+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor child entering Canada with international student

Twee

Oct 31, 2018
Hi buddies,

Can anyone help me with the below?

I have student visa. My daughter (4 yrs) has visitor visa (multiple, granted in 2017).

- can she enter Canada with me with her visitor visa and stay with me for 2 years?
- she has not yet entered Canada since the visa was granted. Is there any problem with her visa (say, “invalid”...)?

I really need your help on this. Thank you all.

Twee

Oct 31, 2018
Did you add her as a dependent on your application?
How was she granted a visitor Visa in 2017? As part of your application?
Also, if you are traveling without your spouse:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1022&top=16
Thank you dude.

When I applied my study permit last year, I did not add my kids as dependents as I did not plan to bring them with me in 2018. However, due to additional medical test my student visa was granted only in December 2018. I will enter Canada in June 2019 and want to bring my daughter with me.

My daughter’s visitor visa was granted when I planned to visit Canada with her in 2017. However she was sick and the visit was cancelled. Till now she has never used her visitor visa. I wonder if the visa would be cancelled for not being used within 1 year from the issued date!

Twee

Oct 31, 2018
It might be a good idea to contact IRCC directly to get a clarification but if she has a valid TRV, she can and would be allowed to board a plane to Canada unless you were informed by CIC that her visa is canceled.
On arrival, they will ask you the story as you had indicated that you will not be bringing any ddependents. Most likely they will admit her as a visitor but there's a slight chance it might go sideways so it's better to contact them and keep a record of that communication. Google "Ircc Web Form" to find a way to contact them.

Also, she won't need a study permit and can attend school as a visitor if she needs to:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=488&top=15
Very helpful indeed. Thank you so much!

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
Did you add her as a dependent on your application?
How was she granted a visitor Visa in 2017? As part of your application?
Also, if you are traveling without your spouse:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1022&top=16
This letter is mandatory and you will be asked by the cbsa officer :
  • A letter of authorization signed by the parent who is not travelling, containing their address and telephone number, in English or French if possible,
Make sure you also carry the child's father's passport copies etc to further prove the relationship. As soon as they see a minor child with what appears to be to be one parent , you will be asked questions. There's nothing to worry, those guys are doing their job .
Dm me if you need help. I did this 3 years ago with my then 2-year-old.

Reactions: Twee

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi buddies,

Can anyone help me with the below?

I have student visa. My daughter (4 yrs) has visitor visa (multiple, granted in 2017).

- can she enter Canada with me with her visitor visa and stay with me for 2 years?
- she has not yet entered Canada since the visa was granted. Is there any problem with her visa (say, “invalid”...)?

I really need your help on this. Thank you all.
Hi

Yes, she can enter with you. Request a Visitor Record to match the length of your study permit.

There is no requirement to use a TRV within a certain amount of time. As long as it is valid, it is fine.

You don't need to contact IRCC about this.

Reactions: Twee

mcmurecode

May 1, 2021
This letter is mandatory and you will be asked by the cbsa officer :
  • A letter of authorization signed by the parent who is not travelling, containing their address and telephone number, in English or French if possible,
Make sure you also carry the child's father's passport copies etc to further prove the relationship. As soon as they see a minor child with what appears to be to be one parent , you will be asked questions. There's nothing to worry, those guys are doing their job .
Dm me if you need help. I did this 3 years ago with my then 2-year-old.

Good day Madam, how are you doing today??? I read your post, I’m in this category. I want to travel with my 8 months old child, is there a specific visitor visa application form for minor??? Please I need your advice ASAP.
Thanks, GOD bless

Madalinamaria

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
I am in the same situation, my daughter has Eta and i have study permit, can she travel without letter of authorization in this times!?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good day Madam, how are you doing today??? I read your post, I’m in this category. I want to travel with my 8 months old child, is there a specific visitor visa application form for minor??? Please I need your advice ASAP.
Thanks, GOD bless
You are responding to a 2 year old post. You apply for a visitor visa. Do you have your study permit? If so you apply together.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: Madalinamaria

Madalinamaria

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
When are your leaving? These are the current rules. It says that if you didn’t apply with your family at the same time, you need a letter. If you are not leaving for a while, then apply for the letter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family
I will begin in September but as i can see I don t need a letter, she has Eta

To be able to enter Canada, your family member needs to have one of the following:

• a study or work permit
  • a letter of introduction showing they’ve been approved for a study or work permit
  • a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA)