+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Child application

carnes17

Nov 18, 2020
Good day,could someone help me for my sons application. I was approved in study visa as well as my spouse under open work permit. But my sons application was refused under visit visa due to he is in school age. He is now 6 years old and base on the refusal letter he requires a study permit. But upon reading all guides in minor children who are accompanying dependent of their parents who has an approved study or work permit it does not need a study permit and even when I did the online and file him under study permit his application is ineligible.Glad to hear a good advice on what type of application I can apply to him. Thank you and God Bless.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What did the refusal specifically state? Immigration officers seem to be refusing visitor visas and asking for study permits for minors. Do immigration laws specifically state that minors do not need a study permit accompanying parents? Would have to look that up. Why is his application ineligible when you tried to apply for a study permit?

Last edited:

carnes17

Nov 18, 2020
Thank you for kind response. In the refusal it states in the refusal letter that "Your child is of school age and requires a study permit." It is kinda confusing because based on the embassy guide minor children do not requires a study permit. And when I am about to file his application online under study permit he is ineligible because i did not provide a DLI number. I am badly need your advice. Thank you and Keep safe.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
More and more officers are asking that minor children apply for a study permit. Not sure why. Other can advise but you need approval from the school board your son will attend. Then you can apply for the study permit.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
My daughter 2.5yrs old and she got first ghost update on Nov 23rd after that there's no any update. She is under TRV any one suggest that exact timeline for approval. I'm under spouse open work permit but I got visa approved on Nov 23rd. We just waiting for her Visa approval. Please provide the details.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My daughter 2.5yrs old and she got first ghost update on Nov 23rd after that there's no any update. She is under TRV any one suggest that exact timeline for approval. I'm under spouse open work permit but I got visa approved on Nov 23rd. We just waiting for her Visa approval. Please provide the details.
Because they are 2 different applications they aren't processed at the same time. You will also need special authorization to travel if your spouse is already in Canada. Would suggest applying for GCMS notes.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
Because they are 2 different applications they aren't processed at the same time. You will also need special authorization to travel if your spouse is already in Canada. Would suggest applying for GCMS notes.
Yes, my husband is in Canada but he temporary residence visa holder. So whether he can apply GCMS notes? Whether it's useful? Please do needful.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
He can apply and show the status of the application. Even with approved visas, you still need written authorization to travel.
I knew about written authorization. But this letter will issue once we both get approved right. But not even got approved for daughter then how it's possible for written authorization.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
You can do both at the same time.
Please let know the clear view regarding this. Sorry I can't get you. Because I have a stamped passport but she not even have a approval letter then how it's possible to apply for written authorization?. As u said if I applied means I only get authorization right? Then, what about her?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please let know the clear view regarding this. Sorry I can't get you. Because I have a stamped passport but she not even have a approval letter then how it's possible to apply for written authorization?. As u said if I applied means I only get authorization right? Then, what about her?
Every individual needs to apply separately for authorization to travel.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
Every individual needs to apply separately for authorization to travel.
Oh okay. Is this recent update? Because last October month my husband friend applied for both his spouse and his son jointly and they got written authorization now they are Canada. That's why I'm asking.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh okay. Is this recent update? Because last October month my husband friend applied for both his spouse and his son jointly and they got written authorization now they are Canada. That's why I'm asking.
For special authorization? An OWP and TRV are two separate permits/visas so you couldn't apply as a family. I have seen a case where the mother attempted to include her daughter on her special authorization form and she only received approval for her. She had to apply for the special authorization for the child after she discovered that ever person needs special authorization.

Anandhi karthikeyan

Dec 7, 2020
For special authorization? An OWP and TRV are two separate permits/visas so you couldn't apply as a family. I have seen a case where the mother attempted to include her daughter on her special authorization form and she only received approval for her. She had to apply for the special authorization for the child after she discovered that ever person needs special authorization.
Thank you so much for your guidance.