wrong kind of Indian. It is referring to First Nations.

If you intend for your child to study, apply for the study permit as directed.
My question here is , if I just submit the client information doc saying YES he will study and I will submit a separate application, will they not process the current Visitor visa for my son and my work permit?. OR will it be put on hold until I submit the study permit?.

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
My question here is , if I just submit the client information doc saying YES he will study and I will submit a separate application, will they not process the current Visitor visa for my son and my work permit?. OR will it be put on hold until I submit the study permit?.
hello, i know its old post, but what did you end up doing? if you applied study permit separately for your child, please share how did you do it? form filling, letter of acceptance etc. I'll appreciate your response!

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
hello, i know its old post, but what did you end up doing? if you applied study permit separately for your child, please share how did you do it? form filling, letter of acceptance etc. I'll appreciate your response!
Hi, for the letter of acceptance I know when I applied for my kids, my lawyer wrote: to be decided; you don’t need to have or attach the letter of acceptance for your kids study permit.