+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor birth certificate does not have his name. Applying for Canadian citizenship

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Hi All,

I have one query. Please guide me. I filled my 14 year old son's citizenship application under subsection 5(1). I just got the application back as I am asked to attach his birth certificate. My son's birth certificate that has been issued by MCD (Municipal corporation of Delhi) does not have his name on it. When I applied for PR in 2017, I attached a notarized affidavit mentioning that as per Hindu customs the child is named after 40 days of birth & when the birth certificate was issued we had not named him by then. We also mentioned that the parents names are same as mentioned in his passport. Shall I attach the same affidavit along with his birth certificate? If not the please suggest how to proceed.

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Ideally you should have got an updated birth certificate after the name was decided.
That is the process for MCD.
Given the current situation I am not sure.
Maybe try sending a letter of explanation with passport pages and any other proof of the date of birth and name together with your name and affidavit. And pray!

wish you all the best

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I will do as suggested. Fingers crossed. Will update this thread once things get sorted out so that this thread can be useful for others looking for similar information.

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Here is the update as promised. I was able to get my son's birth certificate through MCD website with name added. I have resent citizenship application now :)

Reactions: Doom__V